Lucid 5.2 working on HP Pavilion dv6500

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
kommisar

Lucid 5.2 working on HP Pavilion dv6500

#1 Post by kommisar »

Recently bought HP Pavilion dv6500 at a garage sale. Dead hard drive but with 1GB of memory and a working DVD RW. I got it working with the lucid 5.2 live CD. The machine has an NVIDIA graphics chip (detects as Geforce7140M/nForce630M) and an 1.8 GHz dual core athlonx64 CPU. After boot and normal configuration I remastered to a multisession CD so that the settings are saved and have been saving any changes to the multi session CD. So far this setup works well. Speakers, wireless and touchpad work without any tweaking.

sindi

dv6500 video works with kernel 2.X nothing later

#2 Post by sindi »

My dv6500 works fine with Lucid 2016 kernel 2.6, correctly identifying nv video, but:

Lucid 2016 kernel 3.0.25 (no other difference) video is misidentified as fbdev in X and also in console mode so that xorgwizard is not readable - text and windows are split in three, elongated, fuzzy.

Dpup Stretch 7 kernel 3.16 identifies the video as nouveau, and it is equally illegible in X but differently illegible in console mode trying to run xorgwizard.

Tahr 6.0.5, Slacko 6.3, and Xenial 7.5 and 7.0.6 identify the video as nouveau and are also unreadable in graphical and console modes.
I managed blindly to load VESA mode but the mouse and keyboard then do not work, and it goes to 1024x768 not the correct 1280x800.

I may attempt to run DPup with kernel 2.6 from Lucid 2016.

The computer may have a bad optical drive controller (tried two drives) and an erratic wifi card slot (internal), and when it boots it is very dim and always has to have brightness turned up (with no way to adjust it in BIOS). The main battery is dead but the clock battery is still okay (since 2007). It has an ON/OFF button for the mouse so you can type while in X without paragraphs disappearing, and a nice keyboard, but the screen is very reflective.