Aspire v5 touchscreen & touchpad problems

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
p310don

#1 Post by p310don »

I have acquired an Acer Aspire v5 (found it in a bin actually) which didn't work until Puppy power came to the rescue.

Everything seems to work wonderfully (except 1 & TAB keys) and except for the touchscreen, kind of.

The touch screen works, but it out by at least 50mm from where I touch to where it registers. Until today briefly.

The normal touch pad works great. Except, briefly today double tapping and hard tap to activate a program ie browse from desktop did not work at all. This has been an issue I have seen on other laptops, just use the buttons at the bottom, it isn't as good, but works ok. BUT, I discovered that when the touchpad isn't working 100%, the touchscreen is working perfectly.

I rebooted and the touchpad started working right, and, of course, the screen was out.

Most of the time the touchpad works right, but now that I have seen the screen working right, I want to get it so that both work right.

Does anyone know of / have a driver for such a machine? Or is there a clue for which setting in xorg.conf (I'm assuming) needs adjustment for both to work?

FYI - I am currently using Xen647.5 but had the same screen out of whack issue with Tahr64.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I have acquired an Acer Aspire v5 (found it in a bin actually) which didn't work

Could this be a clue as to what could be wrong :shock: :!:
It was all working great, but someone decided to throw it away!

Tried to take the back cover off and look inside for anything loose, damaged, burned, clogged with dust, etc.......?

Tried any of the setup in menu>Setup>Mouse/keyboard Wizard>Touchpad?

Any chance there could be a switch or key to control any of this? :idea:

slacko64 6.9.9.9 or Slacko64 6.3.2 may be a better Puppy for touchscreen.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

peterw

Strip it Down

#3 Post by peterw »

bigpup advice is good. It was most probably binned because it was thought to be totally broke. It appears that the top left hand part (1 and tab) area has been damaged by a fall or liquid spill. Strip it down; clean it with brushes and (I use water and little soap) and thoroughly dry. Look for any physical damage. Touchpads, if misbehaving, also can be disassembled and cleaned and often work again.
It looks like with a little effort you have got yourself a good machine.

p310don

#4 Post by p310don »

I am certain that there is nothing wrong with the touchscreen because it works when the touchpad isn't working (which has happened twice now and was solved with a reboot).

I bet the reason this PC was binned was one of two things, it didn't boot - corrupted windows boot loader, and I'm pretty sure it was stolen, as there was a bunch of old phones and other paraphernalia in the laptop bag.

peterw

Touch Screen AMD drivers

#5 Post by peterw »

Googling around I see that people have got the touch screen working. They have used the AMD drivers direct. I would have thought that these or a variant of them should be in the kernel by now. However you could try using these forum post as a guide for what to do.

http://justanyone.blogspot.co.uk/2013/0 ... spire.html

https://askubuntu.com/questions/324474/ ... -live-disk

foxpup

Re: Touchscreen Adjustment - Help Needed

#6 Post by foxpup »

p310don wrote:I have acquired an Acer Aspire v5 (found it in a bin actually) which didn't work until Puppy power came to the rescue.
I love that! Really in the Puppy spirit. I hope you can give it a second live. Good work.

greengeek

Re: Aspire v5 touchscreen & touchpad problems

#7 Post by greengeek »

p310don wrote:BUT, I discovered that when the touchpad isn't working 100%, the touchscreen is working perfectly.
I can't find the link at the moment but I do recall a while ago seeing someone having a similar issue where the X server could not correctly configure two mice at once (touch screen and touch pad effectively being two different yet similar types of mouse) - so maybe this is an xorg type of issue rather than hardware.
FYI - I am currently using Xen647.5 but had the same screen out of whack issue with Tahr64.
I woud be inclined to try a 32bit and/or 64bit Slacko just to provide a comparison.

p310don

#8 Post by p310don »

I have recently been trying out the latest Fatdog 800B

It mentioned something about touch screens being made to work better.

Thought, hey, that sounds like just what I need on this laptop.

Boot up, no probs, try the touch screen, it is 100% accurate to the touch. Just like the occasional random boot in Xenial.

BUT - as with xenial, when the touch screen is working properly, the touchpad won't click on touch, only the actual buttons work.

Very strange, and I'd suspect greengeek is right about xserver not being about to properly configure two mice at once.

Billtoo

#9 Post by Billtoo »

I have an Aspire v5 laptop, I find the touchscreen trackpad work best in Slacko64,works in Bionicpup64 7.6.7 but not as well as Slacko64.

I prefer to use an usb mouse instead of the trackpat/touchscreen so I turn off the trackpad with the fn-f7 combination,accidently hit the trackpad with my thumb when typing which is annoying.

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Hello p310don and all.

Am I allowed a "non sequitur" post? :twisted:
The title was so tempting!
Source

BFN.
Attachments
gettyimages-BA01130-170667a.jpg
She touched the screen and she got sucked in. Careful what you "aspire" for...
(89.85 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

L18L

#11 Post by L18L »

p310don wrote:...
Does anyone know of / have a driver for such a machine? Or is there a clue for which setting in xorg.conf (I'm assuming) needs adjustment for both to work?
I have an Acer Aspire R3-131T

Touch screen and touch pad work out of the box in RemixOS (the Android emulator)

Any puppy? no idea

Fatdog64-800b ? see 3 posts up

EasyOS-0.9.14 ? Touch is working after configuration of flSylient (found under PupControl)
-- Genaral
---- Touchpad Mode ON
-- Tapping
----- One Finger left button
----- Two Finger right button
-- Scrolling
----- Two Finger Vertical Scroll ON

Hope that helps,
have a nice time
:wink:

p310don

#12 Post by p310don »

L18L - you're a legend.

Your post made me look harder in Fatdog. In the menu there is a touchscreen calibration tool which doesn't work, so I gave up on it. Upon harder looking in the control panel, there is a touch pad control app, which gave me the tap to click option. Turned it on, and now stuff works.

AWESOME

Great for a laptop from the bin :)

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

Does this "touchpad" have visible buttons at the bottom? (or is it actually a "clickpad" with no visible buttons?)

L18L

Touchpad

#14 Post by L18L »

greengeek wrote:Does this "touchpad" have visible buttons at the bottom? (or is it actually a "clickpad" with no visible buttons?)
No visible buttons
Attachments
touch.png
for whom this might help....
(36.39 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

p310don wrote:The normal touch pad works great. Except, briefly today double tapping and hard tap to activate a program ie browse from desktop did not work at all. This has been an issue I have seen on other laptops, just use the buttons at the bottom,.
Thanks L18L - it seems that Acer is using clickpads a lot now.

My question was mostly aimed at p310don's Aspire A5 to clarify if it has a touchpad or clickpad. I was confused by what he meant about buttons at the bottom.

The reason for my question is that the clickpads that have no visible buttons at the bottom can be used in various modes (ie clickpad=1 or clickpad=0).

As well as the one "leftclick" button that is underneath the clickpad (requiring the "hard tap" p310don mentioned above) you can also set up 3 "soft" buttons along the bottom edge of the clickpad.

Unfortunately "flsynclient" does not allow access to all of the adjustable parameters of a clickpad.

However the user can manually change synclient values to change the behaviour of the clickpad. (flsynclient is just a gui for synclient - however it needs updating as it does not support clickpads well)

You can use the following command to see all of the parameters available vis synclient:

synclient -l

(that is a lower case "ell")

On my Acer I have changed the settings so that i have leftclick, middleclick and rightclick set up along the bottom of the clickpad. It makes the clickpad so much more useable for me.

I have made a script to do this automatically if anyone wants it. (and also a "synclient backup" utility so that the user can backup and restore their original settings if wanted)

(EDIT : the scripts have been developed using Xenial 7.5 but should be fine for some other puppies too)
(EDIT2 : this wont have any bearing on the issue with two mouse emulation devices being mishandled by xorg, but does allow adjustability when the clickpad device is correctly detected)