CUPS unzip error

Booting, installing, newbie
Runtypup

CUPS unzip error

#1 Post by Runtypup »

Hello,

Just d'led the latest version of cups to try and get my printer going, but when I click on the icon in ROX I first get this message:

File integrity is okay: cups-install-v0.3.pup

Then when I hit the unzip button I get:

ERROR unzipping: cups-install-v0.3.pup

Any ideas as to cause or remedy? Plenty of room on my USB drive, so that's not it.

Thanks,

John

MU

#2 Post by MU »

it unzips to a temporary folder.

edit
/usr/sbin/dotpuprox.sh

change this line
DPDIR=/root

Use a folder on a drive with enough space (must have a Linux filesystem, but I'm not shure, maybe also works on windows drives.).

for example

DPDIR=/mnt/sda1/tmp

Mark

Runtypup

#3 Post by Runtypup »

Thanks for the quick reply MU.

Ok,

I've edited the file. I still get the same error.

I can't imagine there is an issue with the amount of space on my drive. I have over 700mb left on a 1GB drive. As an experiment I mounted another entirely empty 1 GB drive and changed the path to it. Still the same error. I do see there is a DotPupTmpDir that has been created at the root level of the first USB drive. It contains five files related to CUPS.

I should add I'm booting puppy from a CD and using a USB drive as sda1 where the root directory resides.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to where to go from here?

Thanks again,

John

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

the dotpup file is just a zip file ... you can install the package manually like this:

1) create a new empty directory on a Linux drive

2) copy the dotpup file into the empty directory

3) open an rxvt console in the directory ... you can right click the Rox window and click Window, Terminal Here

4) type: unzip -t cups-install-v0.3.pup
there should be no error messages

5) type: unzip -o cups-install-v0.3.pup
there should be no error messages

this is where your problem is ... when the file is unzipped, there is some sort of error

you need about 19 megs for the dotpup file and about 19 megs more for the unzipped files ... a total of about 40 megs ... there are 7 tar.gz files that will be unzipped when the installer runs, how much space that will require i don't know

if it unzips without errors, go to the next step

6) type: ./dotpup.sh

the package should now install itself

you can delete the temporary folder after the installer finishes installing

the dotpup handler is (intentionally) a very simple script .. it just unzips the dotpup file and runs the install script inside

by the way, you can set DPDIR=/root or DPDIR=/tmp ... if you set it to anywhere else, you need to edit the file /usr/sbin/dotpuprmtmpdir, which deletes the temp dir ... i used a separate executable file rather than a subroutine because i thought it would be easier if someone wrote a program to automatically change the location of the temp dir ... also, this version of the dotpup program was an experiment with using gettext, i did not expect it to be included with Puppy, so i really didn't care whether i used a separate program to delete the temp dir or not

Runtypup

#5 Post by Runtypup »

Ok,

Managed to unzip it all to a new directory. I typed ./dotpup.sh and the installer began running. Then when it fired up the browser (Firefox) all I get is HTML and no useable web interface. It appears to be the right page, except it's displayed as code. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again

John