Simplenote doesn't work

Using applications, configuring, problems
koulaxizis

Simplenote doesn't work

#1 Post by koulaxizis »

Helo friends!

I tried to run simplenote (simplenote.com) on several puppies but doesn't work. I tried both deb and tar.gz packages but with no success.

It's the only thing I'm really missing on my puppy installation right now.

Could you help somehow?

Thanks in advance for your time!
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

First, tell us what Puppy version you want it to work on?

Only try to use the deb version to install it.
Puppy can install deb packages by simply left clicking on them.

May need to delete and or uninstall what you did try and start over.

Running Xenialpup64 7.5
I downloaded the deb version, installed, and it started up for me.
Not sure what to do with it.
It starts by asking me to make a login and password.

The program installed to /usr/share/simplenote/simplenote

Try typing simplenote in a console.
Hit enter.
See if any errors pup up.
If yes, what are they?

Not sure if simplenote is 32 bit or 64 bit.
That matters about what bit version of Puppy you use.
Xenialpup64 7.5 is 64 bit, but I have the 32bit compatability sfs loaded, so it supports running 32 bit programs.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

don570

#3 Post by don570 »

Go to the folder where the executable binary is
/usr/share/simplenote/simplenote
and type

Code: Select all

ldd ./simplenote
dependencies that are missing will be noted.

koulaxizis

#4 Post by koulaxizis »

Hey!!

Sorry for the late response. :oops:

I tried the executable on Slacko64 6.3.2 and the DEB file on Tahrpup 6.0.5.

None of those worked. I don't recall the terminal output but it was something like "wrong format".

However, I tried it on XenialPup64 7.5 and worked like a charm!! Thank you very much for your time! <3
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

koulaxizis wrote:Hey!!

I tried the executable on Slacko64 6.3.2 and the DEB file on Tahrpup 6.0.5.
None of those worked. I don't recall the terminal output but it was something like "wrong format".
However, I tried it on XenialPup64 7.5 and worked like a charm!! Thank you very much for your time! <3
As far as a quick search revealed, Simplenote no longer publishes a 32-bit version, if it ever did. The ones you downloaded were 64-bit. As Tahr 6.0.5 is a 32-bit operating system, you received the 'wrong ELF class' notice. Not much you can do about that beyond what you did (run a 64-bit system) or hunt for perhaps an old 32-bit version if one ever existed.

Slacko64-6.3.2 is a different story. Most likely a 'missing library'. Try installing simplenote. Then look for its executable. It's probably in /usr/bin named 'simplenote'. If not, file-browse to /usr/share/applications, open the desktop file in geany and see what follows Exec=. Then run pfind to see where a file with that name is located. Should be in some "bin" folder, e.g. /bin, /usr/bin/. Slacko64 may have 'ldd List Dynamic Dependencies'. Check the System and Utilities Categories on the menu. If you have it, open it to the Simplenote executable and you'll receive a report of what libraries are present and absent. The missing tab at the bottom shows only 'the missing'. Make a note of those.

If you don't have 'ldd List Dynamic Dependencies' installed, you can either install it or find out the old fashioned way. File-browse to the folder where the executable is located. Right-Click and select Window>terminal here. Then type in the terminal, Code: 'ldd NAME OF EXECUTABLE'; obviously without the quotes and using the actual name.

The report will list everything noting which were "Not Found"; unless, of course, the executable wasn't a 'bin' file and simplenote was built on python or some other framework. :(

Puppy Package Manager may be able to find and install any missing libraries. If not, look for them at pkgs.org.

mikesLr

p.s. or don't do anything. XenialPup64 7.5 is a fine OS. :lol: