Dpup-Stretch-700 DELUXE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pelo

If you want to take your Puppy Linux with you

#61 Post by Pelo »

belham if you get outside." spring is coming for you in your part of the world, "

If you want to take your Puppy Linux with you, install it on a laptop, buy antenna that fits well with drivers provided by Rcrsn51, choose the accurate kernel, and life will be sunny :)
Devs forget often that laptops are to move, indoor but mainly outdoor, unless there are devs laptops. if rcrsn51 were not here to compile , none of laptops could be used with Puppy Linux outside
About Stretch, Debian advise that it's only a testing version, and that packages are not yet available. Why such an hurry ? Jessie would not be enough for you ? Has anybody got succes in a puppy Jessie, excepted josejp24, (pupjibaro) ? Bah go on working on it, only think about users using outside their laptop, wireless connected.
I hope that each of you working for the team , not for its own ego , will find success.

davids45

Some User Problems

#62 Post by davids45 »

G'day belham2,

I tried your Stretch-700 Deluxe via another Stretch thread so missed this thread. Found it when trying to get to know more about QtWeb (refer to my Dillo complaint following). So I'm apologising in advance :oops: .

I made a post to the other thread about my initial problems:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 477#950477

The printer problem has been fixed (with help) by reverting to an older ghostscript.

I found Dillo is not a user-friendly browser to try to use with CUPS, or to fix a printing problem involving CUPS. QtWeb is much preferred.

The non-avi playing vlc remains. Big problem if the grandkids visit - no Pepper nor Shaun to watch!

The dark green default theme makes text hard to read - where can either the dark green be lightened or at least the text whitened?

The screenshot shows the dark green I'd like lighter and also another aggravation. When selecting a file to open:
The left-side panel lists all the partitions on this computer - mounted & unmounted - when at most, I only want to see the mounted ones. My commonly wanted data partition ends up at the bottom of this listing (off-panel) adding to my iritation. How do I revert to the past set-up for this panel?

Thanks for any advice.

David S.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
dark green theme; too many unmounted drives makes selection tedious
(68.29 KiB) Downloaded 1025 times

belham2

Re: Some User Problems

#63 Post by belham2 »

davids45 wrote:G'day belham2,

I tried your Stretch-700 Deluxe via another Stretch thread so missed this thread. Found it when trying to get to know more about QtWeb (refer to my Dillo complaint following). So I'm apologising in advance :oops: .

I made a post to the other thread about my initial problems:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 477#950477

The printer problem has been fixed (with help) by reverting to an older ghostscript.

I found Dillo is not a user-friendly browser to try to use with CUPS, or to fix a printing problem involving CUPS. QtWeb is much preferred.

The non-avi playing vlc remains. Big problem if the grandkids visit - no Pepper nor Shaun to watch!

The dark green default theme makes text hard to read - where can either the dark green be lightened or at least the text whitened?

The screenshot shows the dark green I'd like lighter and also another aggravation. When selecting a file to open:
The left-side panel lists all the partitions on this computer - mounted & unmounted - when at most, I only want to see the mounted ones. My commonly wanted data partition ends up at the bottom of this listing (off-panel) adding to my iritation. How do I revert to the past set-up for this panel?

Thanks for any advice.

David S.

Hi David,

sorry, didn't see this till today....it's spring here, and yard/garden is demanding all my free time.

Thanks for the printer info.

As far as that crazy green/yellow, I just set those themes to show colours (something many creators forget, that we humans like colours and not just black/whites/blues & greys).

Anyhow, my dpup contains over 43 GTK Themes, 28 Icon Themes, 31 Wallpapers, and 43 JWM Themes. What this means is that you can literally choose any possible colour combo that is in existence for . window/gtk themes. Plus, I've included programs where if you don't somehow find something you like in what's provided, you can create your own jwm themes and GTK themes.

For starters, just click on on lower-left main MENU button, go up to DESKTOP, and then into JWM DESK MANAGER, and peruse all the possible combinations, trying different ones out. Be warned, it's best to stick to one wallpaper at first, for ROX+JWM's interaction in setting the wallpaper through JWM DESK MANAGER (Nathan's Wallpapersetter) can still be problematic (radky fixed this, but in the next iteration of dpup I am doing, I have removed all traces of JWM and am going with radky's fantastic desktop environment of fbBox-4.0 (soon-to-be fbBox 4.1).

Radky's FbBox creation is the future (along with XFCE/other Openbox) for pups in my opinion. JWM has served well for many years, but it has become limited in some areas that are frustrating (like integrating everything together smoothly, and having it still work, as radky's FbBox does so effortlessly....something JWM no longer does).

Anyhow, give the JWM themes and GTK themes (even the icon themes) a whirl....I'm sure you'll find something you like colour-wise. Let the grandkids play with them too, especially creating new ones :wink:

P.S. I am not sure I understand what you are saying about the "mounted/unmounted" partitions being shown? Any chance you could take a pic and post it here so I can see what you mean?? A "file-to-open" using what? off the desktop directly?? Via Rox??? Or via PcmanFM????

davids45

Partition listing in opening a file

#64 Post by davids45 »

G'day belham2,

Thanks for your reply.

I'll get around to trying to find a readable colour scheme based on your feedback.
P.S. I am not sure I understand what you are saying about the "mounted/unmounted" partitions being shown? Any chance you could take a pic and post it here so I can see what you mean?? A "file-to-open" using what? off the desktop directly?? Via Rox??? Or via PcmanFM????
I've made two screenshots to show my normal or preferred situation with opening files in a program in Puppy.
I prefer to start with no partitions listed (empty panel) rather than overflowing with unused partitions (StretchPup, example from my earlier post).

First time I want to open a file in a program, I drag my two data partitions (sda5 & sdb3) into that empty panel from the right (main) panel. This then becomes the default so every future 'Open file' in any program has only my mounted-at-boot data partitions listed.

StretchPup's default of listing all partitions is a problem for me because I have about 30 partitions on two hard-drives - I think it would be no problem if there were only a couple of partitions, so the left panel did not fill up.

By the way, does vlc play .avi or .mp4 files for you? I get sound but no video.

David S.
Attachments
openfilebox.png
preferred set-up for open-a-file box - just selected partitions (dragged by me) showing in left panel
(36.33 KiB) Downloaded 953 times
fullscreen.png
full screen showing all partitions on computer
(212.75 KiB) Downloaded 921 times

davids45

Dark green theme changed

#65 Post by davids45 »

G'day again belham2,

I've booted into Stretch Deluxe and following your suggestions, have found it was the gtk theme producing the dark green parts I found hard to read.

I changed this theme (to one called windoze! :D ) and can now read without effort the text in the bars, etc.

Thanks for your help.

David S.
Attachments
gtk_theme_fixed.jpg
text bars now more readable thanks to different gtk theme
(113.47 KiB) Downloaded 915 times

rcrsn51

#66 Post by rcrsn51 »

@David: This version of gtk seems to be hooked into /etc/fstab. Check out that file, then look in the Places section of the Open dialog window.

The same problem is discussed here. I hunted around, but can't change the behaviour.

davids45

"Open File" Panel Problem

#67 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I explored rcrsn51's suggestion that my overloaded/overflowing left-side panel (see screenshot several posts back, with the dark green theme), when trying to open a file in a program, may be somehow in /etc/fstab

I looked at this fstab file in Stretch-Deluxe and in Wildman69's StretchPup, both of which have the problem. Their fstab files were the same.

I then booted to Wildman69's XenialPup (made the same way and time as the StretchPups?). For me, Xenial has the better left-panel set-up (like virtually every other Pup, in my experience).

Its fstab looked the same as the undesirably set-up StretchPups. These are all Frugal Pups.

I hope this feed-back may help those knowing what this may mean, to fix the problem, or at least offer the option to choose the 'Open file' set-up if anyone (with too many partitions) actually likes an overflowing side panel :) .

Thanks.

