Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 17 Aug 2018, 21:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
XFCE 4.12 for XenialPup 64bit
Page 7 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Marv

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 16:08    Post subject: Re: Still looking for a way to add Icon Themes  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Marv and All,

Thanks, Marv, for the detailed explanation. I decided that removing the Save icon from the desktop you suggested actually was more in line with my aesthetic. But rather than delete the section I commented it out.

Just a reminder. I'm still looking for a solution to this problem, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=978125#978125.

mikesLr
Just for clarity, I don't modify rc.sysinit, I just put a line in rc.local to delete that .desktop in /root/Desktop. rc.local is called at the end of rc.sysinit so that works. I use rc.local for several things (icon cleanup, brightness fixes etc.) and much prefer having my personal quirks there. Pretty much what it is there for and easier for me to keep track of cross pups.
Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, and LxPupBB for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS. Now tazpup for puzzles Smile
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 21:36    Post subject: How to Add icon Themes to Xfce pet and probably xfce  

Hi All,

Examining the themes which did show up at their locations in /usr/share/icons I noticed that within two of their respective folders was a file named "index.theme". [A theme called Rox is offered by Desktop>Appearance>Icons. There is no Rox folder at /usr/share/icons. Not sure how it's created]. Opening index.theme in geany revealed it was simple text file but would be a PITA to create.

The themes I had tried to install lacked that file. And, because the Rox icon them worked I wasn't sure if idex.theme was actually necessary. So, to avoid spending a lot of time writing such file, I downloaded the Orenchelo icon theme from https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/132/page/4/ord/latest/ and unpacked it. It did include an idex.theme file. Dropped it into /usr/share/icons, restarted-x and voila Very Happy the Orechelo icon theme became one of the available options.

Short version. Find an icon them which already includes the index.theme file.

mikesLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2017, 14:02    Post subject: Re: Still looking for a way to add Icon Themes  

Marv wrote:
Just for clarity, I don't modify rc.sysinit, I just put a line in rc.local to delete that .desktop in /root/Desktop. rc.local is called at the end of rc.sysinit so that works. I use rc.local for several things (icon cleanup, brightness fixes etc.) and much prefer having my personal quirks there. Pretty much what it is there for and easier for me to keep track of cross pups.

Hi Marv,

Seems like a good idea. But you kind of lost me. I located rc.local. It's in /etc/rc.d. However, scripting is not my strong point, to put it generously. The current contents of rc.local has several lines beginning with "echo enable" and two lines reading:

brightness=`cat /root/.config/brightness.conf`
echo $brightness > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

[One of which I would guess being an unnecessary duplication].

Absent from rc.local was any argument to delete anything. Could you provide an example?

Thanks in advance.

mikesLr
Marv

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2017, 15:18    Post subject: Re: Still looking for a way to add Icon Themes  

mikeslr wrote:
Marv wrote:

Hi Marv,

Seems like a good idea. But you kind of lost me. I located rc.local. It's in /etc/rc.d. However, scripting is not my strong point, to put it generously. The current contents of rc.local has several lines beginning with "echo enable" and two lines reading:

brightness=`cat /root/.config/brightness.conf`
echo $brightness > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

[One of which I would guess being an unnecessary duplication].

Absent from rc.local was any argument to delete anything. Could you provide an example?

Thanks in advance.

mikesLr

The first 'brightness' lines come with the pup. There have been a number of approaches to that as hardware and kernel handling of it has changed over time but most of the X series pups save brightness in a configuration file and the first line sets a variable from that file and the second echoes it to a system file.
The line I add to /etc/rc.d/rc.local to remove the desktop item is
Code:
rm -f /root/Desktop/save2flash.desktop
I haven't checked all of my kennel but I use that pretty much across the board. Other lines you may see commonly in rc.local are mount lines written by pmount to mount a drive on boot if you choose that checkbox in pmount and some usb wake stuff. I don't know if that is vestigial or not. wrt the desktop icon, I would rather have that set in in the X or windowmanager startup files. Seems cleaner to me to not have sysinit mess with X or window manager specifics but... The rm line in rc.local does the job simply for me.
Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, and LxPupBB for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS. Now tazpup for puzzles Smile
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 27 Dec 2017, 20:00    Post subject: Eliminating the System-generated Desktop Save Icon  

Thanks Marv,

Your clear example helped in two ways. The first being solving the current problem. But, at least for me, the second is perhaps more important as I have difficulty learning languages. Since I knew what effect was sought, the example demonstrated both the 'words' and the 'sentence structure' of how to accomplish it. I did, however, look up the '-f' argument to make certain I understood it.

Thanks, again,

mikesLr
battleshooter

PostPosted: Sun 14 Jan 2018, 23:47    Post subject:  

Apologies I couldn't assist Mike, I'm glad Marv knew what the issue was.

I appear to have lost momentum again so I'll just post the pet I was working on based on the earlier discussion back in December. Consider it a beta as I know I was working on it but I wasn't happy with something about it.

It's got the new glib so no fstab hack, has Belham's cpu graph, Whiskers menu isn't included but if it's installed from the ppm (Do not install with deps remember!) most the buttons should work relinked to local Puppy software. Finally xfce4-screenshooter and xfce4-terminal have been added as well.

XFCE-4.12r6b.pet

Edit: Ugh, I'm up to r6, not r5, I didn't realize that. Guess I'd better reupload.

steve_s

PostPosted: Wed 17 Jan 2018, 11:02    Post subject: Love it!  

Great distro! Wanted to watch Netflix on garage/gym computer, beefed up the gym PC to a slightly newer 64bit, put this on it and the google-chrome tahr sfs and boom, Netflix screaming along. But an added plus is how good my new OS looks! Great job!
battleshooter

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jan 2018, 01:47    Post subject:  

Steve! No way, haven't seen you for ages mate!

Glad it worked well for you Cool

Page 7 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Jump to: