Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Jul 2020, 13:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Puppy via USB onto old Asus netbook?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
cthisbear

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 21:06    Post subject:  

specs:

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/Eee_PC_1000HE/specifications/

Pretty much the specs of my Acer Eee_PC

:::::::::

" I don't want a live usb drive. Would run too slowly. "

Usually untrue.
Depends on having a save file.
Also some usbs are faster than others.
You would need >>>usb 2.0

Cheap.
Not stuffing anything up.
Works all the time.
You make a backup of the save file just in case of a corruption.

I have multipups on different usbs.

Chris.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 21:21    Post subject:    

Mike Walsh, Thank you so much for your confirmation. I'm looking forward to this.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 21:49    Post subject:  

cthisbear, why do you need more than one OS? Just curious.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 22:06    Post subject: About your Windows Recovery Partition  

Hi again DavidSpector,

I didn’t know that your Asus has a recovery partition. Before running gparted you’ll have to decide whether you’ll want to keep it. With a 160 Gb hard-drive you could. All Puppies have access to your entire hard-drive and anything you plug in. I don’t keep datafiles (pictures, documents, videos, etc.) within any Puppy, but rather on the rest of the hard-drive. My fully ‘fleshed out’ Tahrpup uses only about 1.5 Gb exclusive of SFSes, some external programs, and portable-wine. The first two are like Windows portables. You don’t install them but instead run them from anywhere. Without checking/counting, I think I have about 5 Gbs of those which run under Tahrpup. Wine enables you to run some Windows programs. Portable-wine, as its name implies, would also reside on your hard-drive rather than within your Tahrpup installation. At one point –mostly because I would test programs other Puppy fans wanted-- I had 32 Gbs of programs in the portable-wine folder. So, as I said, you could keep the recovery partition. But, I don’t know of any way to make use of it if you wanted to re-install Windows. Untested: Hiren’s BootCD actually is downloadable as a ISO, http://www.hirensbootcd.org/, you can install to a USB-Key and run from there. One of the modules contained in Hirens is a Mini-XP that you can use to run windows programs. My guess is that somewhere within the recovery partition is an xp program you’re supposed to run to perform the recovery.

The ‘common wisdom’ used to be “keep XP, use Puppy” meaning that XP provided some programs you couldn’t find equivalents for running Puppies. I haven’t run XP in years except to do taxes and last year I even did my taxes running Puppy. As of this point in Linux development, and Puppy’s, I can only think of two things XP might be useful for. One is running Dragon Naturally Speaking*. And the other was the simple Movie creation program that came only with Windows XP having the name, I believe, Movie Creator. Under Puppies there are both easy to use video editing applications and others rivaling commercial programs. But nothing as simple as the ‘Movie Creator’ which came with XP – I think Service Pack 2.

So, keeping anything having to do with XP is, IMHO, an unnecessary luxury. Frankly, once you’ve gotten Tahrpup running on the Asus, you’ll find it will run ‘rings around’ your Windows 8.1. You may find that you’ll have to fight with your wife as to who get to use the ‘really good’ computer.

At any rate, you’ll have to make a decision at some point whether to keep the recovery partition. You could leave that decision for another time. But you’ll still have to know how to identify it before running gparted. When you boot into Tahrpup from the USB-Key, you’ll notice icons just above the ‘taskbar’. See for example the screenshot at, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=977402#977402. Although its not of Tahrpup, most Puppies will display those icons. They are short-cuts to each drive and, if a drive has been partitioned, each partition. Booting from a USB-Key, the icons to the left will, I think, represent your hard-drive and the one furthest to the right will be your USB-Key. My best guess is that the icon to the furthest left will be your Windows installation and the one to its right will be the recovery partition. Letting the mouse-cursor hover over an icon for a couple of seconds will show you its format and size. Left-clicking an icon will mount and open that drive or partition and reveal its contents. Note that each icon has a name, such as sda1, sda2 and sdb. The same name will be used by gparted to identify the drives and partitions. Gparted will also show each partitions size and current format. Best to know in advance which is the recovery partition if you don’t want gparted to do anything to it.

Before starting gparted, you’ll want to Left-click the icon again to unmount the partition(s) gparted is to manage. It can’t work with mounted partitions.

mikesLr

* I now have a Windows 7 computer with 8 Gbs of RAM from which I can run Dragon. I can type faster. Go figure.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017, 22:22    Post subject:  

There still seems to be some confusion here over what I am trying to achieve. With 160 GB available on my old computer, there is no rush to destroy partitions. I only need the largest one, I'm sure.

