When I shut down puppy it crashes so I cant save my session

Booting, installing, newbie
tomasrobertson2001

When I shut down puppy it crashes so I cant save my session

#1 Post by tomasrobertson2001 »

I am running an old Pentium 2 laptop with a live CD of puppy version 2.13 and it all works fine until i shut it down because when i go to menu then shut down which ever option i choose it always crashes. This in itself is not a big problem because i just manually turn the computer off but it does mean that i cant save my session. Does anyone have any answers ?
P.S. is there anyway to save a session without shutting down puppy ?

thanks, tommy

norsiwel

#2 Post by norsiwel »

You could try using the ctrl-alt-backspace key combination to exit from X and then typing reboot at the prompt, if the crash is X related then you should get the option screens to save the session.
the only thing that is constant is change

SirDuncan

#3 Post by SirDuncan »

I have had the same problem with a custom CD I made. I assumed it had something to do with IceWM. I used ctrl+alt+backspace and would have it hang the same way as if I had shutdown. This hasn't caused me any real problems since I only use that CD for HD installs on my laptop (all my default programs are tweaked just the way I like them). Out of curiosity, is the Puppy you are using Litepup based? Mine is, and I wondered if maybe something was left out of Litepup that was important for IceWM.
Be brave that God may help thee, speak the truth even if it leads to death, and safeguard the helpless. - A knight's oath

tomasrobertson2001

no luck

#4 Post by tomasrobertson2001 »

when i use the ctrl + tab +backspace it hangs but I have found a way around the problem ! i load puppy onto my main computer and install/adjust puppy on it then save the session onto a flash stick and boot puppy from the flash stick on the laptop. It would still be handy to know if there are ways of saving sessions without shutting down puppy though ?

MU

#5 Post by MU »

type in a consolewindow:
sync

Mark