Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 27 May 2018, 21:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
What's with FIDO? (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
kuman11

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb 2018, 22:12    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote

'With Barry K gone from Puppy'

Is Barry K up to something else?
dancytron

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb 2018, 22:14    Post subject:  

Gordie wrote:
dancytron wrote:
jafadmin wrote:
To run Chromium as ROOT:

On mine, in /usr/local/bin you will find the "defaultbrowser" script which starts chromium. You need to add the "--user-data-dir" switch to the exec command like this:
Code:

exec chromium-browser "--user-data-dir" "--enable-extensions" "--allow-outdated-plugins"

I hope this works for you ..

If that doesn't work, try adding "--no-sandbox" on the end of it.

--no-sandbox was close but no cigar. There is a banner at the top of the browser complaining about an unsupported command-line flg. This is not what I am looking for

Add "-disable-infobars"

Either that, or run it as spot.
Gordie

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb 2018, 23:55    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
Gordie wrote:
dancytron wrote:
jafadmin wrote:
To run Chromium as ROOT:

On mine, in /usr/local/bin you will find the "defaultbrowser" script which starts chromium. You need to add the "--user-data-dir" switch to the exec command like this:
Code:

exec chromium-browser "--user-data-dir" "--enable-extensions" "--allow-outdated-plugins"

I hope this works for you ..

If that doesn't work, try adding "--no-sandbox" on the end of it.

--no-sandbox was close but no cigar. There is a banner at the top of the browser complaining about an unsupported command-line flg. This is not what I am looking for

Add "-disable-infobars"

Either that, or run it as spot.

Thanks for the ideas. Actually have tried all those ideas and none of them work. Running as Spot does not work either. Just get an error telling me not to run as root.
Maybe --user-data-dir used to work but I am unable to get it to work now. Running Chromium as FIDO works but not ROOT and not SPOT
spiritwild

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 00:02    Post subject:  

......pineapple cake Laughing
Gordie

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 00:19    Post subject:  

It should not make any difference but I took a ready made Slackware package from the 14.1 64-bit repository and installed it. Chromium 56.0.2924.76
There is no problem running it as a USER, just not as ROOT.
dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 00:23    Post subject:  

Gordie wrote:
It should not make any difference but I took a ready made Slackware package from the 14.1 64-bit repository and installed it. Chromium 56.0.2924.76

The only way to make it run as root is to use "--no-sandbox" . If you don't like the warning, then use "--disable-infobars" .

It works.

If you don't like that, I am 99% sure there is no other way.
Gordie

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 00:38    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
Gordie wrote:

The only way to make it run as root is to use "--no-sandbox" . If you don't like the warning, then use "--disable-infobars" .

It works.

If you don't like that, I am 99% sure there is no other way.

Thank you. I will give er a whirl and let you know tomorrow now cause it is late and this old man is tired
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 09:13    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
FIDO has been "experimental" because it was never totally worked on to make sure it had no bugs.
It was made to the point it would work, but never fully tested to 100% bug free.

Spot and Fido were in answer to people complaining about running stuff as root.
Barry K put it into Puppy to see how others liked using it and if they found any problems.
Thing is, not too many used it and it never really got fully tested and code tweaked.

With Barry K gone from Puppy.
I am not sure anyone really understands how it works and can tweak the code to fix any bugs.

If it works for you. Use it!
However, if it gives you any problems, good luck correcting them.

This info may help you.
http://www.puppylinux.org/wikka/spot?redirect=no

fwiw 01micko started looking into to Fido again around March 2016:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=896477#896477

I think it was probably due to the fixes around that time that it is working smooth for Gordie. Smile Though it sounds like the only reason Gordie is using Fido is because his reliance on Chromium browser and not figuring out how to run it as spot or root? The only blink based browser I'll touch is the Slimjet by OscarTalks (which works for me as is with no hoops to jump through).
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 11:27    Post subject:  

@Gordie:-

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this one. Personally, I've always found that 'user-data-dir' by itself WON'T accomplish anything. You need to use the switch to specify that alternate location. Like this:-

Code:
--user-data-dir=/root/.config/chromium

In certain Pups I run multiple versions of the same browser (usually Chrome). I get around this by creating the '.../.config/google-chrome' directory in a different location.....sometimes /usr/lib/.config/google-chrome, sometimes in /usr/local, sometimes /usr/share.

The Blink-based browsers couldn't give a monkeys where they're actually installed, so long as they know where to find all the 'pieces of the puzzle'. You don't normally need to specify the location of the .cache directory; so long as you create a .cache directory in the same location as the .config directory, the browser will automatically create its cache directory inside it.

If you want to manually specify it, however, you do it like this:-

For settings:-

Code:
--user-data-dir=/xxxx/.config/(chrome, chromium, slimjet, iron.....whatever)

For cache:-

Code:
--disk-data-dir=/xxxx/.cache/(chrome, chromium, slimjet, iron.....whatever)

Always make sure to start the 'switch' with the double-dash ('--'); this tells the browser that a switch argument is about to follow. And do make sure to leave a space between exec-line 'switch' arguments.....regardless of the number in use. Chromium has literally hundreds and hundreds of these available; for a comprehensive list, have a look here:-

https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/

Most people have absolutely no idea of just what a complex piece of coding a web browser really is. So long as it works, that's all they're concerned about.

Mike. Wink

Gordie

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb 2018, 13:57    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
@Gordie:-

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this one. Personally, I've always found that 'user-data-dir' by itself WON'T accomplish anything. You need to use the switch to specify that alternate location. Like this:-

Code:
--user-data-dir=/root/.config/chromium

In certain Pups I run multiple versions of the same browser (usually Chrome). I get around this by creating the '.../.config/google-chrome' directory in a different location.....sometimes /usr/lib/.config/google-chrome, sometimes in /usr/local, sometimes /usr/share.

The Blink-based browsers couldn't give a monkeys where they're actually installed, so long as they know where to find all the 'pieces of the puzzle'. You don't normally need to specify the location of the .cache directory; so long as you create a .cache directory in the same location as the .config directory, the browser will automatically create its cache directory inside it.

If you want to manually specify it, however, you do it like this:-

For settings:-

Code:
--user-data-dir=/xxxx/.config/(chrome, chromium, slimjet, iron.....whatever)

For cache:-

Code:
--disk-data-dir=/xxxx/.cache/(chrome, chromium, slimjet, iron.....whatever)

Always make sure to start the 'switch' with the double-dash ('--'); this tells the browser that a switch argument is about to follow. And do make sure to leave a space between exec-line 'switch' arguments.....regardless of the number in use. Chromium has literally hundreds and hundreds of these available; for a comprehensive list, have a look here:-

https://peter.sh/experiments/chromium-command-line-switches/

Most people have absolutely no idea of just what a complex piece of coding a web browser really is. So long as it works, that's all they're concerned about.

Mike. Wink

Tried all that already Mike.
I use Chromium on my Slackware box and no other browser I am able to find supports all the extensions I prefer to use. Of course I would like to use something like Chromium or Chrome on this old desktop.
This issue alone made me let more puppies out of the kennel leaving only Fatdog64-720. I was able to get the latest Chrome running sweet so that solves this for me
Thanks for all the help

Cheers

Slackware64 14.2, Alien Bob's Plasma 5
Lenovo Thinkpad W510, Intel i7 Processor, 8 GB RAM
A USB stick with 6 Puppy Linux Frugal Installs
Core 2 Duo desktop with 3 Puppy Linux Frugal Installs, 4 GB RAM
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: