Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Lassar

Puppy Package Manager Needs Fixing.

#621 Post by Lassar »

I tried to install wine in xenialpup64 using the PPM.

I think I might have installed the 32 bit libraries, before installing it.

Wine64 worked, but 32 bit wine was not working.

"dpkg --add-architecture i386" does not work in puppy.

Code: Select all

root# dpkg --add-architecture i386

Can't locate Dpkg/Arch.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Dpkg::Arch module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.22.1 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.22 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.22 /usr/share/perl/5.22 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base .) at /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook line 14.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook line 14.
dpkg: error: error executing hook 'if { test "$DPKG_HOOK_ACTION" = add-architecture || test "$DPKG_HOOK_ACTION" = remove-architecture; } && test -x /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook; then /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook update; fi', exit code 512

Puppy pet manager needs to be fixed to enable 32 bit architecture.

RetroTechGuy

#622 Post by RetroTechGuy »

bigpup wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:So I typically use Thunderbird as my email client. Unfortunately, Xenial-64 can't seem to install it. I downloaded .pets from the Xenial collection on Ibiblio, which didn't work. And PPM couldn't find one that would install. Did I miss something (this is probable -- what did I miss?).

I also tried Firefox 57, which also didn't work (couldn't install).
Sure the save has free space for the installs?? :idea:

Have you tried to install them from Quickpet?

Uninstall whatever you do have installed by using PPM uninstall.
I would even reboot after the uninstall.
Then try installing from Quickpet.
There should have been plenty of room -- it was a brand new save file (I saw no indication that it ran out of space -- I am running a frugal install). I just started the process of setting it up -- if I can't get my main tools running, there's not a lot of point in tweaking other stuff (the GUI parts are always the fussy ones, so I start there -- most of my other tools are command line).

I'll give Quickpet a try.

Edit: Quickpet successfully loaded Firefox and Thunderbird (though I did need to remove Firefox, so I could change the settings to "not update automagically" so I don't get hammered with Quantum, which breaks all of my various tools...)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Yoliano

ISO CD

#623 Post by Yoliano »

@ bigpup

Tested your code posted on Jan. 3, on my Toshiba L/T, with new, second CD, (which boots OK on the HP Notebook), but with no success. The same messages were returned and then, a few seconds later, a kernal panic occurred. This, before I had pressed any key to proceed. It seems like the kernal does not want to know anything about that word "puppy" and is getting irritated! I am sorry to report failure again. I assume you read my post to "foxpup", under my post to you on Jan 3?

Thanks for your continuing interest.

@ foxpup

Thanks for your new comments. Correction: yes, the graphics card is Radeon R5. Sorry for the error. It is the sole card. There is no other, as far as I know. How do I find out which driver it needs? Xorg Wizard: yes, I have previously made 2 different configs. But no change to boot behaviour resulted. I will try some more permutations, as soon as possible. My wife sends her thanks to you for urging me to make a new CD, which got xenial pup up and running on her HP Notebook! She is very pleased with it.

Your thought about the driver for the R5 is very helpful, as it could very easily be the key to the problem. I must investigate that as my next priority. Many thanks for the pointer.

foxpup

boot failures

#624 Post by foxpup »

Yoliano

I am glad your wife is pleased. :-)
Let's try to give you a laptop on Puppy as well.

First a small question: why are you still burning CD's? On this new machines you can boot from a usb stick. It's quicker and it is easy to change your Puppy or it is even possible to add one and to have several Puppies to choose from. You do not need a big usb, mine is just 4G.

