Fatdog64-720 and 721 Final [11 Jan 2018]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Null_ID

#101 Post by Null_ID »

Null_ID here again, Wi-Fi problem solved. I was indeed missing some firmware. Dmesg notified me about the following:
[ 4.240641] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode failed with error -2
[ 4.240696] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-5.ucode failed with error -2
[ 4.240746] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode failed with error -2
[ 4.240749] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: no suitable firmware found!
[ 4.240751] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: minimum version required: iwlwifi-6000-4
[ 4.240752] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: maximum version supported: iwlwifi-6000-6
[ 4.240754] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: check git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
The solution: I pulled "iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode" from the firmwares SFS that is being offered on page 1, put it to /lib/firmware, and rmmod/modprobed iwldvm and iwlwifi back into action. Unhappy as I may be that such crucial piece of code was excised from this release, I nevertheless now have wireless again. Will edit my previous post to reflect this. Thanks to all who gave input, it put me trough the right steps.

Anniekin

#102 Post by Anniekin »

Booting from windows unetbootin... Its asking me for a bulldog login... ?

foxpup

#103 Post by foxpup »

Null_ID wrote:Unhappy as I may be that such crucial piece of code was excised from this release,
It is not easy to know which versions are needed for a specific kernel, and for new kernels the versions may not even exist on the moment of release. Besides, Fatdog provides it in fdrv. :-)
I pulled "iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode" from the firmwares SFS

jamesbond

#104 Post by jamesbond »

Anniekin wrote:Booting from windows unetbootin... Its asking me for a bulldog login... ?
Did you boot initrd or nano-initrd? If you boot nano-initrd, you need to copy the boot parameters so that it can find the (huge initrd). You can find the correct parameters from either isolinux.cfg or from grub.cfg from the ISO file.

@foxpup - indeed, it is not easy. In the line up to 720, we changed our way to identify the firmware. We have been missing firmware in 720beta, 720 and we hope to fix it once and for all with 721. Obviously there are still work to do.

EDIT: in Null_ID's case, the iwlwifi module notifies that it requires iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode, which doesn't exist in the firmware collection. However, it can work with iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode which does exist in the firmware collection. However (and this is the most important part) - the fact that it can work with iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode - is not advertised anywhere, short of running the iwlwifi module itself, or actually reading the source code. There is no automated way to extract this knowledge from the module. Thus it is impossible for us to know unless someone like Null_ID reports the case.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

foxpup

#105 Post by foxpup »

jamesbond wrote:@foxpup - indeed, it is not easy. In the line up to 720, we changed our way to identify the firmware. We have been missing firmware in 720beta, 720 and we hope to fix it once and for all with 721. Obviously there are still work to do.

EDIT: in Null_ID's case, the iwlwifi module notifies that it requires iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode, which doesn't exist in the firmware collection. However, it can work with iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode which does exist in the firmware collection. However (and this is the most important part) - the fact that it can work with iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode - is not advertised anywhere, short of running the iwlwifi module itself, or actually reading the source code. There is no automated way to extract this knowledge from the module. Thus it is impossible for us to know unless someone like Null_ID reports the case.
I've had something similar, I don't remember the exact distro. When I installed a version that was in the messages' list, it did not work, I had to take another version from the list.

stemsee

#106 Post by stemsee »

I am really enjoying the 720 experience.

Having said that there is a really annoying thing ... that thing is whenever using control panel apps like remaster, savefile tool, uefi installer all ask for the savefile or initrd with file selector opening at '/root/' ... I am quite certain no one has there vmlinuz or savefile there! Anyway ...

uefi installer does not work with a remastered uefi iso image file, or even after burning to media 'sr0' it reports files missing ... even if I added the exact same files as a precaution, and reamed the iso image. It seems to me that an option to install a remastered.iso image in /tmp would be useful. Perhaps giving a choice for bios or uefi regardless of the format of the remaster iso!

Also after recompiling the kernel 4.14.6 and installing it I had to place the wl.ko module in /lib/modules/4.14.6/kernel/net/wireless/ and run depmod then

Code: Select all

rmmod -f wl
modprobe -f wl
as

Code: Select all

rmmod wl
insmod wl
no longer worked with the BC-wl service. I know this is an unusual scenario which should not arise when sticking with your kernel packages.

