Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 18 Jul 2018, 10:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Google Earth SFS for Xenialpup/Slacko 560/570/Racy 55
Page 2 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov 2017, 19:45    Post subject:  

Hi, Devonian.

Mm. O-kay. Well, I can describe the steps required to do this, but it won't work for you if you're not running ATI/AMD Radeon graphics. Which I am, y'see.

First step would be helpful to know what Puppy you're running; this will only work in a 64-bit Pup, like Tahr64 or Slacko64.....or Xenialpup64, etc.

Secondly, I would need to know the make & model of your graphics card. Do this for me, would you? Open a terminal (Menu->Utility->Urxvt terminal emulator), and enter the following:-

Code:
lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12

The symbol in the middle is the 'pipe' symbol (found immediately to the left of the 'z' on UK keyboards).....or, you can copy'n'paste this, if you want to. To copy'n'paste in Puppy, left-clk & drag to highlight ('copy'), followed by middle-click (click the scroll wheel) to 'paste'. One of Pup's little peculiarities, this; you'll soon get the hang of it. Once you've pasted it, press 'Enter', then please repeat the process to paste the output into your reply.

You should get something similar to this:-

Code:
# lspci -vnn | grep VGA -A 12
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc RS480 [Radeon Xpress 200G Series] [1002:5954] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
   Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:7141]
   Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
   Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
   I/O ports at ef00 [size=256]
   Memory at fdbf0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
   [virtual] Expansion ROM at fdb00000 [disabled] [size=128K]
   Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
   Kernel driver in use: radeon

It will also tell me what kernel driver is in use; in Linux, all your drivers are contained in the kernel. There is rarely, if ever, any need to 'install' drivers in Linux.....although there's always exceptions to the rule. By and large, the open-source graphics drivers are perfectly adequate for most things. Smile

When we've determined what your card is, we can add the appropriate 'mode-setting' entry to the kernel line.....

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: