Xenial 7.5 missing Trash & mydbox quickpet

Using applications, configuring, problems
SoftSupp

Xenial 7.5 missing Trash & mydbox quickpet

#1 Post by SoftSupp »

Dear all,

I had been running Tahr for some time and was very happy with it, except for the CD-Burning issue of PBurn.

So, I've 'upgraded' to Xenial 7.5 - wonderful!! Thank you!! Except...

1) Missing trash.
The trash icon shows no files at all - so emptying the trash has not effect. However, when I use XFE and look in /root/.local/share/Trash/ Files (and/info) everything I've deleted is still there.

How can I empty the trash ?

2) Mydbox and Dropbox

Using Quickpet Xenial, I downloaded and installed mydbox, but it asked for my id via Palemoon each time I started the PC. Thinking I'd somehow screwed up the installation, I went to PPM to uninstall it - but it didnt show.

Then I attempted to use the utility mydbox-1.2_noarch.remove to uninstall it - that didnt appear to do anything. As a final attempt, I used Pfind to move all mydbox files to the trash (see problem above). However, Xenial Quickpet says it cant install mydbox as it's already installed.

How can I remove mydbox so that I can re-install it using the Xenial Quickpet ?
Is mydbox meant to show up in ppm ?
Is there a workaround for having to re-link Dropbox to an account each time I start up ?

Thanks in advance

Pete...

matchpoint

#2 Post by matchpoint »

Pete, concerning Trash, right click, "App dir - Look Inside," then right click - "Edit Item." Do yours match?

As for that other item, is this what you installed?

Re-download MyDbox, right click and extract its contents. Run the puninstall.sh script.
Attachments
clean_boot.jpg
(42.18 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

SoftSupp

#3 Post by SoftSupp »

Hi Matchpoint,

Thanks for the rapid reply.

1) Trash

Yes. When I right click on my Trash icon, it shows me that the trash icon is (what appears to be) a simlink which is located in /usr/local/trash/apps/Trash. All the files that you display in your screen dump also appear in my area.

2) Mydbox - Dropbox

Yes. It's version 1.2 which I got from QuickPet, but I did notice that version 1.2.4 is mentioned in that thread.

Regards

Pete...

matchpoint

#4 Post by matchpoint »

Concerning Trash, did you happen to install Thunar?

For MyDbox, what did you choose here?
Attachments
ss_dbi.jpg
(31.38 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

SoftSupp

#5 Post by SoftSupp »

No, I've not installed Thunar (what is it?)

At the Mydbox user choice dialogue box, I chose 'Run as Root'

Regards

Pete...

matchpoint

#6 Post by matchpoint »

Not sure what happened there Pete.

I gave it a spin, wasn't happy, and so bailed on it in favor of mikeb's Dropbox_GUI.

matchpoint

#7 Post by matchpoint »

That you can't install a fresh copy tells me you've got a lingering reference in ~/.packages.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

1) Missing trash.
The trash icon shows no files at all - so emptying the trash has not effect. However, when I use XFE and look in /root/.local/share/Trash/ Files (and/info) everything I've deleted is still there.
The trash (desktop icon) that xenialpup uses puts stuff in

Code: Select all

/root/.trash
when stuff is put into trash.

If you have /root/.local/share/Trash/ that is not the trash used by the desktop icon trash.
If you are using a different file manager.
It may have it's own trash.

So, when you send something to the trash, drag and drop it onto the desktop trash icon.
In Rox file manager you should get a right click menu option to select trash.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

SoftSupp

#9 Post by SoftSupp »

Bigpup, you're absolutely right. (Why didnt i see this before?) I should have used the 'Empty Trash' from within XFE.

Matchpoint, Yes. Once i'd removed a reference within /root/.packages/user-installed-packages, Xenial Quickpet was ok to install Mydbox.

Thanks for your help

Pete...