Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#201 Post by mavrothal »

dejan555 wrote:Yes, I can write on partition.
Here are outputs from the commands you suggested, lsof doesn't show any files from partitions though
Nothing much there other than that your disk or the specific partitions might have issues and need a file system check. BTW e2fsck can only check partitions not entire disks.
Not sure if any of these is dpup specific. I guess you can try another puppy, even a second install of one that already works on this disk to see if indeed is a disk or an OS issue.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

davids45

Pinboard start-up problem with Full Pups

#202 Post by davids45 »

G'day radky,

I've now tested a Xenial-7.5 Full install for any problems during booting due to incomplete loading of the pinboard when there are many user-applications added that have pinboard links.

Xenial-7.5 has not had any problem booting, nor did a Xenial-7.0.6, and Artful is also OK if I don't load it with my faulty gimp pet :oops: :D .

Screenshots show the list of my pets installed with MochiMoppel's modified petget and the resulting Xenial pinboard after a re-boot - all app icons displaying as expected. I installed Gimp via an sfs and it is fine so I should be able to sort out my pet problem with Gimp.

I might now revisit StretchPup to re-check my pinboard boot problem, knowing more about my links-pets - what work and what doesn't.

Thanks for your patience,

David S.
Attachments
xenial75-petget-result.jpg
apps loaded to Xenial to test pinboard booting - app pets use symlinks to boot-mounted data partition sda5; no errors from petget process
(253.82 KiB) Downloaded 946 times
xenial75-linkspetsOK.jpg
added apps are three central columns of pinboard; no odd or missing icons present
(98.82 KiB) Downloaded 942 times

radky

#203 Post by radky »

eps wrote:
Dpup Stretch 7.5 full install pwidgets not work.
Hi eps,

I do frugal installs only, and pwidgets works ok in my frugal install of Dpup Stretch 7.5.

Maybe others have tested pwidgets in a full install?

Thanks

davids45

pwidgets not running (as well as other pinboard apps?)

#204 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

I run pwidgets as a 'must-work' app for every Pup I install.

In recent Pups, Fulls and Frugals, and not just Stretch, I find on first re-boot that pwidgets isn't being run, even though there is a script in /root/Startup to run pwidgets. There's something odd in some latest Pups booting process when running X? It's not just pwidgets that seems "overlooked" during X for me, albeit not always :? .

I load pwidgets as a pet into Full Pups and from an sfs in Frugals.

When pwidgets doesn't appear when I think it should :shock: :

1) I run restartX form the Exit/Leave menu (click 'Restart graphical server') , pwidgets may now appear, along with other icons not fully loaded during first re-booting X in a new Pup.

2) If restartX doesn't bring up pwidgets, opening /root/Startup and clicking the '0_show_widgets' icon will display my pwidgets. I've dragged this file from /root to the pinboard to save time in some cases.

Another thing to check is that the 'fixwidgets' in /usr/sbin is there, and executable, as this is a critical file in pwidgets.

eps,
How are you loading pwidgets and which version is it?
Are its files and directories where you expect?
Try a terminal run of pwidgets for possible helpful error messages?

Good luck with it.

David S.

davids45

Stretch testing with many pets

#205 Post by davids45 »

G'day radky,

I've re-tested my StretchPup-7.5 Full for my issue of incomplete loading of pinboard icons (and pwidgets -see above post) during re-booting after installing my numerous app pets and putting their icons on the pinboard for easy use.

This time ditching my dud pet of Gimp, so loading in only pets I know should work :oops: (listed in screenshot) , I still had an incomplete first re-booting as before (screenshot) and again, restarting X gave me the expected icons (and pwidgets) (screenshot).

On subsequent re-boots, things have now booted correctly without the need for restarting X. It seems Stretch has learned something :) ?

I still think the loading of X in recent woof-CE Pups is a bit slower and sometimes stuttery than in the past (Stretch, Slacko and Puduan) - new Xenial and Artful Pups not affected as much, if I recall correctly.

Once over this peculiar start-up hurdle, StretchPup and the other Pups are fine for me, Frugal and Full.

David S.
Attachments
pets-loaded-via-petget.jpg
numerous application pets installed with petget - pets use symlinks to boot-mounted data partition
(95.4 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
1st-reboot-icons-missing.jpg
with pets loaded and their icons dragged to pinboard, re-boot incomplete with missing icons
(81.48 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
1st-reboot-restartX-iconsOK.jpg
all good after a restart-X with icons and pwidgets; new wallpaper and drive icons added later
(121.06 KiB) Downloaded 797 times

proebler

#206 Post by proebler »

I have come across two issues.

There appears to be a problem with partview after creating an encrypted savefile.
See the attached picture. In it I ran partview from the Console.
I arrive at this situation under the following conditions:
frugal install of RC-2 [vmlinuz, initrd.gz, puppy_stretch_7.5.sfs, adrv_stretch_7.5.sfs, zdrv_stretch_7.5.sfs, stretchsave_luks-nothing_set_090118.4fs (64MB)]
in a dedicated folder
on an ext3 partition
on laptop HDD
booting through Grub4Dos

The savefile was created right after the initial boot-up without having made any setting changes.

The problem does not exist with unencrypted ext2 and ext4 savefiles. I have not tried ext3.

The other issue noted:
Leafpad text editor has to be killed [will not close] when asked to Quit wihout saving.
This problem exists with both encrypted and unencrypted savefiles but not on initial boot-up.
regards
proebler
Attachments
image-1.png
(91.67 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

radky

#207 Post by radky »

proebler wrote:
There appears to be a problem with partview after creating an encrypted savefile.
@proebler,
It seems the dm-crypt name defined in /proc/partitions is not properly excluded in /sbin/probepart.

I'm sure the Woof-CE team will address this soon, but until then you could append "| dm-" to line 94 in /sbin/probepart.

PARTITIONS="`cat /proc/partitions | tr -s ' ' | cut -f 4-5 -d ' ' | grep -vE ' loop| ram| zram| sr| dm-'`" #each line ex: 16076800 sda5

--------
Leafpad text editor has to be killed [will not close] when asked to Quit wihout saving.
Could you try the attached alternate leafpad binary (32-bit). Just remove the fake gz extension and make the file executable, then add to /usr/bin.

Thanks
Attachments
image-1.png
dm-crypt name defined in /proc/partitions
(18.68 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
leafpad.gz
(84.56 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

proebler

#208 Post by proebler »

@radky
both fixes applied, [Edited] only the one for partview works.
Leafpad still will not close reliably.
Something funny going on with that, it closes sometimes when I bring the menu up through the Titlebar and use Close.
After that [running Leafpad again], it may or may not close correctly either through File>Quit or again through right clicking the Titlebar>Close.
regards
proebler

radky

#209 Post by radky »

proebler wrote:Leafpad still will not close reliably.
Hi proebler,

1 - Other applications with similar behavior?
2 - Errors messages in xerrs.log or if you run leafpad in a console?
3 - Some users have described an intermittent "freeze" of application windows with the JWM window manager. Could you also test leafpad in Openbox (go to Menu -> Desktop -> WMSwitcher -> FbBox).

Thanks
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

proebler

#210 Post by proebler »

Hi radky,

No other application found with similar behavior [not extensively tested].

xerrs.log does not show anything related; running from console gives no indication of a problem.

Yes, the behavior can be described as a "freeze".

Switched to FbBox and opened leafpad 10x through console, error did not show up.
Switched back to JWM and opened leafpad through console, the error [freeze] occurred on the 4th try. The error is truly intermittent.

Noted that with a frozen leafpad present, opening a ROX filer window, or another application, will clear/make disappear the frozen leafpad window.

regards
proebler

recobayu

#211 Post by recobayu »

How to access my file using usb cable to my xiaomi redmi phone in this dpup stretch? it is not automatically appear in pmount.
Thank You.

radky

#212 Post by radky »

recobayu wrote:How to access my file using usb cable to my xiaomi redmi phone in this dpup stretch? it is not automatically appear in pmount.
Thank You.
Hi recobayu,

Typically, I do not connect my phone to Puppy but a quick experiment with PupCamera worked fine with my motorola phone (see images below).

If this does not work for you, maybe others could offer alternative advice.

1 - Connect active phone to PC with usb cable
2 - Dpup Stretch Menu -> Graphic -> PupCamera
Attachments
image-1.png
(30.26 KiB) Downloaded 1374 times
image-2.png
(24.09 KiB) Downloaded 1361 times

hamoudoudou

Applications to play with

#213 Post by hamoudoudou »

Not yet tried to download pictures from my phone. It should work . See that later..
About apps, installed ((the verb to learn, happily regular) Geeqie, because pictures can be sorted by date, that is better for diaporama than alphabetical.
Lazpaint loaded as Sfs is perfect.
:( But i fail with Gramps, genealogy, either from PPM or my suitcase pets..
# gramps
bash: /usr/bin/gramps: /usr/bin/python3: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
#

GIMP
, as Sfs on the fly (not tested as a pet)

CamPhoneTab - USB interface for cameras/phones/tablets is what i use with Puppy for my phone.

