I deleted all thumbnails, How to get them back?

Using applications, configuring, problems
lolo69

I deleted all thumbnails, How to get them back?

#1 Post by lolo69 »

Wether installing opera beta by an non-normal way or using BleachBit (a disk cleaner) to delete very good amount of stuff just caused this situation:

The most accepted theory according to my common sense is that i used bleachbit and actived the ".Thumbnail" check and...

I just deleted every single icon, picture, images and gif on my pc.

This is not as funny as i would like. the icon finder app is empty emptyyyyyyy!

Most of apps does not work because of this.

To the point: If anyone knows a way to restore the thumbnails please tell me how any ideas are allowed, but i don't think you could fix my idiotness.

Let's be realistic this is the 5th time i crash puppy and need to reinstall it from zero and i'm starting to think puppy isn't my thing and maybe i'll delete everything and install ms dos 'cause i'm freaking tired of this.

if nobody knows a way to fix this, here are some question:

1. Where do i get icon layout file?
2. How can i make a list of every lib, app, deb, pet, and sfs i installed?
3. How can i make a backup of my bookmarks if chrome doesn't even run?
4. God please tell me why?

Here some lovely music, 'cause i'm really tired and i need to relax:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NITp06kZzSg
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33ANAsjiYtw
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy6atrrhbV8&t=48s

Puppy Tahr 6.0.5nopae
If need more info ask for it.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

How is Tahrpup installed?
Full or frugal?
BleachBit (a disk cleaner) to delete very good amount of stuff
Using this type of program.
You have to be very careful what you do and totally understand what you ask it to do.
the icon finder app is empty emptyyyyyyy!
I assume you are talking about the Puppy Icon Switcher program.
In Rox File Manager.
Navigate to /user/local/lib/X11
Should be directories with the icons and icon themes.

ARE they there????????
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Can't help with your latest problem but

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi lolo69,

I can't help with latest problem but am almost certain it was caused by bleachbit. There are several reasons I don't use bleachbit. The first is that it is a very powerful program with many options. Using it properly entails a steep learning curve on systems it was designed for, even more on Puppies. I can't think of a good reason to run it on Puppies, so can't think of a good reason to undertake the learning curve.

Most operating systems are designed by either one person or a small group. Applications created to run on those are designed with the design and contents of the operating system in mind. In that context both the OS and the applications can be created to avoid the duplication of files performing the same task. For example, all icons can be located in /usr/share/icons. Puppies, on the other hand, are created by individuals following a general design with substantial leeway where files are located. For example, a binary can be located in /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /root/my-applications/bin and two or three other places. When it comes to creating applications the creator has even more discretion. Although there a several places where icons are traditionally placed --the one mentioned above, /usr/share/pixmaps and several folders in /usr/local/lib/X11/ --the number will vary as you install more themes.

Under Puppies, what bleachbit see as a duplicate file may, in fact, be one. But Program A may look for that file in one place while Program B looks for it in another.

I've used Puppies for 10 years. I've built applications. Sometimes there's an advantage placing icons in one place; sometimes another. My best guess is that such duplication of files wastes maybe 10 Mbs of hard-drive which is of no significance when you measure hard-drive space in Gigabytes. All computer applications are idiots which operate at speeds between 50% and 99% of that of light. I don't want an idiot managing my computer regardless of how fast it may be.

About the only thing which occupies considerable space without any continuing good reason are the files cached by websites on your computer so that the website doesn't have to use its resources to send you that content again. During the course of a couple hours of surfing, this can take up hundreds of Mbs on your computer: Gibabytes if you never clear web-caches. Every web-browser includes mechanisms for limiting the amount of cache your computer will store and for clearing the caches you've accumlated. And there are Addons which may give you greater control.

Since this is the sixth time you've managed to screw up your system, maybe its time to learn how to set Puppies up so you can easily recover from screw-ups. It happens to the best of us, especially to the best of us. We're the ones who try to push Puppies to their limits, to "boldly go where no one has gone before." I like that better than 'fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

From you're previous posts I know that you know how to do a Frugal Install. So I won't go into details. But this is what I do because I know I'm going to try things what might jeopardize my system:

1. When I've booted into a Puppy for the first time I setup locales, time-zone, screen-resolution and wifi. I then shut down creating a small SaveFile with the name BASE. [Because I explore, I stopped using SaveFolders having found on a couple of occasions that files were written to them even if I hadn't intended them to be].
2. On Reboot, I select Advance Menu, and from it the listing whose title contains "RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave", hereinafter RAM mode.
3. File-browse to my Puppy Folder, create a folder within it --I name it protect-- and copy my small SaveFile into "Protect". Come hell or high-water, I'm never going to have to run thru First Setup again. I also rename the SaveFile, not in "Protect", usually with just an indication of the date --e.g. Jan15-- but with a descriptive name if I have special plans.
4. Reboot into Puppy, select Menu>Utility>Resize Savefile to 2Gbs. I've never needed more than that even with 'the Out house sink installed'. Reboot.
5. Install all the "Safe Applications" I want. A Safe Application is one I personally know won't screw anything up, and those where the discussion about it on my Puppy version indicates it works. Use this dedicated Puppy search: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0.
6. Reboot in RAM mode and copy the 'Active' SaveFile into the "Protect" folder. Come hell or highwater, whatever I later do to Puppy, fixing it is just a matter of (1) booting RAM mode, (2) deleting broken SaveFile, (3) copying Protected SaveFile into where the deleted SaveFile was, and (4) rebooting.

