Can't Increase Personal File Size

Booting, installing, newbie
kkpix

Can't Increase Personal File Size

#1 Post by kkpix »

Hi, I am running the live-cd Tahrpup64 on an iMac running Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5. All is working well, except when I try to increase my personal file size (now at 200mb) the small window to allow me to increase the file size is greyed out. I have a 1tb main drive so I want to increase my personal file to at least 3gb. How can I fix this? I am new to puppy not much of a techie so please make your reply point by point simple to follow. Thanks, Ken.

s243a

Re: Can't Increase Personal File Size

#2 Post by s243a »

kkpix wrote:Hi, I am running the live-cd Tahrpup64 on an iMac running Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5. All is working well, except when I try to increase my personal file size (now at 200mb) the small window to allow me to increase the file size is greyed out. I have a 1tb main drive so I want to increase my personal file to at least 3gb. How can I fix this? I am new to puppy not much of a techie so please make your reply point by point simple to follow. Thanks, Ken.
I'm not sure how to fix the problem with the built-in resize tools but if you log-in in ram mode you could copy the files over to a new save-file.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hello kkpix.

If you could include a screen capture of your "greyed-out" window? This may help us
diagnose the problem. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~
In the meantime, I'm not sure this will solve your problem, but please find attached
a pupsave for your tahr that will be 2.93G once unzipped. You have to unzip it twice.

I created it with this formula:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=tahrsave-arf.2fs bs=1k count="3000000"
You can replace the "arf" in the file name to anything you like, provided the
characters are alpha-numeric.

After you have unzipped this file twice, and renamed the middle part to your liking,
simply reboot your Pup and choose the number corresponding to it in the special
pupsave menu that appears while booting the Puppy.

Please note this will be a pristine pupsave with nothing in it. You will have to redo
your settings and reinstall whatever apps you have installed in the other pupsave.
There is a way to copy files from a inactive pupsave into an active Puppy. But I'd
rather make it a second step and discuss it later -- if you need to.

~~~~~~~~~~~
I don't know why your pupsave increase window is greyed out. Hopefully it is not
some limitation of your Mac disk. Maybe check that out first,
following
mikeslr's suggestions in the post below.

If not, here is another tip that may help you: the structure of the "pupsave
constructing" mini-file that triggers Puppy to increase the size of a pupsave file is
as follows:
KILOBIG=number of Kbs
PUPSAVEFILEX=/directory/name-of-pupsave-file
For example, if I want to increase the size of a pupsave file called
stretchsave-yaya.2fs in directory DpupStretch-7.0b/ by 260 Mb's, I would open
my text editor and type:
KILOBIG=266240
PUPSAVEFILEX=/DpupStretch-7.0b/stretchsave-yaya.2fs
(NOTE -- 260 Mb's x 1024 Kbytes = 266240. This is the formula. If you want an
increase of 512 Mb's, then the calculation is 512 x 1024 = 524288. And you
inscribe 524288 on the KILOBIG line. And so on.)

Then I save this little file in /mnt/home as file pupsaveresizenew.txt. When I reboot
my DPupStretch, the pupsave stretchsave-yaya.2fs will be increased by 262 Mb's.

This tip may help you bypass the problem. If you need more explanations, please
ask.