Thanks
stemsee[/code]

jamesbond

#107 Post by jamesbond »

stemsee wrote:I am really enjoying the 720 experience.
Glad to hear that.
Having said that there is a really annoying thing ... that thing is whenever using control panel apps like remaster, savefile tool, uefi installer all ask for the savefile or initrd with file selector opening at '/root/' ... I am quite certain no one has there vmlinuz or savefile there! Anyway ...
This is the default directory, which is $HOME. What other location would you propose?
uefi installer does not work with a remastered uefi iso image file, or even after burning to media 'sr0' it reports files missing ... even if I added the exact same files as a precaution, and reamed the iso image.
Can't reproduce.
1. Run the uefi installer from terminal (it's name is fatdog-uefi-installer.sh), and observe error messages, and report, please.
2. Are you sure your remastered does support UEFI? Does it really boot under uefi (did you test)? How did you create the remastered uefi iso? (You must tick "Enable EFI support" when creating the remaster).
It seems to me that an option to install a remastered.iso image in /tmp would be useful.
You can already do that now. Run UEFI installer and tell it to install from /tmp/remastered.iso. I just did that and it installs fine (as in, "the install boots to desktop").
Perhaps giving a choice for bios or uefi regardless of the format of the remaster iso!
You can't expect to perform UEFI installation if the source ISO does not support UEFI. The necessary files are just missing.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

stemsee

#108 Post by stemsee »

This is the default directory, which is $HOME. What other location would you propose?
/aufs .. obviously! or /mnt/home if it binds with devbase or devsave or pup_save (just guessing!)
1. Run the uefi installer from terminal (it's name is fatdog-uefi-installer.sh), and observe error messages, and report, please.
will do
2. Are you sure your remastered does support UEFI? Does it really boot under uefi (did you test)? How did you create the remastered uefi iso? (You must tick "Enable EFI support" when creating the remaster).
yep
Perhaps giving a choice for bios or uefi regardless of the format of the remaster iso!
You can't expect to perform UEFI installation if the source ISO does not support UEFI. The necessary files are just missing.
at's what I tried.
cheers!
I will try again on a pristine FD install, targeting my remastered iso.

stemsee

Anniekin

#109 Post by Anniekin »

jamesbond wrote:Did you boot initrd or nano-initrd? If you boot nano-initrd, you need to copy the boot parameters so that it can find the (huge initrd).
Got it... Great job! Default puppy has lost its way, the Ubuntu packages are bloated, and many of them do not work. Although I'm not a fan of seamonkey and prefer palemoon. I have bluetooth and MTP here, screen brightness and volume keyboard shortcuts are working, savefile to dir... very impressed.

jamesbond

#110 Post by jamesbond »

Glad to hear that, Anniekin.

Since you're running with nano-initrd, I'd like to point out to the bugs section in the third post of this thread - especially the part that says:
Microcode update when using initrd-nano.xz
[721 only] Microcode update is only applied if you use the standard initrd. If you use initrd-nano.xz, it won't be applied because the kernel doesn't support updating from a compressed initrd. If you use initrd-nano.xz and want to microcode to be applied, you will need to uncompress that initrd-nano first: just (double-)click on it, click yes when asked, and you will end-up with initrd-nano (without .xz extension). Adjust your boot entries to use initrd-nano instead of initrd-nano.xz. This has been fixed for future release. NOTE: Just renaming initrd-nano.xz to initrd-nano obviously DOESN'T WORK, you really need to uncompress it.
Hope that helps.

Anniekin

#111 Post by Anniekin »

Create Swapfile from the Fatdog control panel... What does this do? I tried it because my laptop would not wake up if I close and open the lid. Afterwards I checked gparted and saw only an unknown file system... I rebooted into windows and was able to view the drive but there is no swap partition. I guess create swapfile rather than swap partition is self explanatory.

kirk

#112 Post by kirk »

Create Swapfile from the Fatdog control panel... What does this do? I tried it because my laptop would not wake up if I close and open the lid.
It just creates a swap file, not a swap partition. This can be used if you don't have enough RAM. Suspend to disk (hibernate) would require swap (usually a partition), but when you close the lid on your laptop it tries to suspend to RAM. So no swap needed for that. If it's not working, ether not suspending or resuming, that's usually a problem with on of the device drivers getting hung up. Determining which one is causing the problem can be difficult. If you can figure it out which one is causing the problem, and it's not the video driver or a driver that's built into the kernel, then you could rmmod/modprobe the module in /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh. Problems with suspend vary depending on which kernel you're using, so you could try one of the older kernels especially if it's worked in the past.
The kernels are here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/kernels/720/
Instructions for kernel replacement: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/kernel.html

Anniekin

#113 Post by Anniekin »

You mean this?

[ -e /tmp/acpi_poweroff ] && exit
touch /tmp/acpi_poweroff #acpi_poweroff-delay.sh called later will delete this flag after a delay.
acpi_poweroff-delay.sh &

/etc/rc.d/rc.network stop
kill -9 $(pidof wpa_cli)
killall dhcpcd-wpagui
killall dhcpcd
killall wpa_supplicant

Can I just comment it all out for now and let them run in when I close the lid?

Billtoo

Fatdog64-720 and 721 Final [11 Jan 2018]

#114 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 32gb flash drive:
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 18 Jan 2018 on Fatdog64 721 Linux 4.14.12 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti OEM] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.19.5
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 340.106

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @2400 2: @2000 3: @1600 4: @1600 5: @1600 6: @1600 7: @1600 MHz

CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-2600 (-MT-MCP-) speed/max~1600/3401 MHz Kernel~4.14.12 x86_64
Up~39 min Mem~524.5/16027.6MB HDD~3032.1GB(0.1% used) Procs~199 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56

I added "intel_pstate=disable" to the syslinux.cfg

Works well,
Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(60.7 KiB) Downloaded 547 times

jake29

#115 Post by jake29 »

In the Fatdog64 installer's Boot loader section the 'Additional boot parameters' is available even if 'Do not install boot loader' is selected.

https://imgur.com/a/c7p1Q

From /faqs/boot-options.html:
"These parameters must be passed on to Fatdog64 before the system boots up, during boot-loading stage. Boot loaders can be configured to pause and ask for parameters during boot up (like the one in Fatdog64 Live CD/DVD), or you can put it in the configuration file."

This all suggests that there is a file I can edit to add boot parameters - can someone tell me it's location?

Thanks.

Anniekin

#116 Post by Anniekin »

I realized I may have messed up my filesystem (not showing in gparted) with the first thing I did with fatdog. I downloaded an .sfs and clicked on it in rox assuming the default action would be to load it. I did not realize at the time it mounted it instead and I moved the sfs. It did not work because it was mounted and I then deleted it also. Should I check and repair filesystem using gparted or fsck from the terminal and should I reboot first so my savefile partition is not mounted? :?

Sage

#117 Post by Sage »

Savefiles, .sfs & co.:
I realized I may have messed up my filesystem (not showing in gparted) with the first thing I did with fatdog. I downloaded an .sfs and clicked on it in rox assuming the default action would be to load it. I did not realize at the time it mounted it instead and I moved the sfs. It did not work because it was mounted and I then deleted it also. Should I check and repair filesystem using gparted or fsck from the terminal and should I reboot first so my savefile partition is not mounted? :?
Q.E.D.
K.I.S.S. - FULL rules!

dr. Dan

#118 Post by dr. Dan »

I realized I may have messed up my filesystem (not showing in gparted) with the first thing I did with fatdog. I downloaded an .sfs and clicked on it in rox assuming the default action would be to load it. I did not realize at the time it mounted it instead and I moved the sfs. It did not work because it was mounted and I then deleted it also. Should I check and repair filesystem using gparted or fsck from the terminal and should I reboot first so my savefile partition is not mounted?
I wonder if jamesbond's post at http://lightofdawn.org/blog/ titled "I accidentally removed glibc" would provide any helpful information for you, specific to fatdog64's layering and how to take advantage of it.
Dan

chiron²

#119 Post by chiron² »

I ttried the Kodi 17.6 SFS. It needs Samba4 fully installed via GSlapt. Then it runs normally.
What I've found is that neither Kodi 17.3 nor Kodi 17.6 do decent DVD Playback. They both start, show the usual messages, but never really make it to the menu. When I click randomly on the blank screen, I can get to one or the other submenu, and then back to the main menu, and everything works fine. This is not Fatdog related, though. Anybody else has this problem, or found a solution?

step

#120 Post by step »

chiron² wrote:I ttried the Kodi 17.6 SFS. It needs Samba4 fully installed via GSlapt. Then it runs normally.
Hi chiron², can you please clarify the details? What doesn't work and doesn't "run normally"? 17.6 works with my samba shares OOTB, that is, where a samba server provides public shares, 17.6 can browse those shares from, i.e.,
Videos>Files>Add videos...>Browse>Windows Network (SMB)...>WORKGROUP>ServerName>ShareName

However, SMB browsing may not always complete depending on the samba server version and its authentication options. For instance, I have a NAS server that won't reveal its shares entirely because they're password protected. Note that some servers do show their shares even if they're password protected - I have one of those too.

Instead of selecting "Windows network (SMB)" in the steps above, you could try "Add network location..." and see if that helps. Anyway, you seem to have found a work-around for your setup by installing the full samba4, and that's OK. Fatdog64-721 ISO includes a cut-down version of samba4 which should be sufficient for most common network configurations. if you know that it's insufficient for your home configuration, you can install the full package, like you did.
What I've found is that neither Kodi 17.3 nor Kodi 17.6 do decent DVD Playback. They both start, show the usual messages, but never really make it to the menu. When I click randomly on the blank screen, I can get to one or the other submenu, and then back to the main menu, and everything works fine.
It sounds like while Kodi is trying to play the DVD it messes up the display. Then the player stops and display is back to normal. Is this what you've been experiencing? To be honest, I've never tested Kodi's DVD player, I'll need to find a DVD to play and get back to you.
This is not Fatdog related, though.
Glad to know it isn't, but in what sense? Kodi 17.3 is meant for Fatdog64-710 only, and 17.6 is for 72x only. Amongst other things, the Kodis differ in the ffmpeg version they include.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]