Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Oct 2018, 13:37
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Xenialpup 7.5 CE black screen blinking line after install
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
jamespoo

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 07:58    Post subject:  

i plugged back in the usb to load puppy up and it did not start loading a live version of puppy it just loaded grubfordos and i took the usb out and then selected the os so i think grubfordos install on the usb i think this could be the problem
foxpup

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 07:59    Post subject:  

When you boot from usb, look on you SSD. You should find a file "grldr" there because you installed a bootloader and grldr is the bootloader for grub4dos. Rename it to "ntldr", shut down, take out your usb and try to boot from SSD.
If I am wright that the mbr of windows is still there, it will find "ntldr" and boot grub4dos!
foxpup

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 08:02    Post subject:  

jamespoo wrote:
i plugged back in the usb to load puppy up and it did not start loading a live version of puppy it just loaded grubfordos and i took the usb out and then selected the os so i think grubfordos install on the usb i think this could be the problem
Have you changed anything on your usb? Why did you take out the usb? Let it boot the Puppy on your usb.
jamespoo

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 08:06    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
When you boot from usb, look on you SSD. You should find a file "grldr" there because you installed a bootloader and grldr is the bootloader for grub4dos. Rename it to "ntldr", shut down, take out your usb and try to boot from SSD.
If I am wright that the mbr of windows is still there, it will find "ntldr" and boot grub4dos!

THANKS BOOTING NOW TY thanks for the help ty

also do i have to install the whole xenialpup os again when there is an update or is there a way on the os to check for and install updates or is the os not being updated?
foxpup

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 08:20    Post subject:  

EDIT: I got the quote all wrong here. Correction. Wink
jamespoo wrote:
Great! You're welcome!
Quote:
also do i have to install the whole xenialpup os again when there is an update or is there a way on the os to check for and install updates or is the os not being updated?
In Menu>Setup I find Xenialpup updates. You could check that from time to time. But in general Puppy does not need a lot of updating.
If you have a problem, have a look in the thread of the puppy you are using.
There is a lot of developping going on which you can follow more or less on this forum.
I like to look for a new puppy in development to try it out. You get a pretty good idea subscribing to the Puppy Linux Newsletters also.

One tip for newcomers: install Puppy frugally and not full: It is fast, easy, you can do it manually yourself, it is safer and it is the way Puppy is made to be installed.

Last edited by foxpup on Mon 05 Feb 2018, 04:54; edited 1 time in total
jamespoo

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 19:46    Post subject:  

[quote="foxpup"]
jamespoo wrote:
foxpup wrote:
Great! You're welcome!
Quote:
In Menu>Setup I find Xenialpup updates. You could check that from time to time. But in general Puppy does not need a lot of updating.
If you have a problem, have a look in the thread of the puppy you are using.
There is a lot of developping going on which you can follow more or less on this forum.
I like to look for a new puppy in development to try it out. You get a pretty good idea subscribing to the Puppy Linux Newsletters also.

One tip for newcomers: install Puppy frugally and not full: It is fast, easy, you can do it manually yourself, it is safer and it is the way Puppy is made to be installed.

thanks
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: