XBMC or Kodi? Puppy Linux version 3.01

Booting, installing, newbie
fatguy

XBMC or Kodi? Puppy Linux version 3.01

#1 Post by fatguy »

Alright,

So since I am not getting anywhere on finding a pet file for the youtube viewer, I am wondering if anyone has any idea how to get XBMC running?

I have a few .SFS files about it, but nowhere can I find how to nmount them and execute them.

It seems I am only capable of running .pet files.

I would like to run XBMC over kodi, but Ill take either so long as I get some youtube and other media services.
Last edited by fatguy on Tue 28 Nov 2017, 00:06, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

what puppy version?

:)

fatguy

#3 Post by fatguy »

Puppy 2 Series Kernel 2.6.18

I suppose it makes it the following, based on the kernel version in use.

Code: Select all

Release notes for Puppy Linux version 3.01

The live-CD iso file is 'puppy-3.01-seamonkey.iso' and is 98.6MB. There is also a "retro" live-CD, 'puppy-3.01retro-k2.6.18.1-seamonkey.iso' that is the same except uses an older kernel -- it is also smaller, at 94.8MB.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

apologies, didn't see 3.01 in the heading

goingbuts (famous for pupngo - low resource stuff) had an early version running on series 4

might be worth a look

https://web.archive.org/web/20120831001 ... mcP412.asp

think you may struggle

fatguy

#5 Post by fatguy »

uh, if i could just get a guide on how to mount sfs i could probbaly get a lot done in this thing...

im not particularly interested in changing systems.

these forums are kinda dead, aye?

ally

#6 Post by ally »

ally

#7 Post by ally »

again not sure if it was available in a series 3 pup, before my time, but system, load on the fly

there was a change in the structure of the sfs so some stuff won't work

if when you click on the sfs file it expands you're golden, otherwise it's not compatible

not suggesting changing, providing info on stuff I've found with the caveat it's for a later system

dead in the respect that you're asking questions about a really old system - yeah....!

ally

#8 Post by ally »

why are you trying very old versions of puppy

what machine specs?

I run a 667 eeepc on slacko 5x and puppeee based on 4.x

fatguy

#9 Post by fatguy »

i think any signs of life would show others chiming in.

i appreciate your help, none the less.

thank you.

I am working on an old dell P4, internal video processing, 256Mb ram.

I have a windows laptop, but this old box is in my office and I would like to use it.

I experimented with the windows 2000 hacks and other low level windows installs previously, but the windows kernel even on older versions uses a lot of ram and video power, which this box does not have.

the laptop is for home media. i dont like dragging a laptop around to my office when i want to start writing. so I want to get this old box doing something.

i used DSL in the past on other low level machines, I really enjoy this legacyos though. its very nice and the only system which had proper ndiswrapper support out of the box for the dreaded wna3100 usb wifi device.

thats probably my main reason why i want to stick with this version.

ndiswrapper is a pain in the ass on other system. i used arch once and got it to work, but crappy ubuntu variants which i despise always had more error than success.

fatguy

#10 Post by fatguy »

i suppose if the latest release of puppy has no problems with ndiswrapper and things like the youtube viewer i would gladly change up. seems to me that it should be almost identicial to this legacyos, as LOS is based off of puppy.

ally

#11 Post by ally »

a p4 will happily run tahrpup, there is a dedicated build for kodi

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Kodipup64

it's a 64 bit build but think is ok

Sailor Enceladus is running xenialpup on a pentium m 75mhz, you might be surprised with a newer build, like I say an eeepc @ 667mhz is quite capable

fatguy

#12 Post by fatguy »

ally wrote:a p4 will happily run tahrpup, there is a dedicated build for kodi

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Kodipup64

it's a 64 bit build but think is ok

Sailor Enceladus is running xenialpup on a pentium m 75mhz, you might be surprised with a newer build, like I say an eeepc @ 667mhz is quite capable

I am running a 32 bit processor.

32 bit architecture is different than 64 bit architecture and can never be compatible. That is to say a 64 bit OS will not be able to run on a 32 bit OS>

This machine is so old it doesnt even have an AGP slot.

That XBMC you linked installed. It has some dependencies I must fix now, but thats a big start, and I thank you for the help, man.

ally

#13 Post by ally »

yes I know, I asked for specs you gave me p4

my own p4 runs 64 bit

nobody can help well if you don't provide info

good luck on you're search

ps - link above provided for a 32bit pet

fatguy

#14 Post by fatguy »

what is your mother tongue/language?

arabic by chance? we are having many communication issues.

anyway, thanks.

Terry H

#15 Post by Terry H »

fatguy wrote:what is your mother tongue/language?

arabic by chance? we are having many communication issues.

anyway, thanks.
Seems only one person is having a communication problem. If you answered the question asked by some one trying to assist you, you may get better assistance. Later P4's were x86-64, so can utilize 64-bit OS's.

So if you give specific details of your system, it is easier for others to assist you,

souleau

#16 Post by souleau »

Forget about XBMC or Kodi running on a system with 256MB RAM, and playing youtube videos over the Internet will be an issue as well.

Your best bet, as far as I can asses, is to use youtube-dl to download the videos you want to see, and then watch them in mp4 format from the harddrive.

You may want to look at GTKplayYT:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100401

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, fatguy.

AFAIK, Ally's from the UK.....same as me. So; British English, I reckon.

32-bit P4? Yeah; that'll run Tahrpup 6.05, all right, but that's about all it will do. Your problem's gonna be that miniscule 256 MB RAM. You can get stuff done with it, but you'll do quite a bit of 'swapping'.....

You do have a swap file/partition set up, I trust? Tahr's recommended minimum is 512 MB, so.....

I've got a 15 yr old, 32-bit, Dell Inspiron 1100 lappie. Still going strong. Originally came with a Celly, 128 MB RAM, and a minute 20 GB HDD. After serious upgrading, it now sports a 'proper' P4, 2 GB RAM, and a 64 GB SSD. Plus a pair of SanDisk 128 GB 'Ultra Fit' nano USB drives as permanent 'external storage'.

Nowt wrong with the P4. That'll run forever. A bit more RAM would help, though; if you could make that up to a gig, you'd be laughing. There's not much call for DDR1 these days, so prices should be reasonable.....that's if you can find any.

And although Intel developed and marketed the P4 on the basis of being good at multimedia stuff, that was back in the days when even video encoding was very much simpler than it is now. The 32-bit P4s are pretty rubbish with modern video, TBH, unless you set 'em to a very low frame-rate, etc. The later 64-bit versions added not only SSE3s, but usually hyper-threading, too.....made a single core behave like a dual. And as for streaming? Nah, forget it. They just don't have the 'grunt' to be able to process the stuff fast enough. Souleau's suggestion about downloading then playing back from the hard drive makes an awful lot of sense with your specs.....

Mike. :wink:

fatguy

#18 Post by fatguy »

Thanks for the input guys.

I have an ati pci video card I found cheap on ebay for the system along with the 2 gigs ram max there as well.

After bills are covered I want to get those and throw em in, which will kinda bring it up to speed alone.

In the meantime Ill probably just leave it on the back burner. I like keeping these 32 bit dinosaurs going. Any of you guys get into the channel LGR on Youtube or some of the other old tech guys?

People think were nuts, but were not all made of money for top tech, and if its not broken, we know.

I think Ill have to get away from the legacy os release though and just get to standard issue puppy though, because a lot of things seem to be left out. In pup forums they say that simply clicking a sfs file is enough to mount it, but in LOS it says that it doesn't know what to do with it. So, even though I really liked the LOS idea, it still leaves a lot out in terms of functionality.

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Yep, LegacyOS takes some getting used to. It's more along the lines of the older, traditional Linux distros. Everything needs to be done manually, and a lot of Pup's built-in functionality (which we all tend to take for granted, TBH), simply isn't there.

Personally, I love keeping 'old dinosaurs' going. To me, if they're still functional, and everything still works as it should, where on earth is the point in adding to the world's landfill problems?

My 'main' machine is a 2004/5 Compaq Presario desktop (from prior to HP's takeover, after which Compaq was relegated to just a name in HP's shoddy line-up.....a sad end for an originally cutting-edge company), running a dual-core Athlon 64 X2. Everything still works, so.....why not?

(It might not cope with modern Windoze very well.....but with Puppy, it absolutely flies!)
I have an ati pci video card I found cheap on ebay for the system along with the 2 gigs ram max there as well.

After bills are covered I want to get those and throw em in, which will kinda bring it up to speed alone.
Sounds like a plan. P4s are slow & stately by modern standards, but.....they'll still get the job done. And the extra RAM will help.....a lot.

Mike. :wink:

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

fatguy - i have some questions:

- how do you run puppy - from a CD boot? Or from a hard drive install?

- do you have a "swap" partition configured on a hard drive?

If you do not have a swap partition yet I would recommend you format a hard drive or a usb stick with a swap partition.

Then I would recommend you try booting Slacko 5.6 and see if it boots.

If it boots we can look at what browser gives you the best results.