How to upgrade Seamonkey?

Booting, installing, newbie
liatodua

How to upgrade Seamonkey?

#1 Post by liatodua »

Hello,

Just installed Puppy Precise on EeePC . Works perfect. But the Youtube says it needs newer version of the browser for better experience .

The browser included in Puppy-Perfect package is Seamonkey-2.19. On Seamonkey webpage there is 2.49 version available. Seamonkey forums say that the browser should have "upgrade" command in its help menu. Mine clearly hasn't.

Already tried to replace the existing one with the downloaded newer one manually - no success.

I updated repositories. No new version there.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by liatodua on Sun 14 Jan 2018, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.

april

#2 Post by april »

I used precise 5.7.1 and just moved to 64 bit Xenial Pup 64.

You can go to the seamonkey download site and download the latest version and follow their installation notes
https://download.mozilla.org/?product=s ... lang=en-US

or,

You can install quickpet and install it from inside that .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642

I'd recommend the latter as being painless. I'll put up the links in a bit.

liatodua

Seamonkey not in the pet

#3 Post by liatodua »

Thanks for the pet link but Seamonkey is not there and other browsers are too heavy for EeePc.

Will try to do uninstall-install

liatodua

No success with installation

#4 Post by liatodua »

I tried to follow installation instructions on SeaMonkey page (which is basically to create new folder and extract tar of the new version there). But new Version of SeaMonkey wouldn't run:

Code: Select all

#  seamonkey
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.49/libmozgtk.so:
libgtk-3.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn’t load XPCOM.
I also tried to follow instructions in this string: http://www.benningtons.net/index.php/up ... ppy-linux/ - the same result.

:(

Makoto

#5 Post by Makoto »

Install GTK 3. You may have it in the Puppy Package Manager.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Sailor Enceladus

#6 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Another option is to install Flash. Some older browsers rely on it to play some youtube videos.

edit: Actually your warning on youtube probably can be ignored if the videos actually play. I see it in Firefox 28 too.

liatodua

Don't want to make the OS heavy

#7 Post by liatodua »

EeePC is a very weak computer. No other linux distro worked on it properly. So I really do not want to install things I do not need.

Youtube works fine. Just the full screen option is not available. I guess I'd better cope with it.

Thanks for help, anyway

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

YouTube has had beg and plead with me about FF27. Just click the blue box in lower left of page. Your Seamonkey should work. There are add-ond that will help. I will post FireFox types if you need them, they should work with Seamonkey.

Hopefully, you have an Atom CPU. BIG difference over the Celeron CPU.

Here's a link to a better version of Seamonkey. Seamonkey 2.25. Its the same as Firefox 27/28 and generally does better at surfing the 'net and viewing/downloading YouTubes.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."