MicroXWin for Puppy

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
amigo

#21 Post by amigo »

I found a github repo for microwindows with commits up to 2016. While cloning that here, I found that I already had a microwindows folder with some other goodies, like NanoGTK. Before being abandoned, it was using gtk-1.2.7 and microwindows-0.99. It would be an interesting project to update it to gtk-1.2.10 and microwindows-1.0. Now that would be really useful -especially since nanox/microwindows now has also SDL support to go along with FLTK -which I don't really like.

scsijon

#22 Post by scsijon »

amigo wrote:I found a github repo for microwindows with commits up to 2016. While cloning that here, I found that I already had a microwindows folder with some other goodies, like NanoGTK. Before being abandoned, it was using gtk-1.2.7 and microwindows-0.99. It would be an interesting project to update it to gtk-1.2.10 and microwindows-1.0. Now that would be really useful -especially since nanox/microwindows now has also SDL support to go along with FLTK -which I don't really like.
Yes, I found it too, but it's not quite what it seems, it looks like a rebuild after the partial github crash which unfortunately stuffed dates up everywhere. I have the same stuff with 2009 dates that came from volkspc. It talks about linux 2.x too.

Mind you, i've also found nano-x bits and pieces elsewhere like gentoo and deb so I intend to search where I can and try to put them together first. I admit i'd like to see what I could do without the standard X as I consider it's getting too big and complicated.

thank you anyway.

amigo

#23 Post by amigo »

No, I found commits still in 2016 here:
https://github.com/ghaerr/microwindows
And there's a fork/mirror for buildroot here:
https://github.com/moovel/microwindows

I already started last night picking out the changes made to gtk-1.2.7 by/for NanoGTK and creating clean patches. Then, I'll get those patches working against stock gdk/gtk+-1.2.10 sources. Then, possibly, get them working against my rather extensively patched version of gtk-1.2.10.

The 2016 microwindows compiles just fine, here. It has build configs/methods for android in there too.

Getting the entire NanoGTK build working smoothly will take a bit of work. Their build seems to be somewhat aimed at builds on windows, hence all the sources in one 'project' -with funny build system included. Probably more feasible to build the gdk/gtk stuff normally, although perhaps with an isolated install location, like /opt/NanoGTK. The gtk sources have lots of changes which might make the libs unusable on normal desktop systems, if installed to the normal locations. NanoGTK includes a few example apps which are interesting -and can be compiled against normal gtk libs, even.

So, back to re-factoring patches -I've done about 2,000 hours of it in the past, so this is not kill me....

georgp24

NXlib library included in Microwindows

#24 Post by georgp24 »

I would not start with NanoGTK as a template. It is a lot of work to convert the Xlib calls in GTK to Nano-X calls.

There is an NXlib compatibility library included with Microwindows. This provides an Xlib interface and uses calls to Nano-X to implement this interface. NXlib is binary compatible with Xlib to the extend it implements the Xlib functions. NXlib provides a subset of the X11 functions sufficient to run most of the GTK 1.2.10 examples. The Readme file reports that you can compile the GTK examples with Xlib and then run them linking to NXlib, compiled as a shared library, instead .