David S.
Attachments
wm69xenial_openfilebox.jpg
screenshot of 'Open file' (in LibreOffice Writer) with easy-to-use left panel - just my two data partitions that I'd dragged there in an earlier use of another program
(85.56 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
wm69xenial_fstab.jpg
fstab of XenialPup which has better 'Open file' lay-out
(43.2 KiB) Downloaded 866 times
Delux700-fstab.jpg
fstab in this StretchPup
(44.34 KiB) Downloaded 824 times

Robert123

#68 Post by Robert123 »

[quote="Sailor Enceladus"]Hi belham2,

Testing it now. Temperature icon and battery icon show correctly on first boot! "cross-build fix" took about 20 seconds and I thought my laptop froze but it managed to finish. SNS didn't show my wireless device but frisbee did (strange) so I used frisbee to connect. "

Using SNS right now on an old D20 Dell and all I had to was click on interface tab and then my wireless interface and then it brought up the connctions available. But like you Sailor the wireless interface didn't show under devices. Xcalc also crashes my X server on this machine. VLC by default fails to play mp4's. Will test more on this old crate.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Robert123

#69 Post by Robert123 »

Used Ttuuxx's stretch Gnome-Mplayer and mp4's played.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 9&start=30
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

rcrsn51

#70 Post by rcrsn51 »

@David: The Stretch version of the GTK File Chooser window tries to make your life easier by showing you ALL your available mount points. These include everything in /etc/fstab (which don't make any sense as mount points in a Puppy frugal setup) and ALL the available partitions.

Compare this to older versions of the file chooser where the left panel just goes down to File System, plus any bookmarked locations. Partitions only appear in the panel if you have mounted them yourself.

I cannot find any configuration option to turn the bad behaviour off - it must be baked into the code. I guess that someone thought this was a good idea.

Maybe it makes sense when used in some other desktop environment.

A GTK guru would need to comment on whether it's possible to downgrade GTK to a more Puppy-friendly version without breaking stuff.

musher0

#71 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

Asking here as well as in the main DPupStretch thread:

Have any of you come against an error 137 while testing a script in geany
in DPupStretch? Apparently that's an OOM error triggered by the kernel.
(OOM=out of memory.) But in fact you still have lots of unused RAM left.

My situation was as follows: I was testing a conky (date) on/off script while
another conky with general system stats was being displayed. Whatever I
edited in the script, the 137 error was there. (Draft of script attached below
for reference.)

~~~~~~~~
Still about RAM in DPupStretch-7, but from a different angle:
Team mate and French forum member augras has noticed that DPupStretch
occupies +/- 50 Mg's more of RAM than TahrPup when idle just after
boot-up. I believe augras, but it would be nice to have at least a 2nd
similar report. It would be good to know why and perhaps remedy it, since
this may be a dis-incentive to use Puppy Stretch for people who have older
machines with say 512 Mb of RAM.

TIA. BFN.
Attachments
conky-temps.sh.zip
(501 Bytes) Downloaded 164 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Pelo

Pupjibaro Strecth is here. para la gente de habla hispana.

#72 Post by Pelo »

Americanos del sur tambien pueden jugar con un Stretch. Josejp2424 once again is the matador. Lot of ideas added to improve again pupjibaros.
he gives more and more, in permanent progress.
Pupjibaro Strecth is "para la gente de habla hispana."
For people unable to use Stretch in English (or French) ... or those who like to use Puppy in Spanish version, as me. Language is fast forgotten if you don't practice.
That is a pity that Facebook has more info (download links). Josejp2424 being the project manager, i cannot afford to give information;
Attachments
Allo.jpg
Downloaded from special sites, for experienced users of Pupjibaro
(26.42 KiB) Downloaded 577 times

Pelo

189MB used in RAM with Stretch americana

#73 Post by Pelo »

189MB used in RAM with Stretch americana de josejp2424 (browser Light launched but nothing running). Brand new pupsave, quite virgin.
With my Acer Aspire 1640 i hardly can run a Precise Puppy. Dpup stretch on 512MB is an Utopy.. between 256 and 512 MBs use Puppy 4.3.1 or Saluki (Saluki the best)
I am unable to run scripts in Geany, that is Linux programing. . Devs will help each other. Someone will try for Musher0. As user Augras did.
Geany is not translated (only titles, sub programs are in English. I know what 'make' means, but make what ? Make Object ! which one ?

hamoudoudou

Skami linux video on You tube about Dpup-stretch

#74 Post by hamoudoudou »

just took a glance at Skami linux video on You tube about Dpup-stretch. Nice video but in Hungarian (Magyar)
link to Dpup Stretch , video tutorial
Attachments
WEX.jpg
Nice demo, can be understood by Wattching screen, comments are hungarian.
(27.98 KiB) Downloaded 296 times