Have you run any Puppy or linux from CD/usb on your Toshiba yet? If not, I wonder if your boot failure could have to do something with the uefi? Do/did you look at the settings in your BIOS yet? You may have to enable booting from usb, or change boot order. And did you turn off secure boot and hibernation in windows?
You may find this page from our dear member Limbomusic interesting:
http://helledussen.com/linux/files/UEFI ... e_usb.html
and this from Barry Kauler, the man who made Puppy:
http://bkhome.org/linux/prepare-your-co ... linux.html

For the Radeon R5 you will have to look on the website of amd/radeon, just google it. For more details of your graphic card(s) you can look in Windows for system information. Maybe the driver is already in the Puppy. If not, you can ask here to add it. But hopefully one of the more generic drivers will work and then you can try to install it yourself, if you want.

gyro

Re: Automatic timezone setting

#625 Post by gyro »

Apologies for this off-topic stuff.
mavrothal wrote:
gyro wrote:Brazen plug:
In my current "init" rewrite project I will use this methodology in a "mk-timezone-file" utility. The resultant "TIME_ZONE" file is pushed into the "initrd.gz" of the target puppy and used by the new "init" script to set the timezone for "init" processing and in the booted Puppy.

gyro
I'm a bit unclear on this.
The mk-timezone-file of a running puppy will push TIME_ZONE into the initrd.gz (ie repackage it) so it can be used in the following boots to setup time zone in the running puppy?
No, the mk-timezone-file utility just creates a TIME_ZONE file in the current directory.
mavrothal wrote:Or everything is going to be within initrd.gz and run from there to setup timezone in the first boot?
Yes, this is all done as part of a script to setup a fresh frugal install to use the new "init".
See the release post http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6&start=96

gyro

Thoranaga

#626 Post by Thoranaga »

Something is not working with pure-ftp sever . Server starts with default user and password but when I try to connect to it all I get is 530 login error.
Under Tahr 6.0.6 or Xenial 7.0.6 i get no such error.

bigpup

#627 Post by bigpup »

Yoliano try the code without puppy in it.

radeon.modeset=0
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Yoliano

ISO CD

#628 Post by Yoliano »

@bigpup

Thanks for your new alternate code. Tried it, but boot failed as before. But the message given this time was: "xwin not recognized"! I think "foxpup" (see below), has put his finger on the problem and that is, xenialpup64 does not have the driver for the Radeon R5 graphics card in my Toshiba L/T. I am looking into that right now and will report back later.

@foxpup

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter. Yes I am aware that the use of an ISO CD is a little obsolete now and for my own use, I have adopted the new alternative. I have been running fd64--710 from a USB-SSD, on my Toshiba, since it was first launched, which was configured according to the instructions of "jamesbond". In a few days I shall be making a new SSD when I upgrade to version 721. Also, when I dallied with Quirky, I did the same thing, using BarryK's instructions. In both cases, I encountered no problems with this method. But it seem's to me that, if xenialpup64 does not have the driver for the Radeon R5 graphics, booting from a USB-SSD will encounter the same problem as the CD. So my first priority is to investigate the driver question.

I chose to make an ISO CD for the HP Notebook for one special reason. My wife is a rather nervous, tentative and insecure owner, user and learner of that machine and does NOT like changes, that cause her new uncertainties and to which she has to adjust! As she has been running tahrpup64 on it, from a CD, I deemed it prudent to stay with a CD for the transition to a new O.S., such as xenialpup64, to minimise the weight of change. When she has become familiar with the new O.S., I will introduce her to the novelty of running from a USB-SSD stick.

I have started investigating the driver issue and found that windows has the AMD Radeon R5 Graphics Driver for Win10 and presents date and version number, which could be helpful. Also, fd64-710 has a long list of AMD Drivers. But with my lack of knowledge, the descriptions given make it difficult for me to identify the graphics driver(s). fd64-710 presents fab graphics on the Toshiba, so it is obviously well equipped with drivers. My next pass is to look at the driver list in xenialpup64, on the HP Notebook, to see if I can analyse the situation there. After that , I will google for more information.

Thanks for your help. I will keep you posted.

bigpup

#629 Post by bigpup »

Yes it is an AMD driver issue.
That code I gave you is suppose to get around the issue.
But the message given this time was: "xwin not recognized"!
That is a strange message to get.

xwin is what starts the desktop.

If it gives you a prompt that takes inputs.

Try typing

xwinjwm
and press enter.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sindi

Scrambled video on HP dv6500 (Slacko 63 Tahr 605 Xenial 75)

#630 Post by sindi »

Lucid Puppy 2016 (oldest kernel) works perfectly on this 2009 laptop without installing a special nvidia driver. It has worked on other laptops where earlier lucids had video problems, and I think it comes with nouveau driver.

The three later puppies all have unusable video. The window that appears at first boot is in three pieces, and the icons are stretched horizontally.
I can read part of the word nouveau.

How can I fix this problem? Tahr behaved similarly on a 2004 DELL 8500.

On this laptop palemoon will not play youtube videos in lupu or Win7.
(It does in Firefox.) I click and nothing happens. On other laptops it plays but only at 360p.

Youtube recently made changes that broke older versions of smtube. Smtube 18 needs libqt5 and other libraries not found in lupu. I got it working with Tahr on my zv5000.

Xenial works well on my 2004 HP zv5000 (Intel) and plays youtube in palemoon at all resolutions.

I would like to use Xenial on the dv6500 with smtube and palemoon for playing youtube videos and for other things that stop working in lupu.

sindi

Re: Scrambled video on HP dv6500 (Slacko 63 Tahr 605 Xenial 75)

#631 Post by sindi »

[quote="sindi"].

On this laptop palemoon will not play youtube videos in lupu or Win7.
(It does in Firefox.) I click and nothing happens. On other laptops it plays but only at 360p.
[/quote]

The problem was a buggy 'cinema-look' add-on. Palemoon now plays youtube on here but I still prefer smtube, and the required latest version needs a newer puppy (or a lot of added libqt5 libraries not available in lupu ppm, libgst* and other libraries not found in lupu, and probably updates to others).

Should I be manually editing some config file for X to make the three newer linuxes work in X?

foxpup

#632 Post by foxpup »

Yoliano wrote:In both cases, I encountered no problems with this method. But it seem's to me that, if xenialpup64 does not have the driver for the Radeon R5 graphics, booting from a USB-SSD will encounter the same problem as the CD.
I suspect that neither fatdog nor quirky have the amd driver and are using a generic driver. Try to check that in their system information tools or even in the xorg.conf file.
Bigpup tries also to get you booting xenialpup64 with a generic driver. Are you sure you add the boot parameters that bigpup gave in the right place? Maybe you are already at the prompt when you type them.
If you boot in uefi mode and not in legacy mode, you (probably) do not get the splash screen at F2 where you can add a line "puppy ..." with boot parameters. Instead you get 2 grub menus. In the second menu you have predefined boot options you can edit 'e'. That is where you can add extra boot parameters in the "kernel line", that is the line that starts with "linux". Add the code from bigpup at the end of the kernel line and press F10 to boot.

radeon.modeset=0
I also wonder: could there be a problem with the version of xorg for your graphic card? Xenialpup has xorg1.18, while fatdog and recent quirkies have xorg1.19 .

I think that the amd propriety driver, like the nvidia drivers, is kernel specific. To use the propriety driver you will have to build/compile yourself, which can be difficult, not painless. It is better to have the possibility to get to X, with a generic driver, if you want to do that.
You may find a link to the build package for the driver you would need here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux There are 3 R5 there; try to get more details about your graphic card(s) with lspci command in console (VGA controller and 3D controller/3D acceleration).

Hesse James

Additional software for Xenial64

#633 Post by Hesse James »

Hello
I have started a thread where I would like to summarize additional software for Xenial64 which is not included in the quickpet or other repositories.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 848#980848

Maybe others like to contribute too ?
Thank you.
Christian

Yoliano

ISO CD

#634 Post by Yoliano »

@foxpup
@bigpup

My apologies for the delay in replying to your latest posts. I have had to deal with various other priorities in these last few days and have not had time to return to this issue, until today.

