FireFox requires PulseAudio for sound; how to install?

Using applications, configuring, problems
RickGT351

#61 Post by RickGT351 »

OscarTalks I have tried clicking on the link for http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apulse-0.1.8-i686-wz.pet but the link isn't working

James C

#62 Post by James C »

I believe there are new pets.......

Try this link.....

http://www.smokey01.com/OscarTalks/apul ... 686-wz.pet

OscarTalks

#63 Post by OscarTalks »

Thanks for posting the updated link, JamesC
I have edited the links in my posts on the first page of this thread.
However, people should note that there have been reports of problems with the latest Firefox version(s). See the previous page of this thread. I thought about removing the apulse packages.

The apulse program was only ever a work-around, so people should always experiment (taking precautions) to see what works and what doesn't.

My packages overwrite any pulse libraries so as not to require a wrapper script. This means that any other installed programs that use pulse will also be linking via apulse.

The alternative method is to place the apulse libs in another location and launch via a wrapper script, but this means that the script is then required. One idea is to unpack the apulse libs into the firefox main directory since the executable finds libraries that are there and (I believe) gives them priority.

With latest Firefox though, something else seems to be fundamentaly wrong so work is needed by the apulse author (or the Firefox devs).

Others have provided links to pulseaudio packages. I have some version 2.1 pets that might work in older Puppies. Firefox 54.0.1 with pulseaudio 2.1 worked for me in Wheezy but pulseaudio is a daemon so you have to make provisions to start it with "pulseaudio --start".
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

peebee

Firefox-55.0.3 32bit .sfs for LxPupSc

#64 Post by peebee »

Firefox-55.0.3 32bit .sfs for LxPupSc (may work on other "modern" Pups but untested....)

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 886#963886

p.s. doesn't seem to be a general Firefox thread so posted here because the .sfs includes a sound fix for Puppy / alsa
Last edited by peebee on Sun 27 Aug 2017, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

augras

#65 Post by augras »

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your pet : it works fine for me on tahrpup6.0.6 32bits with portable firefox52ESR download on mozilla web site.
Netflix works also : a great thanks.
Philippe

augras

#66 Post by augras »

Sorry, its an error !
Philippe

i8cee-Sal

old laptop i386

#67 Post by i8cee-Sal »

Installed on my old laptop 32 bits pavucontrol...now i need right pulseaudio 32 bits pet package.
running under tahrpup 6.0.6 ..tested several files but doesn't works.
Thank you in advance.

OscarTalks

#68 Post by OscarTalks »

If you read the earlier posts of this thread you will see that poster watchdog has provided a package of pulseaudio which works in 32bit TahrPup
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 288#947288
Oscar in England

Pelo

Firefox, GTk3 et Pulse audio

#69 Post by Pelo »

Cancelled as Augras already feed back here above
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#70 Post by watchdog »

I do not use firefox and so I ask to firefox's users: does the fix by peebee generally work to get sound working through apulse with latest firefox and without pulseaudio ?

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 886#963886

I would try to copy in /root/.mozilla firefox's profile a file named user.js with the following content:

Code: Select all

// sound fix for alsa through apulse 0.1.10 : 
user_pref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");

artsown

#71 Post by artsown »

@watchdog

I've been using pulseaudio on several (64 bit) pups in my kennel. Since
your suggestion of a user.js file and a apulse pet is simpler and better
in some ways, I decided to experiment. My first experiment is on a
fresh new hard drive frugal of xenialpup64 7.0.8.5

1. Installed firefox 55.0.2 from the repo. This takes care of the requirement
of updated dependencies for recent versions of firefox.
2. Copied the user.js file to /root/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxxx.default
3. Installed Oscar's apulse-0.1.10-x86_64.pet

It works :)

I'll no doubt experiment using fresh frugals of tahr, slacko and Barry's
Quirky xerus 8.3 since this is relatively quick and easy for me to do.

I'll note here that a surprise problem arose using pulseaudio and a
Microsoft LX3000 headset. Couldn't get it to work (but the headset
works fine otherwise as the "sound card"). So this issue is one of the
reasons I'll probably wind up going back to apulse.

More later, I suppose.

Edit: Same procedure and ok result for tahrpup64 6.0.6, but
only using the 4.9.15 kernel. I have no idea why videos "choked" using
the original kernel.

Edit2: Similar procedure and ok result for slackopup64 6.9.9.9
The repo had nothing current or nearly current for firefox so I
downloaded the latest tarball of 55.0.3 and extracted it to /opt
I also had to install dependencies for the later versions of ff.

Edit 3. Chalk up fatdog 710 as another "works ok" with FF 55.0.3

Oscar, why not write new apulse pets that include writing the user.js ?

Art

roadkill13

#72 Post by roadkill13 »

I have XenialPup64 installed to a USB stick. I use it with an HP Pavilion dv6-6b21he laptop. The pulse audio 1.10 64 bit package provided by Oscar Talks does not work. There is no audio with Firefox.

I did notice that the warning that usually appears below the bookmarks bar regarding potential lack of audio due to the absence of pulse audio has disappeared.

In other words the warning dialogue is gone but I still do not have sound with Firefox 55. Any ideas?

EDIT:

Okay I fixed it. I had used watchdog's suggestion for the user.js file and place it in /root/.mozilla with the profile.ini. That did not work. I moved user.js to the subfolder qbh6evhg.default and all is well. Thank you for the *pet package and the suggestion for user.js.

B.K. Johnson

#73 Post by B.K. Johnson »

Another confirmation of what works

I couldn't get online sound with tahr-6.0.6 untilI I installed watchdog's pulseaudio-4.0 pet. I had to junk the puppy for some reason I do not recall. I tried apulse in a new one; suggested as better, but in fact did not work.
So to a virgin tahr-6.-.6, I installed watchdog's again. It is working,
See the link provided by OscarTalks here.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

hamoudoudou

U-Light : Same pet as Firefox solved sound troubles

#74 Post by hamoudoudou »

U-Light default browser for zesty had Audio garbled in You Tube. Same pet as firefox solved troubles. See U-Light topic, category 'Browsers'

stefan21

Slacko64 Puppy 6.9.9.9 - Firefox ESR 52.5.2 (64-bit)

#75 Post by stefan21 »

Installed the o.m. FF version. Results in no sound in FF. Sound in VLC worked. Now, followed the thread ended up in no sound at all.

Here's some information:

▶—— Audio Devices ——◀

Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller [8086:284b] (rev 03)
• Kernel Driver: snd_hda_intel
• Memory Used: 21.48 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/4.9.30/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd-hda-intel.ko
• Description: Intel HDA driver

!!################################
!!ALSA Information Script v 0.4.64
!!################################

!!Script ran on: Sat Dec 9 21:25:53 UTC 2017

!!Linux Distribution
!!------------------

Slacko64 Puppy Linux Linux 4.9.30 [x86_64 arch] NAME=Puppy ID=puppy_slacko64 PRETTY_NAME="Slacko64 Puppy 6.9.9.9" CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:puppy:puppy_linux:6.9.9.9" HOME_URL="http://puppylinux.com/" SUPPORT_URL="http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE"

!!DMI Information
!!---------------

Manufacturer: LENOVO
Product Name: 6468AL2
Product Version: ThinkPad T61
Firmware Version: 7LETB0WW (2.10 )

!!Kernel Information
!!------------------

Kernel release: 4.9.30
Operating System: GNU/Linux
Architecture: x86_64
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz
SMP Enabled: Yes

!!ALSA Version
!!------------

Driver version: k4.9.30
Library version:
Utilities version: 1.1.1

!!Loaded ALSA modules
!!-------------------

snd_hda_intel
snd_pcsp

!!Sound Servers on this system
!!----------------------------

ESound Daemon:
Installed - Yes (/usr/bin/esd)
Running - No

!!Soundcards recognised by ALSA
!!-----------------------------

0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfe020000 irq 32
1 [pcsp ]: PC-Speaker - pcsp
Internal PC-Speaker at port 0x61

!!PCI Soundcards installed in the system
!!--------------------------------------

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

!!Advanced information - PCI Vendor/Device/Subsystem ID's
!!-------------------------------------------------------

00:1b.0 0403: 8086:284b (rev 03)
Subsystem: 17aa:20ac

!!Modprobe options (Sound related)
!!--------------------------------

snd_atiixp_modem: index=-2
snd_intel8x0m: index=-2
snd_via82xx_modem: index=-2
snd_usb_audio: index=-2
snd_usb_caiaq: index=-2
snd_usb_ua101: index=-2
snd_usb_us122l: index=-2
snd_usb_usx2y: index=-2
snd_cmipci: mpu_port=0x330 fm_port=0x388
snd_pcsp: index=-2
snd_usb_audio: index=-2

!!Loaded sound module options
!!---------------------------

Tried to install PM and Chrome - also no sond.

Anybody any hints to get back on track? If more information is needed, no problem.

Best regards,
stefan

OscarTalks

#76 Post by OscarTalks »

Stefan,

Can you confirm which FF you installed and from where?
If you are using the Slackware Firefox ESR (which is probably the best thing to do rather than using the Mozilla one) then I believe it may have been compiled to work with alsa directly. If so then apulse or pulseaudio is not needed and should not be installed as it may actually introduce a problem. This Firefox ESR should be available via the updater in Slacko or alternatively from here:-
https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware ... ck14.2.txz
Oscar in England

stefan21

#77 Post by stefan21 »

Oscar,

thank you for your reply.

FF ESR 52.5.2 (64-bit)

installed from the puppy packetmanager.

What I'm wondering about is that there's also no sound with vlc.

I'll remove this FF version and will re-install the slacko version. I'll let you know about the result.

stefan

stefan21

#78 Post by stefan21 »

As I found no way I ended in re-installing slacko. With the default FF sound is working. My advice - be careful when updating...

Regards,
stefan

kickstart

#79 Post by kickstart »

This could possibly be of use.

I have a ext4 partition on my laptop with several frugal installations of various Puppy versions. Some years ago I installed Firefox by the somewhat unconventional method of downloading the latest region specific version tar.bz2 from the Mozilla ftp site and compiling it in a folder in the same partition as the frugal installations. I also moved the Firefox cache into this folder. This meant that the same firefox installation could be used by all the Puppy installations with the same addons & saved passwords etc. by simply redirecting desktop shortcuts and menu items to the Firefox executable. It also meant that the Firefox installation was on the release channel so updates were made using the standard Firefox update system. On a couple of occasions Firefox has stopped updating after major revisions but I have managed to find workarounds to get it going again. Recently Firefox stopped working completely but installing the 54.2.0 esr version in Slacko 5.5 PAE from the Slackware 14.0 Salix repository in Puppy package manager revived it. I ended up with release channel version 56.0 with an offer to update to 57.0.4, complete with lack of audio!

I have solved the audio problem by downloading apulse-0.1.9-i486-1gv_salix14.0.txz from here: https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.0/salix-i ... 0.txz.html and clicking open in the download dialogue box and then yes in the "Is this a Slackware or Arch package, that you want to install?" box that appeared. To my surprise the .txz installed successfully and Firefox got it's audio back. So there is a simple fix for Slacko 5.5. I haven't tried it in other versions of Slacko but I assume it would work. If you go to https://pkgs.org/download/apulse there are loads of other versions available including a Salix x86_64 version under Slackware 14.0 which I presume would work in 64 bit Slacko.

I haven't tried updating to Firefox 57.0.4 to check out the audio. I am reluctant to do so as I will lose the use of a couple of useful legacy addons due to the new web extensions implementation.

johnphilipsousa

Oscar Pet Not Available

#80 Post by johnphilipsousa »

Hi I am late to this and I want to get Puppy Tahr 64-bit to work with newer Firefox. the OscarTalks apulse pet is not at the location linked to. Can someone post all of the @OscarTalks apulse files please? I want the one for TahrPup 64 but other people will want the others.