How to print to shared Windows XP computer?

Booting, installing, newbie
3nCrypt

How to print to shared Windows XP computer?

#1 Post by 3nCrypt »

Is there any software packaged with Puppy 2.13 (freshly installed to my hard drive I might add) that will allow me to connect to a shared printer on my home network? Or will I have to download CUPS and config it from a browser? The printer is hooked up to a Windows XP machine.

JohnMc

#2 Post by JohnMc »

couple of ways:

1) Use LinNeighborhood and CUPS.
2) Buy a printserver to put the printer on the network proper.
3) Use an old PC and load Samba and CUPS on it then swing the printer over to the Samba/Cups server to act as you 'print server'.

I would caution that if you do a fair amount of graphic printing using the Windoz PC as the print server in a Workgroup like fashion can bring the PC to it's knees till the job stream is done.

barriew

#3 Post by barriew »

For option 1 of JohnMc's reply, try this thread. Its not quite as simple as using LinNeighborhood and CUPS, but this thread worked for me!

Barrie

athorne

shared XP printer

#4 Post by athorne »

Hello guys.

First, I apologize for my ignorance. I am a nubee to both Linux and Puppy. So please be gentle.

I know this has been asked and probably answered many times before, but many of us are still looking for a viable solution.

Let me describe my setup:

I have three computers on my home network. 1. A P-4 Gaming platform with a good graphics card and sound, XP Home, 512M. 2. A P3 with on-board graphics and sound mainly for office work, XP Home, 512M. 3. A dedicated Linux computer, Linspire Five0, 256M. I plan to add another - 4. an IBM ThinkPad P1 running Win98, 64M.

All of this is hooked in a wired network using a Linksys wired router hooked to a cable modem.

As far as the network is concerned, the office computer (#2) is the one with a printer (hp3520), and it is running XP home version. I have shared the printer. The game machine (#1) and the dedicated Linux computer (#3) all use the printer without a problem. Puppy is happy to network access in this setup and can access the other shares and get internet with a very easy setup. I assume it will work find from #4 as well. I have used a boot CD (213) on both #1 and #3 machines. I also tried a HD install to a seconcary 8G drive on #1.

Most people that I know that are wanting to experiment with Linux, will do something similar. They will leave their office machine unchanged and will play on another machine in the network or have a dedicated Linux machine. Eventually we hope to free ourselves from the Windows adiction, but we will take baby steps for now.

The #3 machine using Linspire was incredibly easy to set up to use the printer on the #2 machine. But Puppy on either the #2 or the #3 machine just eludes me as to how to use the shared printer.

I have tried to follow "http://idahopcug.apcug.org/Linux/PuppyLinuxHowTo.pdf"
to set it up, and I guess I am dense or missing something, but I just can't get it to work.

The printer setup in Puppy does not list my actual printer model (hp3520 deskjet).

What is Linspre doing differently? Is there something I can incorporate into Puppy that would give me this easy setup for the shared printer?

I know that I could put the printer on the dedicated Linux machine and my problems would be gone. But I would really prefer to keep the printer in the office and I can't afford to buy and set up a print server.

Besides, Puppy is really something I want to be able to use. I want to use a mult-isession DVD (v109 is the only one I could find) and be able to boot on any of the machines in the network and have all the functionality available to me. If I must, I would be willing to have a 2XX version with dedicated CDs for each machine. That would be acceptable but not a sweet as the multi-session idea.

I also tried the CUPS .3 version (the one that opens a browser window) and I could never get the test page to come out of the printer.

So, how about it guys? Linspire can do it? Can we get Puppy do do it as well?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

barriew

#5 Post by barriew »

athorne

Success!

#6 Post by athorne »

Read the link. As Berry suggested to me, the key was the smbspool file. I downloaded and installed the link as described in his link and then re-ran the cups installer. Did the test page print. Went to my office and let out a whoop! My test page was coming out of the printer!

athorne

multi-session update

#7 Post by athorne »

I just downloaded Barry Kauler's http://www.puppylinux.com/development/h ... works.html and printed it off. I highly recommend this paper for all of us newbee's. It appears that the reason that I couldn't find a newer version of multisession than 109 was because version 2 and above made one iso for both. So if you have any 2xx version, you can multi-session. I also downloaded his http://www.puppylinux.com/multi-puppy.htm which gives a good walkthru for doing multi-session.

Soooo Thanks everbody! I'm all set now.

Aaron