GXine 0.5.905 (FULL package) for Slacko 570

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Mike Walsh

GXine 0.5.905 (FULL package) for Slacko 570

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

My compiling skills are, as you're probably all aware by now, bloody abysmal. And that's being truthful. I'm not proud of this fact, but I've accepted that apart from the very simplest 'recipes', it's not one of my better skills.....

So, I tend to go with the next best option for me.....which usually involves 'adapting' a package from one Pup for another, using a contemporary Pup that would have been released around the same time. This tactic normally comes into play when I want to get something running on the Slackos; I find that all too often, I have to go on a 'lib-hunt' to get stuff working in the Slackware-based Pups.

For the 'buntu-based Pups, usually all that's required is to install from the PPM. Slackware, however, are rather more minimalist in their outlook, and expect that their users are going to be savvy enough to track down anything required anyway (it's why Slackware is not recommended for beginners to Linux).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway; I've been trying to make several of my Pups 'leaner', and have recently started using GXine. I like it. It's nicely minimalist, yet it gives wonderfully crisp, clear image reproduction on my hardware.....plus I wanted something light enough to work with the P4 in the old Dell lappie, without sending the old girl into a tizzy.

Having got the Precise package working in the later 5-series Slackos, I'm happy to offer Gxine 0.5.905. I apologise for the larger than usual size for this, but it's like as not down to the fact of being compiled for a different Puppy/kernel combination, and more than likely down to the options selected.....and Canonical's usual, over-the-top thoroughness (as with everything they do!) But it does work, very well, and comes with the full set of options.

If anybody fancies giving it a try, you can find it at the usual location; my MediaFire a/c:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iq7qvgb9r ... l-i686.pet

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink: