Which Puppy can run my toaster?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
lolo69

Which Puppy can run my toaster?

#1 Post by lolo69 »

Motherboard: 915P-ICH6
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Ram Memory: 512mb

It has ran slacko 6.x, puppy arcade 11, Lucid, and Tahrpup 6.0.5 very well.

Could someone list every puppy this toaster can run?
Im needing a new one.

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

TyroBGinner

#3 Post by TyroBGinner »

Run your toaster? The better question is how can I install Linux on my toothbrush? Now that would be the ultimate in embedded device hacking.

By the way, long live Puppy Arcade 11.

phat7

#4 Post by phat7 »

This makes 4 that ran very well. Why do you need a new one. Burnt them all?

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Hi lolo69.

Your choice, really.

There is literally a thousand Pups to choose from, but here are a few that I have run
on an equipment similar to yours -- and liked:

Dejan's DPup-4.87 -- another great classic

Slim 6 -- a slimmer Slacko 5.99

Iguleder's librePup -- based on the Trisquel distro, has no proprietary apps at all.

Moat's ChloePup R27 -- a "de luxe Pup", with many fonts and backgrounds.

They are all available at ally's Puppy section / repository on archive.net.
(And we should have no end of thanks to ally for his patience and organization skills!) :)

Have fun!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mistfire

#6 Post by mistfire »

Try X-Slacko Slim

lolo69

#7 Post by lolo69 »

phat7 wrote:This makes 4 that ran very well. Why do you need a new one. Burnt them all?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112546

lolo69

#8 Post by lolo69 »

Really im looking for something with better features than "It can now play mp4 videos".

Im not saying it's bad but i want something... a little heavier than that.

nic007

#9 Post by nic007 »

lolo69 wrote:
phat7 wrote:This makes 4 that ran very well. Why do you need a new one. Burnt them all?
You don't need any new puppys as they ALL mostly operate the same way. What you need to do , is to change your way of operating puppy to avoid the mess you got yourself into previously. For a new user the recommended, easiest, safe way to operate any puppy is to do a frugal install and use a savefile or savefolder to save all your settings, etc. This savefile/folder needs to be backed up so you can have a fall back if something goes wrong that you can't fix. A frugal install has the added advantage that the base sfs (the original operating system) is read-only and always stays the same so you can't mess it up.

lolo69

#10 Post by lolo69 »

musher0 wrote:Hi lolo69.

Your choice, really.

There is literally a thousand Pups to choose from, but here are a few that I have run
on an equipment similar to yours -- and liked:

Dejan's DPup-4.87 -- another great classic

Iguleder's librePup -- based on the Trisquel distro, has no proprietary apps at all.

Moat's ChloePup R27 -- a "de luxe Pup", with many fonts and backgrounds.

They are all available at ally's Puppy section / repository on archive.net.
(And we should have no end of thanks to ally for his patience and organization skills!) :)

Have fun!
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Dpup
Here is a list of the Dpup's version, Does anyone which has better compatibility with Debian packages?
I used slacko and i don't want to use something "slimmer" than that.

lolo69

#11 Post by lolo69 »

nic007 wrote:
lolo69 wrote:
You don't need any new puppys as they ALL mostly operate the same way. What you need to do , is to change your way of operating puppy to avoid the mess you got yourself into previously. For a new user the recommended, easiest, safe way to operate any puppy is to do a frugal install and use a savefile or savefolder to save all your settings, etc. This savefile/folder needs to be backed up so you can have a fall back if something goes wrong that you can't fix. A frugal install has the added advantage that the base sfs (the original operating system) is read-only and always stays the same so you can't mess it up.
Thanks for answer.But the real reason of searching new puppies id that the ones i have used i have had problems with wine, python, x, and many others. So im looking for something with more... compatibility? i think so.

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

lolo69 wrote:
nic007 wrote:
Thanks for answer.But the real reason of searching new puppies id that the ones i have used i have had problems with wine, python, x, and many others. So im looking for something with more... compatibility? i think so.
I'll be surprised if you find another Puppy with "better compatibility features" than Tahr 6.0.5. Been running Wine for years so that shouldn't be a problem (not all windows programs run in Wine though).

6502coder

#13 Post by 6502coder »

You might not ever be happy with Puppy. You want "compatibility" but the fact is that Puppy does some things differently from mainstream distros and you either accept that and deal with it, or you don't.

As someone who wants compatibility and a lot of stuff built-in as standard equipment, you'd be much better off with a mainstream distro. The problem -- as I'm sure you're aware -- is that there's no mainstream distro that will give you the speed of a Puppy in that measly 512 MB of RAM. You're asking for the impossible.

If you had at least 1 GB of RAM I could happily recommend you try LXLE, a Lubuntu derivative that runs very nicely for me on a old P4 system and has full Ubuntu compatibility.