[CLOSED] Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jake29

#101 Post by jake29 »

Duplicate post.

jamesbond

#102 Post by jamesbond »

jake29 wrote:Yes, I noted those parameters are present. But in my last quote, the suggestion is that additional parameters are also required.
If this is what you meant:
since kernel 4.13, adding the amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 or amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 kernel parameter is required. Otherwise, AMDGPU will not start and you will end up with either radeon being used instead or the display being frozen during the boot.
Those parameters are kernel parameters that you need to add to your bootloader, the same place where you specify your savefile= and waitdev= parameters (if you use them). They aren't kernel configurations.
My card is "Southern Islands" (SI).
Noted.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jake29

#103 Post by jake29 »

jamesbond wrote:
jake29 wrote:Yes, I noted those parameters are present. But in my last quote, the suggestion is that additional parameters are also required.
If this is what you meant:
since kernel 4.13, adding the amdgpu.si_support=1 radeon.si_support=0 or amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 kernel parameter is required. Otherwise, AMDGPU will not start and you will end up with either radeon being used instead or the display being frozen during the boot.
Those parameters are kernel parameters that you need to add to your bootloader, the same place where you specify your savefile= and waitdev= parameters (if you use them). They aren't kernel configurations.
Thanks for the clarification. I have not used Boot Options before, but will do some reading on the topic.

kirk

#104 Post by kirk »

Jake29,

I looked at this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vulkan which says besides the mesa drivers compiled for vulkan, you also need vulcan loader package https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan- ... tionLayers. I've tried to compile it, but it requires Python3. So I made a python3 package, but now it needs more modules to build. Sorry, I'm giving up for now, it's still an experimental replacement for opengl that only works for some cards.

jake29

#105 Post by jake29 »

kirk wrote:Jake29,

I looked at this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vulkan which says besides the mesa drivers compiled for vulkan, you also need vulcan loader package https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan- ... tionLayers. I've tried to compile it, but it requires Python3. So I made a python3 package, but now it needs more modules to build. Sorry, I'm giving up for now, it's still an experimental replacement for opengl that only works for some cards.
I appreciate you for trying. You are right in that only a small number of people would benefit / or even have interest in it.

I'm happy to spend more time on this myself and if I achieve anything of value, I will report back.

jake29

Visual Bug

#106 Post by jake29 »

I've found a visual bug that occurs when right-clicking on a zip file with long filename. The more characters it has, the larger the space.
Attachments
visual_bug.png
(14.8 KiB) Downloaded 671 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

#107 Post by Billtoo »

I installed to a 16gb SDHC card, (formatted etx3)

Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz
Memory 6036MB (439MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [720]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sat Dec 9 14:59:49 2017
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel MID
Input Devices
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
HDA Digital PCBeep
HDA Intel MID Front Mic
HDA Intel MID Rear Mic
HDA Intel MID Line
HDA Intel MID Line Out
HDA Intel MID Front Headphone
HDA Intel MID HDMI/DP,pcm 3=
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Receiver
Printers
No printers found
SCSI Disks
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH70N
ATA ST500DM002-1BD14
Generic- Compact Flash
Multiple Flash Reader

I compiled pulseaudio-11.1.tar and json-c-0.12.1.tar from BLFS then installed
Firefox-57.0.2 from the Fatdog Control Panel.

Works well,
Thanks.
Attachments
xscreenshot.jpg
(68.16 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

don570

#108 Post by don570 »

BarryK has a script to install pyro64 to a drive i.e. a USB stick
pyro-0.5/4install-quirky-to-drive-mbr

it uses probedisk command

Code: Select all

echo "These are all of the drives found in your PC:"
 INFODRIVES="$(probedisk -m | sed -e 's%/dev/%%')"

Check to see if 'probedisk -m' works in fatdog 720

don570

#109 Post by don570 »

Here is official explanation why there is missing icons in mypaint application
https://github.com/mypaint/mypaint/wiki ... sing-icons

kirk

#110 Post by kirk »

I compiled pulseaudio-11.1.tar and json-c-0.12.1.tar (from BLFS) then
installed Firefox-57.02 from the control panel.
When Firefox was installing it install GTK3,

Sound works at news sites and youtube now.
The update-firefox script, which is found in the control panel or from "Menu - Internet - Firefox Browser" if you haven't installed firefox before, will install gtk3, apulse, and configure firefox sound to work. I just tried it with a clean savefile and it installed Firefox-57,0,2, sound on youtube works.

If you have already installed firefox by some other means and sound is not working, you may have to delete /home/spot/.mozilla and /home/spot/.cache/mozilla. But maybe not, I haven't test that.

kirk

#111 Post by kirk »

I've found a visual bug that occurs when right-clicking on a zip file with long filename. The more characters it has, the larger the space.
Actually that seems to happen if the file you're right-clicking on is positioned near the bottom of the screen. That must be a "feature" of the new ROX :). I'll see if the other guys have noticed this and maybe we can figure out when the bug was introduced.

Billtoo

#112 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:
I compiled pulseaudio-11.1.tar and json-c-0.12.1.tar (from BLFS) then
installed Firefox-57.02 from the control panel.
When Firefox was installing it install GTK3,

Sound works at news sites and youtube now.
The update-firefox script, which is found in the control panel or from "Menu - Internet - Firefox Browser" if you haven't installed firefox before, will install gtk3, apulse, and configure firefox sound to work. I just tried it with a clean savefile and it installed Firefox-57,0,2, sound on youtube works.

If you have already installed firefox by some other means and sound is not working, you may have to delete /home/spot/.mozilla and /home/spot/.cache/mozilla. But maybe not, I haven't test that.
I guess I was lucky I didn't break it, anyway, I've been running this for over 5 hours and it's working well.

I watched a DVD movie with VLC and it runs as root, should it be run as spot?

EDIT: Noticed the VM-Size for Firefox, something strange there.
Attachments
xscreenshot3.jpg
(80.46 KiB) Downloaded 584 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

#113 Post by Billtoo »

The VM-Size in both my Compaq-Presario and Acer installs show a value
in the TB in task manager when running Firefox-57.0.2, not right away but after a short
period of time.

I did a new install of Fatdog on my HP desktop (xscreenshot) and it shows the same
value in task manager when running Firefox-57.0.2 after it's run for a short time.

I also installed Google-Chrome on the new install and it doesn't show
any odd value in task manager.

It seems that there's something not right with Firefox-57.0.2
Attachments
xscreenshot3.jpg
(99.5 KiB) Downloaded 575 times

jake29

Re: Fatdog64-720 Beta [1 Dec 2017]

#114 Post by jake29 »

Billtoo wrote:I also installed Google-Chrome on the new install and it doesn't show any odd value in task manager.

It seems that there's something not right with Firefox-57.0.2
I see the same thing happen for years with certain Wine apps (maybe all of them) and with Tor Browser (Firefox-based). It's not something introduced in this beta.

@jamesbond - With those boot options and the radeon driver blacklisted, Vulkan games work (DOTA2 / Serious Sam 3). Thanks for your help. BTW, the mesa /w vulkan files I uploaded earlier where all that was needed. The 'vulcan loader package' kirk mentioned does not appeared to be required if using the AMDGPU driver.

Edit: LLVM seems to be something that would benefit all users and worth keeping up to date.
Graphics code within the OpenGL stack can be left in intermediate representation, and then compiled when run on the target machine. On systems with high-end graphics processing units (GPUs), the resulting code remains quite thin, passing the instructions on to the GPU with minimal changes. On systems with low-end GPUs, LLVM will compile optional procedures that run on the local central processing unit (CPU) that emulate instructions that the GPU cannot run internally. LLVM improved performance on low-end machines using Intel GMA chipsets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLVM#Features

I've compiled the latest stable version and added to the folder below. No obvious issues in my testing.

llvm-5.0.0-x86_64-1.txz
llvm32-5.0.0-i686-1.txz
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5ld6hviwx1ryz8m/AAAQzVnCW5YpOe5pBOIPKHEra?dl=0

kirk

#115 Post by kirk »

I watched a DVD movie with VLC and it runs as root, should it be run as spot?
We run VLC as root. And yes, you can grant VLC network access. The problem with having user spot run it is that people tend to use a media player to open things on network dives and flash drives and so on. So a restricted user becomes a bigger inconvenience than it is a security risk. At least that's the thinking.
The VM-Size in both my Compaq-Presario and Acer installs show a value
in the TB in task manager when running Firefox-57.0.2, not right away but after a short
period of time.
That actually seems like a kernel bug. But it is just VM allocation, not real memory.
The 'vulcan loader package' kirk mentioned does not appeared to be required if using the AMDGPU driver.
That's good news. Do you notice any improvement with the vulkan drivers? I did make a 64bit mesa vulkan package too, but by that time you had already done it. I did have to patch them for missing linux/memfd.h, so I don't know what consequences that has. I might add the two mesa-vulkan packages to the repo.
Edit: LLVM seems to be something that would benefit all users and worth keeping up to date.
It's required to build the mesa radeon/amd drivers. So unfortunately we have to have it. The unfortunate part is the size, and it just keeps getting bigger. EDIT: I should also mention we compile llvm static, so you won't see it in the base.sfs.
Last edited by kirk on Sun 10 Dec 2017, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

step

#116 Post by step »

don570 wrote: Check to see if 'probedisk -m' works in fatdog 720
probedisk2 -m works for me.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

jake29

#117 Post by jake29 »

kirk wrote:
The 'vulcan loader package' kirk mentioned does not appeared to be required if using the AMDGPU driver.
That's good news. Do you notice any improvement with the vulkan drivers? I did make a 64bit mesa vulkan package too, but by that time you had already done it. I did have to patch them for missing linux/memfd.h, so I don't know what consequences that has. I might add the two mesa-vulkan packages to the repo.
It's required to build the mesa radeon/amd drivers. So unfortunately we have to have it. The unfortunate part is the size, and it just keeps getting bigger. EDIT: I should also mention we compile llvm static, so you won't see it in the base.sfs.
This is the first time I have started using the AMDGPU Driver - so that change alone I feel is making a noticeable performance difference in 3D graphics / Games. I was able to get almost 100fps in Serious Sam 3, which is great.

I feel that the general consensus on Vulkan is that it's closing the gap between 3D performance in Linux and Windows. However it is still a work in progress and as mentioned, not all gpus support it.

Sage

#118 Post by Sage »

I was able to get almost 100fps in Serious Sam 3
Good news for a savvy individual pushing the boundaries, but deeply worrying for a deliberately compact distro like this? The dog may be fat, but wasn't this originally intended as a reference to 64bit with added functionality. Games are always going to be better on a console. Maybe the dog needs to diet a little...

jake29

#119 Post by jake29 »

Sage wrote:
I was able to get almost 100fps in Serious Sam 3
Good news for a savvy individual pushing the boundaries, but deeply worrying for a deliberately compact distro like this? The dog may be fat, but wasn't this originally intended as a reference to 64bit with added functionality. Games are always going to be better on a console. Maybe the dog needs to diet a little...
With all due respect Sage, I think you are over-reacting. All I have done here is enabled drivers that are for the most part, already included. And I only advocated having Vulkan support as an optional extra for those that can benefit from it.

I do agree that there is always wisdom in stepping back and reflecting on the puppy linux philosophy. The last thing I intended was to encourage bloat.

dr. Dan

wpa-gui & installer

#120 Post by dr. Dan »

I'm still testing on a couple machines, and it is going well so far with my previous savefile and a few minor adjustments. I noticed that the wpa-gui tray icon only has one option left on a right click. I think I will miss the quick access to disconnect, reconnect, and scan. Can they be added back?

I had been running with a small initrd, achieved by use of the installer, but that option was not there in the new version. Did I miss something? I know that the script to split it exists, but that seems like so much more effort that the automation that was there before.

Thanks.

Dan