~~~~~~~~~~~
Finally, a while back, I made available a bunch of ready-made pupsave files of
various sizes here. Help yourself! You only need to change the first part
to "tahrsave" to adapt it to your tahrPup. And as I mentioned before, you can
change the middle part to whatever you like. Do not edit the ending, however.

~~~~~~~~~~~
IHTH.
Attachments
tahrsave-arf.2fs.zip.zip
This is an empty 2,93 Gb pupsave zipped twice. Make sure you have enough room on the disk when you unzip it. You unzip it twice, in your Puppy directory.
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Last edited by musher0 on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 02:09, edited 5 times in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mikeslr

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi kkpix,

These may seem like dumb questions. But, dumb questions are usually the best way to start figuring out what's happening. As the footnote on bigpup's post says, "I have found, in trying to help people, that the things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem." So:

1. Onto what partition did you have Tahrpup install the SaveFile?
2. Are you certain that there is any available space on that partition?

When you boot into Tahrpup, the partition on which the SaveFile is located will be mounted. An "x" will appear at the top-right of the desktop-drive icon (just above the taskbar). [On my system it's color will be gray. If I mount any other partitions, the "x" will be green]. Note the label given to that partition.

Open Menu>System>gparted to the drive on which the partition is located. Tell us what it says regarding the size of that partition and how much unused space remains.

Having your mouse-cursor hover on the drive-icon should "tell us its size". And opening Menu>Filesystem>pmount or partview should "tell both its size and unused space". But, if I had to rate them, I think gparted is more accurate as it was created for the express purpose of managing partitions.

s243a posted while I was writing. His idea is particularly good considering that (a) you only have a 200 Mb SaveFile and (b) you're running on a Mac, and that may present special problems in diagnosing and correcting why "resize" isn't operating as it should.

But, first, do make certain that you have available space on some partition. If you have sufficient space, I'd recommend a 2 Gb SaveFile. It's unlikely with that you'll run out of room. GIVE IT A NAME DISTINCT FROM YOUR OLD SAVE FILE.

To copy what you have in your current SaveFile into a new SaveFile, you'd have to:

1: boot pfix=Ram. That will enable you to create a new SaveFile as you'll be asked if you want to on shutdown/reboot. If you're using grub4dos as bootloader, select Advanced Menu, then the listing whose Title includes " RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave". If your using a different bootloader, then tell us which one so we can advise.

2. With only 200 Mbs in your current SaveFile, it's probably easier to just start from scratch to include what you want than copying your old files into it. But, if you still want to, after creating the new SaveFile, again boot pfix=ram. Left-Click both SaveFiles (to mount them). On the window which opened to your OLD Save Files, left-click rox's EYE to show any hidden files . Then place your cursor on a empty space. Then hold down the Ctrl-Key while typing "a" [for All] which will select all files. Place your mouse cursor on any selected file and drag it into the window showing the files in your NEW Savefile. Select Copy. If asked, agree to "Over-write". When copying is completed, Left-Click both SaveFiles to close them.

3. Reboot into your new SaveFile -- you'll be given a choice while booting. If everything went well, you can browse to your old SaveFile, Right-Click it and select "Delete".

mikesLr

P.S. musher0's approach is also good. But do make certain some partition has sufficient space. In New Jersey we have the special term "Blevit". It refers to what happens when you attempt to stuff 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound bag. :lol:

See passages above regarding naming and handling more than one SaveFile.

pixtureskk

#5 Post by pixtureskk »

Thanks all for your help, suggestions but they are all above my technical comprehension + expertise, is there another installed program from which I can increase the file size, perhaps some partition program. It's quite late in the evening where I am, so I will get to this tomorrow. Thanks, Ken.

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Hello again.

Not that I want to contradict fellow forum member mikeslr, his technique is certainly
sound, but IMO perhaps a bit involved for a newbie.

Here is, again, IMO, an easier and quicker way to find out how much available
space that you have on your main Puppy partition. Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/home
df -h .
What do the "Avail" and "Use%" headers tell you?
(Please see attached example.)

In Puppy, /mnt/home is always the partition where the running Puppy is located.
The "-h" parameter for the df command displays the data as "human-readable".
The "." is bash shorthand. It means "for this partition or directory".

I like to maintain my partitions at no more than 70 % occupation. But I would suggest
no more than 85 %. At more than 85 %, one may run into problems using zip or any
archiving utility.

IHTH
Attachments
df-h.example.jpg
(30.13 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Last edited by musher0 on Thu 01 Feb 2018, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

kkpix

#7 Post by kkpix »

Thanks musher0, I'll work away at this as time permits, then report back if I have success. Thanks again, Ken.

bigpup

#8 Post by bigpup »

the small window to allow me to increase the file size is grayed out
To give us a picture of This Use this program.
menu>Graphic>Screeny Capture Windows and FullScreen

Have the file resize program showing on the desktop with the grayed out part.
Start the Screeny Capture program
Click on the fullscreen button.
It will make an image file of the desktop.
The image file will be in the /root directory.
Attach that image file to a post.

Screeny capture program.
Attachments
capture13907.png
(15.43 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

kkpix

#9 Post by kkpix »

bigpup, I am now using xenialpup64 7.5, which gives me a 1.9gig personal file of which 1.6 gigs is now free space, also allows me to create a save file of first log out, simple solution, thanks, Ken.