But there is also no point discussing recovery when I've already said I don't need Windows on that computer.

To all:

Status: I've downloaded unetbootin-windows-657.exe and tahr-6.0.5.iso and backed up and reformatted a 4 GB flash drive in preparation for tomorrow.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 00:56    Post subject:  

Quote:
reformatted a 4 GB flash drive in preparation for tomorrow.

You probably are going to need to flag that partition you formatted as boot.
Whatever you used to do the formate should offer the option to set flags.

I assume the USB flash drive has one 4GB partition.

cthisbear

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 06:35    Post subject:  

" cthisbear, why do you need more than one OS? Just curious. "

I fix computers occasionally and I want a multiboot so I can
boot various Puppies plus the Falcon Boot cd.

An example >>I have a Sandisk Cruzer Facet 8 gigs

amongst many other usbs.......looks like this

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/sandisk-32gb-cruzer-facet-usb-2-0-flash-drive-sdcz5532gb

I was given a HP Compaq nc6400 over a year ago.

The only usbs that boot on that piece of work are the Sandisk 8gig
and an old LG one Gig..

4 other brands failed me.
Yet they boot other PCs.

Some motherboards remember the boot order and many don't.
My desktop Gigabyte has to configure the hard drive order every time.
F12 never works.

Your Eeepc should work every time after setting it up correctly.

:::

And I always leave Windows there....but enjoy Puppy.
Trust me....you might just want it once.

Remove all the antivirus.
Only install Malwarebytes antivirus free edition.
Turn off updates.
Use an old Ccleaner version...I mean from a year ago because Avast stuffed it up...and clean the hard drive.
It can also remove all the unnecessary startups.
Windows autoruns is good for that as well and removing dead registry entries.

Use my fix Windows manually remove the crap from here halfway down

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1198871

and your machine will speed up quite a bit.

:::::::;

usb booting issues....a few of my posts

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=973407#973407

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=884452#884452

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=773925#773925

Chris.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 10:27    Post subject:  Memories
Subject description: Nostalgia about memories, memories about size

Chris, wow. 32 GB, and so cheap too. I expect to see a 1 TB flash drive someday soon, maybe not too affordable at first. Thanks for all the other interesting stuff. Every once in a while I search for articles on speeding up Windows or Firefox; every one is worthless. No one has discovered why XP runs so slowly in its old age.

I sped it up a lot by deleting from Firefox the bloated history database, which contains much more than just a URL and a date--it has the URL and position for every entry in a tab's history. What a poor design. And the data for the extra caching of favicons and DNS entries are repeated in several of FF's databases.

But soon it got slow again for some other reason I can't find.

I was a software engineer in the old days on DEC computers where you had 256 or 512 words for each device driver. To fit a dumb disk driver supporting bad sectors into that space (minus the table of initial bad sectors that came from the formatting program) required using instructions as constants and many other tricks.

In the early days of Multics (which was the inspiration for Unix) we got a quota of 10 MB for our account, so we had to delete old segments (files) manually sometimes. In those days there were no videos, no images, no sound files, so we didn't need so much primary and secondary memory...
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 10:30    Post subject:  

@DavidSpector: So how is installing puppy going?

DavidSpector wrote:
Thanks! I will back up anything needed from the old computer. If the Windows recovery partitions are untouched, I might even be able to restore Windows in case of disaster.

DavidSpector wrote:
cthisbear, why do you need more than one OS? Just curious.

DavidSpector wrote:
But there is also no point discussing recovery when I've already said I don't need Windows on that computer.

I think your posts have conflicting information in them. Your 2nd and 3rd post should not have been made since you already have given a reason. Dual-booting XP and puppy is very easy to do, just follow the instructions by bigpup to put puppy on a USB, then when booted into puppy on the USB just use Puppy Universal Installer and grub4dos to add puppy to your hard drive (it will also add it to your boot menu). Smile If you have any serious questions while doing the installation to USB or HDD, just ask.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 11:32    Post subject:  

DavidSpector wrote:
Chris, wow. 32 GB, and so cheap too. I expect to see a 1 TB flash drive someday soon, maybe not too affordable at first.

I have half-a-dozen or so of these:-

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4719823

Pretty cheap, and around the size of your thumbnail. I've used a pair of them to give me 256 GB of 'external storage' to a 15-yr old P4-based Dell laptop, via a PCMCIA 'CardBus' adapter with 4 USB 2.0 ports. (USB 3.0 running through a USB 2.0 port is much faster than USB 2.0 running through the same port. Try it for yourself.)

The other two ports contain dongles for wireless mouse & keyboard.

There are plenty of '1TB flash drives' swamping eBay & Amazon. Beware, though; most of these are 'fakes', probably cheap 8 or 16 GB drives 'masquerading' as much larger ones to fleece the gullible.

------------------------------------------------------

To answer your other question to Chris about why so many operating systems, well..... For some of us, the attraction is more in getting the OS set-up and working, rather than actually using it! Embarassed There's a very long-running thread on the Forum, the regular participants of which spend all their time doing nothing but try out one Linux OS after another.....

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69050

Each to their own. Smile

Mike. Wink

DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 12:02    Post subject:  

foxpup, this is a reply to your posting http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/posting.php?mode=quote&p=977494 above.

You say that installation of puppy along with Windows is easy, then you give instructions that I find impossible to understand about partitions.

As I've said, I want to replace Windows, which is too slow for my wife's browsing. I don't really understand partitions or the tools that work with them.

This thread has grown, but I will continue to look past your early posting and see if someone has given instructions that don't involve partitions.

I'm running UNetbootin, which seems to have an easy-to-use interface but no Help file. Someone said to follow the instructions, but I see no instructions. I do see a button for putting the ISO onto my flash drive (it even has the Windows drive letter correct already), so I'm going to click it. I know you are all on my side, so I trust I'm doing the right thing.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 12:09    Post subject:  

It copied files for awhile and finished. I'll look through the posts to see what I should do next (my memory is bad because of cancer treatments).
foxpup

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 12:58    Post subject:  

DavidSpector wrote:
foxpup, Your reply is typical of the help offered to beginners. Not one word actually answers the questions I asked.
Well, I did try to give you an answer. Sorry you do not understand it.
Quote:
I am really looking for a way to download a Linux optimized for browsing without requiring any choices or other work on my part.
After downloading there is still some work to do: installing, that is make the computer understand it has to work with the downloaded system. The instructions I refer to just involve copying some files (4?), copying 1 file for backup, and adding some text to 2 files. All basic things. That is why I call it "easy". There are no partitions to make or installation programs to run. You know exactly what happens and can repair yourself if needed.
Quote:
then you give instructions that I find impossible to understand about partitions
I am saying there that you do not need to do anything with partitions, but that you can do it all on the C: drive that is already there.
C: is a partition. You cannot ignore partitions, you can however avoid having to create, whipe or remove them.
Quote:
It copied files for awhile and finished. I'll look through the posts to see what I should do next
Sounds good. I see you follow a slightly different road. You did step 1. from the 7 steps by mikeslr. Let us know how you get along.
DavidSpector

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 13:02    Post subject:  Success - Linux live on flash memory drive  

Success!

I've gone through the quick setup and had no trouble connecting to my home network and running Pale Moon and browsing to my nonprofit website.

Meanwhile, my wife has left to visit her son and family for her grandson's birthday.

So far, Linux/Puppy/Tahrpup has proved to be very smart about its setup--it immediately got screen, mouse, and keyboard running just fine.

This is just what I wanted! Thank you all.

It looks like each time I boot I will get the system already set up, although I haven't tried that yet.

If this will run noticeably faster if installed on the netbook's hard drive, then I should do that next. Too bad it can't be done by running a program or clicking a button, but I can't expect all of this to go so smoothly.

I will follow your advice to print out your instructions to follow them easily.

So somebody please get elected to give me detailed instructions for installing on the old computer's hard drive. No partition changes, please.

Or if this is already available on the web, just give me the URL.
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 17 Dec 2017, 13:25    Post subject:  

Hi DavidSpector,

Glad you got Tahrpup working on USB. Smile To put on hard drive, when you're in Tahrpup on the USB stick, click on Install icon on desktop, then select Puppy Universal Installer (top icon), Internal Hard Drive (probably the first icon on the 2nd section from the top), pick the partition you want, choose Directory, grab the vmulinuz from your USB, Frugal Install, and it should copy it to a folder on that drive. After that is finished, then run Grub4Dos bootloader config in the menu, and it will create a menu entry for Puppy next time you boot (without the USB stick plugged in). You can delete Windows XP later if you want, everything you need will be in the puppy directory on hard drive. Good luck! Smile
Page 2 of 4 [57 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: