LS-120

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
seasoned_geek

LS-120

#1 Post by seasoned_geek »

Hello,

Since Puppy is supposed to be for older machines, I thought I would ask in here to see if the LS-120 IDE Super Floppy is still supported with this distro. Most of the YABUs seem to no longer support it but I still have a few and use them for backups when I'm writing books. Started writing two new books and wish to get into my off-site backup habit again. KDE Neon appears to no longer support the LS-120.

If Puppy no longer supports the drive, can someone point me to a distro and version which does? I don't ever want to install Windows 7 or 2000 again. Both support it flawlessly, but . . .

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Try one of the Puppy versions and see.
Puppy did support them and I do not remember anything about no longer supporting them.

No one has talked about LS-120 drives for a long time.
Not many people even have one.

You may be the only one needing support!

Tell us what happens.
Tried this Puppy?
Tried that Puppy?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Fossil

#3 Post by Fossil »

If the poster is still around! I'm a bit late to the party :lol: but I did run an Iomega Zip Drive from an early version of Puppy Linux - perhaps series 2 or 3. Please don't ask me how, it's far into the past. Suffice to say it is possible. Be warned, the old Iomega type drives were extremely slow in operation and more than a little cranky! The so-called 'click-of-death' was the final straw. I gave a working drive plus power supply to the local charity shop.

A quick search revealed:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParametersPuppy
Look under Pmedia
While Ubuntu has this: https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-12074.html

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Frequently use my LS-120 on most distros. Even have an early Puppy installed (FULL) on one. They're on the IDE bus, so just make sure the BIOS recognises them for booting.
Zip s are bit more tempremental. Fortunately, none of mine ever had the C-of-D, but I did get the free handout of discs, just in case. The 240s can still be usefull.