Missing wireless interface

bushyiii

Missing wireless interface

#1 Post by bushyiii »

Running Easy2 from a USB thumb drive on a Dell E4310 laptop. Wireless works fine on every other distro I have tried.
Maybe this info can help:
Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 3x3 AGN
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwifi

Terry H

Re: Missing wireless interface

#2 Post by Terry H »

bushyiii wrote:Running Easy2 from a USB thumb drive on a Dell E4310 laptop. Wireless works fine on every other distro I have tried.
Maybe this info can help:
Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (rev 35)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 3x3 AGN
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwifi
The firmware you require for your Intel Wirelesscard is not included in the release. You should be able copy it from another working linux to the /lib/firmware of the easy installation.
To determine the required firmware you can run in a terminal:

Code: Select all

dmesg | gep wifi
This should give you something like the following line: (possibly you may get several lines)
iwlwifi 0000:04:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6xxx-xx.ucode failed with error -2

The easiest way for me is to copy from another linux installation that has working wifi. If you look in /lib/firmware of a running linux installation you can copy the iwlwifi-6xxx-xx.ucode (the one from dmesg with the highest version number is best, but any version mentioned in dmesg will do)

OR

You can download firmware from Intel, the following page should help you:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... rking.html

bushyiii

Post subject: Re: Missing wireless interface

#3 Post by bushyiii »

So I find two lines that show failed:

4.211122] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode failed with error -2
[ 4.212632] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-6000-5.ucode failed with error -2
[ 4.224374] iwlwifi 0000:02:00.0: loaded firmware version 9.221.4.1 build 25532 op_mode iwldvm

In /lib/firmware I only find the following using iwlwifi-6000:iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode

Is what's happening that the OS is starting at the highest version and loads once it finds one that works, hence iwlwifi-6000-4?

Terry H

#4 Post by Terry H »

bushyiii wrote: Is what's happening that the OS is starting at the highest version and loads once it finds one that works, hence iwlwifi-6000-4?
Basically yes, but it will only check a few times, so some times it may still not find firmware, if the version is older. This is unfortunately not the situation you are experiencing, as firmware is found and loaded.
I was expecting that firmware wasn't being loaded, but unfortunately firmware is loaded (iwlwifi-6000-4), but your wifi is still not working.

I'm not using easy, so am assuming that rfkill is included on Easy, so run in a terminal:

rfkill list
You're looking for a wlan entry with 2 no's. This is mine:

# rfkill list
0: phy0: wlan
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: hci0: bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
If you don't have a wlan entry, try this in a terminal:

modprobe -rv iwldvm  
This stops the loaded module Followed by:

modprobe -v iwldvm
You can string both of these commands together with && between them also. Run the rfkill list command again to check.

If the rfkill command has a wlan entry but is Hard blocked, it is a hardware switch on the laptop that is stopping the wifi from working.

If the wlan entry is Soft blocked: yes, try:

rfkill unblock all
If still no wifi, then it's beyond my knowledge level and probably can't assist further.

bushyiii

#5 Post by bushyiii »

The firmware is not loaded, what I last posted is what I find working when booting a different distro on the laptop.

So I have a copy of the working firmware, where do I paste it on the USB Flash Drive so it is found during the boot process?

Terry H

#6 Post by Terry H »

bushyiii wrote:The firmware is not loaded, what I last posted is what I find working when booting a different distro on the laptop.

So I have a copy of the working firmware, where do I paste it on the USB Flash Drive so it is found during the boot process?
Oh, I thought that the dmesg and /usr/lib/firmware details you posted was from easy.

The firmware needs to be placed in /usr/lib/firmware.