How to get Virtualbox 3d acceleration working in Windows?

Using applications, configuring, problems
mjmikulcik

How to get Virtualbox 3d acceleration working in Windows?

#1 Post by mjmikulcik »

Has anyone got 3d acceleration to work for a windows guest in a puppy linux host.

I've been using Slacko64 6.3.2, I finally got vbox to run by following this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=195

I boot up a Windows 10 iso and alas, no 3d acceleration. I've checked it in the settings, and glxgears works on the host and even on a slacko guest but whenever I go to start windows it aborts soon into it.

I thought this could have been caused by not installing the windows guest with acceleration turned on, so I made a new windows virtual machine this time with it on, but it too crashes but a little later.
Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Log of windows that aborts and idk why
(100.54 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Screenshot.png
(85.04 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

Galbi

#2 Post by Galbi »

Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

mostly_lurking

#3 Post by mostly_lurking »

Are you sure your host system has hardware acceleration? What graphics driver are you using? I'm far from being an expert, but unless I'm mistaken, anything that says "indirect rendering" or "software rasterizer" (as seen in one of your logs) means non-accelerated graphics. Menu > System > PupSysInfo will give you an overview of your graphics settings (go to Devices > Display).

That glxgears is working only means that your graphics driver has some basic OpenGL support, not necessarily that it's accelerated. Even the generic, non-accelerated Vesa driver can run it. The screenshot below shows Slacko64 6.3.2 (running on Virtualbox on a Wary Puppy 5.1.2 host, both using Vesa) with PupSysInfo, glxgears, and /var/log/Xorg.0.log stating that it can't use direct (hardware) rendering.

However, if your host system's graphics driver does indeed support hardware acceleration, I don't know how to tell Virtualbox to recognize it.
Attachments
guest-glx.png
(100.09 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

mjmikulcik

#4 Post by mjmikulcik »

I think I'm starting to understand it better, and I'm asking the wrong question. Your attachment was very helpful so thank you for such a quick answer. I matched up my files with your attachment and got these (they look pretty similar)

Display Specifications:
• Monitor VertRefresh: 60.0 times/s
• Screen Dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
• Screen Depth: 24 bits (planes)

Xorg Startup Log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
• Xorg Driver in use: modesetting
• Loaded Modules: dbe dri extmod fb glx kbd mouse shadow synaptics
• X.Org version: 1.14.3

OpenGL 2D/3D Rendering:
• Direct Rendering: Yes
• Vendor: Mesa Project
• Renderer: Software Rasterizer
• Version: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7

VGA controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:1616] (rev 09)
• Kernel Driver: i915
• Memory Used: 1046.91 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/4.9.30/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
• Description: Intel Graphics

I found this
[ 22.100] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[ 22.100] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
[ 22.238] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast

I think the right question is can I use opengl 2.0 on virtualbox windows guest and if so how?

I'm not sure whether or not I have the correct driver for my gpu. I guess I don't, but can I still do what I want or do I need a driver or what? Thanks in advance

mostly_lurking

#5 Post by mostly_lurking »

mjmikulcik wrote:I think the right question is can I use opengl 2.0 on virtualbox windows guest and if so how?

I'm not sure whether or not I have the correct driver for my gpu. I guess I don't, but can I still do what I want or do I need a driver or what?
Frankly, I don't know. I've never had an Intel graphics card and I have no idea whether your current driver can do this (or if it requires some setting in Virtualbox that I'm unfamiliar with, or just more (video) memory for the guest), or whether there is another driver that can. I know that there are accelerated, OpenGL-capable drivers available for Nvidia and AMD cards, but I'm not sure about the capabilities of Intel drivers.

If nobody else who is reading this thread knows a solution - or the ones who might know don't read a thread about Virtualbox and Windows -, maybe you'll have more luck asking about your Intel card in the forum's Hardware > Video section to find out if your setup is okay and just needs some tweaking, or if you need a different driver to do what you want.

mjmikulcik

#6 Post by mjmikulcik »

I think I've figured it out. I'm running modesetting instead of the intel driver because I can't get the intel driver to work perhaps due to kms, so thank you for your help.