With regard to bigpup's various code entry proposals, yes I have been entering each one correctly, just as foxpup describes. To assure myself of this, today I repeated the ultimate proposal and again encountered a kernel panic.

With regard to Radeon R5 Drivers, I found myself today, getting mired up in this issue and reached the conclusion that my knowledge is inadequate to handle the installation of a new driver. In my desolation at not having any success in this quest to boot xenialpup64 on my Toshiba L/T, the idea came to me that I should try some of the alternative boot options available in the last boot menu screen. So, first, I tried booting with the option: "Deactivate Radeon Driver". This did not change anything and xorg launched and then exited, as before. Next, I tried with the option: "With KMS - No". This was a shot in the dark, because I don't know what "KMS" refers to! (If someone cares to enlighten me, I will be grateful). But to my great surprise, xorg did not exit and the xenialpup64 desktop came up, followed by the basic config. window. Apparently it was a perfectly normal boot sequence and I was able to accomplish the basic config. and create a save file. I closed the Toshiba and rebooted OK, using the same option and I am typing this post on it, with the help of Palemoon. I also noted that the automatic config. of the graphics driver chose the correct, (actual), resolution of the Toshiba screen, (1600X900). Previously, when I tried to configure the G. Driver via xorgwizard, that resolution was not available.

So, I am sitting here, in front of the keyboard, astonished, greatly relieved and thankful that there is no serious problem of incompatability between xenialpup64 and my Toshiba. All I can say now is thank you both very much indeed for your ongoing interest and generous help, which I appreciate greatly. These Forums are marvelous institutions! Allowing for these good hearted interactions. I am sorry that, in my ignorance, I have created this storm in a teacup. My apologies to you both.

Moat

#635 Post by Moat »

@Yoliano - here's a small blurb about KMS (Kernel Mode Setting) - "...a method for setting display resolution and depth in the kernel space rather than user space."

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ke ... de_setting

Bob

foxpup

Re:

#636 Post by foxpup »

Yoliano wrote: I am sorry that, in my ignorance, I have created this storm in a teacup. My apologies to you both.
No need to apologize. Your ignorance was our igorance and now by sharing, your knowledge has become ours. Thank you.

EDIT: Does someone understand what this means? Does xenialpup not have KMS? Or is the version wrong for this machine? Or ...?

april

#637 Post by april »

Installing and running Printers in xenialpup64 7.5
HP Deskjet 2131($19)
I got "hplip". via Puppy Package Manager.
Installed it ...rather a long one
Went to "localhost:631" in my browser
Modified the printer to use "2130"

Away it went and scanner worked with sane as well.

Canon MG2560 ($15) works straight off

Hesse James

#638 Post by Hesse James »

About Meltdown and Spectre vulnerability: latest kernel 4.9.77 with RETPOLINE mitigation for Xenial64.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3&start=36
Christian

duetta

#639 Post by duetta »

First time poster.

I was having a similar problem as Yoliano installing Xenialpup64 7.5 (and 7.0) on my home-built music PC, which uses an AMD Kabini APU, on which I had been using TrustyTahr 6.05 as one of several OSs. No matter which option I chose, I could never get past the stage of the install where the graphical video driver was supposed to kick in.

I solved the problem in an interesting way, however - and this knowledge may prove useful for others. By browsing this board, I discovered that another member had created an alternate version of 7.5 with XFCE desktop. On a whim, I attempted to install that version - and that installation worked like a charm.

There is evidently a file important to users with AMD APUs included with that remix that is not present in the original version. It's also present in TrustyTahr - which I have been using for several years.

Perhaps this will help someone else.

april

#640 Post by april »

Mine went the opposite way

I was using a TV as a monitor and the one you mention would not work past that point also.

This one worked straight off .

So it is a setting in the video configuration that gets first loaded to the screen before the x11 configuration jumps in to see what it has to work with and because it has nowhere else to go it fails .

Maybe someone knowledgeable can tell us what configs each of these uses for initial screens ..