You can't break anything except the SaveFile. All the other files Puppies use are READ-ONLY. Puppies read them, they can't write to them.

6a. (Optional). From time to time, after installing and using applications which I hadn't considered Safe when I first installed them, If I now think they are, I'll repeat Step 5, with this variation: Depending on how sure I am and how much the 'Jan15 SaveFile' in the Protect Folder is just 'taking up space', I'll either rename it or delete it. In either case, I'll copy the current 'unprotected' SaveFile into the Protect Folder.

adding say the Jan15 SaveFile to the Protect Folder and renaming the 'unprotected copy' to the current date.
Optional (Recommended):

7. Open two File-Browsers Windows: One to /root, the second to /mnt/home. Left-Press the /root/my-documents folder, then drag it onto /mnt/home. Select Move. Left-press /mnt/home/my-documents, then drag it back to /root and Select Link(relative). You can also do that to /root/downloads; others as well but there are limitations and complication I don't want to get into. Applications will still offer to Save datafiles to and open datafiles from my-documents. But now that folder is on your hard-drive. Come hell or highwater, whatever you do to Puppy, you're not going to loose files you've created.

8. Prefer SFSes to installable pets. SFSes don't get installed. If there's a problem, you just unload them.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 03:00, edited 3 times in total.

slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

If it's a full install, I recommend doing a boot with a puppy live cd and move all your important info... and do a re-install.

I call them the triangles of death and I've seen my share. They are not necessarily impossible to fix but I find it's generally a much bigger hassle than just pulling off your important data and doing a re-install.

Sorry, I know this is not much of a help... but I think it will probably save you what will most likely be wasted time.

Sorry,

Slavvo67

PS - Bigpup and Mike know what they're doing so they may be your best chance at recovery.

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

HI lolo69.

First, I wish to offer my sincere sympathies for your troubles.

About your questions :
1. Where do i get icon layout file?
4. God please tell me why?
Starting with # 4:
Only the Almighty can answer that one! :)

About # 2:
A)
Inside the /root/.packages directory, you already have the names of all the programs
that you have installed using the petget utility or the Puppy Package Manager.

To create a listing of them, open a terminal in /root/.packages and type:

Code: Select all

ls *.files > my-installed-progs.lst
This list you can now review in your text editor.

B)
You also have there a very long list called PKGS_HOMEPAGES that contains the
URLs of all the programs installed on your Puppy. If you wish to reinstall them,
go to the web site that's indicated for that program.

C)
The "*.files" files in that directory contain the entire list of the files that make the program.
Load the ones that interest you in your text editor -- or in "mp", console text editor, since
geany or leafpad may not work at this time. Go down the list, and in that list you will find
the names of the *.png images if the program uses any.

About # 3: I do not know Chrome, so I cannot help you. But perhaps forum member
Mike Walsh can, because he knows a lot about the Chrome browser. Ask him?
He is the helpful type.

About # 1: Your icon layout". All Puppies preserve a copy of their original files in
/initrd/pup_ro2. Therefore, you can get back some of the Puppy original icons
by doing this: (but unfortunately not the icons from programs you added)

-- open two ROX panels side by side, then

A)
-- in the one on the left go to /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share
-- in the one to the right, go to /usr/share

-- in /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/share, highlight directories "icons" and "pixmaps" and drag
them to the ROX filer to the right, and copy them.

Once that is done,

B)
-- in the ROX panel on the left go to /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/local/lib
-- in the ROX panel to the right go to /usr/local/lib

-- highlight directory "X11" with your mouse and drag it to the ROX filer panel to the
right, and copy it.

Those two operations should restore part of the icons on your layout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For next time:
-- always make a back-up of your pupsave file every day or even twice a day if
you are a heavy user. It will save you a lot of anxiety and anger at yourself.

Here is a simple formula that I use:
I open a console in the directory where my Puppy is and I type:
zip -4u -dd MyPuppySaveFile.zip *save*.?fs

Or you can use SFR's excellent PackIt for this.
(Highlight and right-click the file you wish to zip or gz or lzop, etc.)

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

foxpup

#6 Post by foxpup »

Most of apps does not work because of this
You probably have wiped the .desktop files too. Then they will be missing from the menu also. Look in /usr/share/applications, and if wiped, restore this with musher0's About # 1

lolo69

#7 Post by lolo69 »

A-Bigpup
I assume you are talking about the Puppy Icon Switcher program.
No, There is an app called icon finder where you can look for every icon in your system.
2. Its a full install.
In Rox File Manager.
Navigate to /user/local/lib/X11
Should be directories with the icons and icon themes.

ARE they there????????
There are basic icons from defaults themes and some stuff else...

I am right now using puppy arcade as secondary os and i could see every pic i found, but in tahrpup it said like there is no image in the file or something. Is that the problem? Did tahrpup get unable to see images?.

B-mikeslr
1. Thanks for that "How to NOT f*ck up your pc" tutorial.
2. As the non-native-english-speaker i am i could understood it but not got all the logic within it. Do you say thet following those steps i can make puppy "untouchable" by my idiotness?, could i install new libs, apps and such but not delete puppy native ones? That sound quite good.
3. No words to thanks this kind of help.
So i got this girl to say it

C-slavvo67
1. I will move my stuff to other partition and try to fix it, but maybe as you say i will need to see my old friend boot usb, thanks for answer bro.

D-musher0

First, I wish to offer my sincere sympathies for your troubles.
Thanks, i was so disturb i ended making a clickbait title for this topic. Thanks to the one who changed it.
2. I will take the entire packages directory, a copy, and upload to mega.
3. do not worry about chrome, i just noticed i made an export of my bookmarks a week ago. that is fine.
4. i cant find the /initrd folder, is it supposed to be in / ? because it is not there.
5. But what i wanted to find was the layout as such not icons from the theme.
6. When you say making a backup everyday you mean packing the entire / folder? it must be supah boring to wait for.
But i guess I will do it just in case.

E-foxpup
1. excuse my lack of knowledge. what does wipe mean?
2. Yet this is not what i want to. I think there is a file which contains the layout of my desktop, the way that it is organized.

Thanks everyone for the answer but this is still screwed up so it would be nice if you keep helping me.

Antoher question, How do i install the voices into puppy, i mean i cant hear google translate, i think it is because i do not have the voices installed, if anyone knows please tell me
(But this is secondary, my iconless puppy needs aid).

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

I see.

Either you are the "hard-to-understand" type, or you need some new glasses.
Perhaps you had your reasons to pray the Lord in your 1st message!!!

Puppy indeed has a file with the layout of your desktop, it is called PuppyPin and
it is located at /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Puppy. BUT, it is only a list of the programs
displayed on the desktop and of the x,y position of their icons, (part edited)
not the actual icons.
The actual icons have to be restored.

You have under / a directory named initrd. Really look for it. If needed, do you have
a magnifying glass in your house?

This is a warning: I only help people with good perception, good faith, and a brain.
In my previous message. I have explained in the simplest terms how to make a
back-up of your Puppy.

Unless you make good progress, this is the last you will hear of me.
Last edited by musher0 on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mavrothal

Re: I deleted all thumbnails, How to get them back?

#9 Post by mavrothal »

lolo69 wrote: 1. Where do i get icon layout file?
1. The file /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin has the icon layout
2. In /root/.packages/ the files devx-only-installed-packages (if you installed devx) user-installed-packages (if present) layers-installed-packages(if present) and woof-installed-packages should have every package that was installed from the ISO or the PPM
3. Depending which Google chrome package/version should be in /root(or root/spot)/.config/chrome(or google-chrome)/Default/Bookmarks
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

foxpup

#10 Post by foxpup »

what does wipe mean?
Wipe is remove, erase.
Yet this is not what i want to. I think there is a file which contains the layout of my desktop, the way that it is organized.
That is still allright, i think, because there are still triangles on your desktop.
In /usr/share/applications are files that act as shortcuts to start applications. They have a description of the path to the application and the icon to use for a shortcut, etc. They are called something.desktop and the triangles on the desktop (mostly) link to them. But they are probably not there anymore. Let's hope they are, go and look in /usr/share/applications and hopefully you still find them there and only the icons are missing.

BTW I can't help laughing when I have a look at your desktop. It IS funny. Sorry.

lolo69

#11 Post by lolo69 »

musher0 wrote:I see.

Either you are the "hard-to-understand" type, or you need some new glasses.
Perhaps you had your reasons to pray the Lord in your 1st message!!!

Puppy indeed has a file with the layout of your desktop, it is called PuppyPin and
it is located at /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Puppy. BUT, it is only a list of the programs
displayed on the desktop and of the icons they use, not the actual icons.

You have under / a directory named initrd. Really look for it. If needed, do you have

This is a warning: I only help people with good perception, good faith, and a brain.
back-up of your Puppy.

Code: Select all

#ls
audit  boot  etc  mnt        opt   root  sbin  tmp  var
bin    dev   lib  nohup.out  proc  run   sys   usr
That is a list from my /. I just cant see intrd there.
displayed on the desktop and of the icons they use, not the actual icons.
Thanks, that is the answer i was expecting for my first question.
back-up of your Puppy.

I think i have a brain and i can understand your confusion.
When you say making a backup everyday you mean packing the entire / folder? it must be supah boring to wait for.
But i guess I will do it just in case.
this is the answer i gave you. I said that because i thought there would be a fancier way to backup than zipping
the entire os.

Maybe it is the vocabulary i used in my previous entries.
Im just talking to you this lazy and vulgar way because i thought i could give a more friendly
student-teacher relationship. I was wrong. Thanks to "open my eyes", now i can see this is not
a place for that kind of treatment.

But even in that case im sure giving "Stop being stupid" warnings are not the way to communicate it.

Puppy has given me many troubles as the old windows user i am
every time i crashed puppy i said me "I have a lot to learn" and then
i came to this forum, many times without answer, looking for that knowledge
i miss. May be that this forum is not for me. May be that Puppy linux is not for me.
I just thought i could learn about open source and linux through this little distro.
I was wrong, my fault and Im sorry for every disgusting occation i caused.

I really appreciate every bit of anything all of you taught me
and again im sorry im feeling kinda weird and tired
i will meditate whether keep trying or just erase everything and install windows again because im really really tired.

im sorry this is not the kind of post this forum needs just delete it and my proflie im going to sleep.

Sorry everyone.
Last edited by lolo69 on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

MochiMoppel

#12 Post by MochiMoppel »

musher0 wrote:Puppy indeed has a file with the layout of your desktop, it is called PuppyPin and
displayed on the desktop
Yes
and of the icons they use
No. This information is kept in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/globicons
musher0 also wrote:The actual icons have to be restored.
How do you know? Very unlikely. The screenshot shows triangles, a clear indication that the links are bad and not the icons (otherwise ROX wouldn't be able to show its icon for broken links)

@lolo69 I have a feeling that your icons are fine. Yesterday my desktop looked like yours. I screwed up a mount point and ended up with all desktop links pointing to nowhere. If you still have icons in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps, the main source for your desktop icons, there is hope. What happens after reboot?

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

@MochiMoppei.

I stand corrected. I should have written: "and of the x,y position of their icons." Sorry
about that. I have edited my previous post.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#14 Post by musher0 »

Ah. If the user makes a full install of a Puppy, there will be no /initrd directory and
no back-up or "original" copy of the Puppy in /initrd/pup_ro2, and no pupsave either.

Use BleachBit on the thumbnails of this Puppy installation and the wipe is permanent.

And I said what I said to the wind, for nothing.

Do Catholic priests still sell masses for the departed? I'll buy one for your Puppy.
Because this Puppy is surely "departed". RIP. The simplest way to repair this install is
to "bury" it and install a fresh copy, but frugally, this time.

BFN.
Last edited by musher0 on Wed 17 Jan 2018, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

musher0

#15 Post by musher0 »

Finally, all healthy communities have at least one grouch. I am proof!!! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

lolo69

#16 Post by lolo69 »

musher0 wrote:Finally, all healthy communities have at least one grouch. I am proof!!! :lol:
I don't get what do you mean. Maybe you think that what i wanted to transmit was anger.
if it's, completely wrong.

Anyway if nobody can give a better solution than just "BURY" this is ended.

foxpup

applications

#17 Post by foxpup »

@lolo69

Did you have a look in /usr/share/applications yet? Please do!
If it is empty, look if you have /usr/share/applications.in and if it has anything, copy all in it to /usr/share/applications and reboot. You may recover some links on your desktop.

lolo69

Re: applications

#18 Post by lolo69 »

foxpup wrote:@lolo69

If it is empty, look if you have /usr/share/applications.in and if it has anything, copy all in it to /usr/share/applications and reboot. You may recover some links on your desktop.
I cant find a directory with that name.

foxpup

#19 Post by foxpup »

lolo69 wrote:

You mean no /usr/share/applications ? That explains it. And no /usr/share/applications.in either?
Do you have the .iso? Go in it and then go in the main.sfs (puppy_tahr???.sfs, look in it, do not install it) and copy /usr/share/applications from there into /usr/share.

lolo69

#20 Post by lolo69 »

foxpup wrote:
lolo69 wrote:

You mean no /usr/share/applications ? That explains it. And no /usr/share/applications.in either?
Do you have the .iso? Go in it and then go in the main.sfs (puppy_tahr???.sfs, look in it, do not install it) and copy /usr/share/applications from there into /usr/share.
No, I have a /usr/share/applications, but i don't have a /usr/share/applications.in.

Do you know which are the puppies which have the best compatibility, with apps, libs, etc?