Puppy linux install on 8 GB USB flash, SSD drive
Just use Grub4Dos, Nothing to move, Keep all your software, just insert Dpup Stretch beside.
Attachments
Dpupstretch .jpg
Tuto to fulfill 8GB pendrive installing Dpup strecth (don't do that !)
(31.74 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Fri 23 Feb 2018, 15:59, edited 3 times in total.

recobayu

#214 Post by recobayu »

radky wrote:
recobayu wrote:How to access my file using usb cable to my xiaomi redmi phone in this dpup stretch? it is not automatically appear in pmount.
Thank You.
Hi recobayu,

Typically, I do not connect my phone to Puppy but a quick experiment with PupCamera worked fine with my motorola phone (see images below).

If this does not work for you, maybe others could offer alternative advice.

1 - Connect active phone to PC with usb cable
2 - Dpup Stretch Menu -> Graphic -> PupCamera
Thank You Radky, I success! :D
I can access my download folder from my phone.
Attachments
myphone.png
(97.71 KiB) Downloaded 1305 times

roadkill13

#215 Post by roadkill13 »

hamoudoudou wrote:
Sad But i fail with Gramps, genealogy, either from PPM or my suitcase pets..
# gramps
bash: /usr/bin/gramps: /usr/bin/python3: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
#
I have GRAMPS installed and running at this time. I noted that GRAMPS is looking for /usr/bin/python3. This does not exist. /usr/bin/python3.5 does exist. You can fix this by right clicking on /usr/bin/python3.5 in the ROX-Filer and selecting "Link" from the context menu. Change the name from python3.5 to python3. This will allow GRAMPS to start as shown below.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(32.75 KiB) Downloaded 1233 times

radky

#216 Post by radky »

recobayu wrote:
...success
I can access my download folder from my phone.
Thank you recobayu for confirming!

---

hamoudoudou wrote:
But i fail with Gramps, genealogy, either from PPM or my suitcase pets..
# gramps
#
roadkill wrote:
I have GRAMPS installed (by PPM) and running at this time. I noted that GRAMPS is looking for /usr/bin/python3. This does not exist. /usr/bin/python3.5 does exist. You can fix this by right clicking on /usr/bin/python3.5 in the ROX-Filer and selecting "Link" from the context menu. Change the name from python3.5 to python3. This will allow GRAMPS to start...
Thanks roadkill for assisting hamoudoudou. :)

recobayu

#217 Post by recobayu »

Hi Radky,
There is a problem when i want to remaster this Dpup. The dialog always show. eventhough i mount the iso and click ok it still appear.
Attachments
can not remaster.png
(113.56 KiB) Downloaded 1064 times

radky

#218 Post by radky »

recobayu wrote:There is a problem when i want to remaster this Dpup...
Hi recobayu,

Forum member rerwin is reviewing the remaster script.

charlie6

gnumeric loops infinitely upon Menu/Format/Cell/Format

#219 Post by charlie6 »

Hi radky,
regarding my post here (sorry for its wrong place :oops: )
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 229#980229
the 4.9.71 kernel iso has goffice-0.8.16 in it instead of goffice-0.8.17.

Loading the goffice-0.8.17.pet from wheezy repo fixes the issue ....
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 0.8.17.pet
but gnumeric launched from terminal still reports:
(Although it does not seem to affect gnumerics usability...)

Code: Select all

# gnumeric

(gnumeric:2493): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 950 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnumeric:2493): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 987 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnumeric:2493): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 1321 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnumeric:2493): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2267 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnumeric:2493): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2669 was not found when attempting to remove it

(gnumeric:2493): GLib-CRITICAL **: Source ID 2825 was not found when attempting to remove it

etc...etc...
HTH,
Charlie

Smithy

#220 Post by Smithy »

Hi Radky,
I am reposting this observation from rcrsn51 (Bill) in another Stretch thread just in case it was missed.

The Stretch version of the GTK File Chooser window tries to make your life easier by showing you ALL your available mount points. These include everything in /etc/fstab (which don't make any sense as mount points in a Puppy frugal setup) and ALL the available partitions.

Compare this to older versions of the file chooser where the left panel just goes down to File System, plus any bookmarked locations. Partitions only appear in the panel if you have mounted them yourself.

I cannot find any configuration option to turn the bad behaviour off - it must be baked into the code. I guess that someone thought this was a good idea.

Maybe it makes sense when used in some other desktop environment.

A GTK guru would need to comment on whether it's possible to downgrade GTK to a more Puppy-friendly version without breaking stuff.