Puppy is the greatest

Promote Puppy !
JFB

Puppy is the greatest

#1 Post by JFB »

Forgive me for having nothing to really contribute... But I wanted say, somewhere, that Puppy Linux is great! In my case, It's Tahrpup 6.0.5 that is so great. I've messed around with AntiX, Bohdi, and a few others, looking for a lightweight OS to use on my old 32 bit netbooks, but nothing really seemed to work out until I tried Puppy. As I see the desktop computer world losing its mind (Windows 8 / 10, Gnome 3, Ubuntu Unity, SystemD), I'm glad that I found Puppy... That's it... See you soon... JFB

Edit: I now read this post sober, and I'm kinda embarrassed; but it's still true... :oops:

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

" I now read this post sober, and I'm kinda embarrassed; but it's still true... :oops: "

Can this be a case of Truth is stranger than Diction.

Over 10 years a user myself and I still feel the Doggie love as well.

Cheers matey....Chris.

belham2

Re: Puppy is the greatest

#3 Post by belham2 »

JFB wrote:Forgive me for having nothing to really contribute... But I wanted say, somewhere, that Puppy Linux is great! In my case, It's Tahrpup 6.0.5 that is so great. I've messed around with AntiX, Bohdi, and a few others, looking for a lightweight OS to use on my old 32 bit netbooks, but nothing really seemed to work out until I tried Puppy. As I see the desktop computer world losing its mind (Windows 8 / 10, Gnome 3, Ubuntu Unity, SystemD), I'm glad that I found Puppy... That's it... See you soon... JFB

Edit: I now read this post sober, and I'm kinda embarrassed; but it's still true... :oops:

Lol! :lol:

This post made my day, especially after reading Teddog's harrowing experience in another thread below.

Must be sort of like when a bear, after engorging itself on honey & is sprawled out on its back nearly passed out in a sugar-high eplileptic fit, slowly comes back around, looks at all the bee welts, and still says; darn, it was still worth it :wink: I think it's what puppy is for most of us here. Always worth it.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Unfortunately I will have to burst a few bubbles. I agree that Puppy is a very good allround system, good enough for daily general tasks. However, it seems that Puppy and Linux in general make mostly use of generic drivers. When I installed Windows XP, I had to download system specific audio and video drivers from the manufacturers site. These drivers ultimately renders a far superior audio and video experience. I listen a lot to high quality music and also watch a lot of HD movies. The difference in quality on my Windows machine is very noticeabe compared to Puppy (using the same software, VLC in case of the movies). So, in my case, I tend to use Windows XP most of the time for a superior quality listening and viewing experience.

BTW - I'm still trying to figure out how to disable screen blanking in Tahr 605. Unlike other Puppys, this one refuses to accept anything I've tried so far (and I've tried a lot of things).

version2013

#5 Post by version2013 »

nic007 wrote:Unfortunately I will have to burst a few bubbles. I agree that Puppy is a very good allround system, good enough for daily general tasks. However, it seems that Puppy and Linux in general make mostly use of generic drivers. When I installed Windows XP, I had to download system specific audio and video drivers from the manufacturers site. These drivers ultimately renders a far superior audio and video experience. I listen a lot to high quality music and also watch a lot of HD movies. The difference in quality on my Windows machine is very noticeabe compared to Puppy (using the same software, VLC in case of the movies). So, in my case, I tend to use Windows XP most of the time for a superior quality listening and viewing experience.

BTW - I'm still trying to figure out how to disable screen blanking in Tahr 605. Unlike other Puppys, this one refuses to accept anything I've tried so far (and I've tried a lot of things).
My limited testing appears to successfully disable screen blanking in Tahr 6.0.5
Menu > Desktop > JWMDesk Manager > Screen Save > Disable

s243a

#6 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:Unfortunately I will have to burst a few bubbles. I agree that Puppy is a very good allround system, good enough for daily general tasks. However, it seems that Puppy and Linux in general make mostly use of generic drivers. When I installed Windows XP, I had to download system specific audio and video drivers from the manufacturers site. These drivers ultimately renders a far superior audio and video experience. I listen a lot to high quality music and also watch a lot of HD movies. The difference in quality on my Windows machine is very noticeabe compared to Puppy (using the same software, VLC in case of the movies). So, in my case, I tend to use Windows XP most of the time for a superior quality listening and viewing experience.

Not everyone is an audio-snob so you shouldn't expect your critique (valid or not) to burst everyone's bubble.

p310don

#7 Post by p310don »

I used to have an issue with audio in Puppy vs Windows on the same machine.

I figured out that you need to turn up *all* of the audio controls and it is great.

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

Quite a few manufacturers supply Linux drivers as well as Windows ones.
Finding and installing those will make a difference in most cases.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Sailor Enceladus

#9 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

It sounds to me like nic007 is running some sort of sound filter on Windows. I remember having one called "Chamber" I think, I increased it's effect so much in an experiment that everything was echoing like crazy apparently, then I bought another laptop and forgot about it, then tried that laptop again a few years later, thinking my speakers or sound was broken for a few days because of the tin sounding crazy echo before realizing I added this "effect", probably for the lolz and forgot about doing it.

nic007

#10 Post by nic007 »

Burn_IT wrote:Quite a few manufacturers supply Linux drivers as well as Windows ones.
Finding and installing those will make a difference in most cases.
There are no Linux audio and video specific drivers for my ten year old HP laptop.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

Not sure about audio, but unless this computer has some kind of strange graphics hardware.
I know there are manufactures graphics drivers.
For sure, Nvidia hardware has Linux drivers, made by Nvidia.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#12 Post by nic007 »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:It sounds to me like nic007 is running some sort of sound filter on Windows. I remember having one called "Chamber" I think, I increased it's effect so much in an experiment that everything was echoing like crazy apparently, then I bought another laptop and forgot about it, then tried that laptop again a few years later, thinking my speakers or sound was broken for a few days because of the tin sounding crazy echo before realizing I added this "effect", probably for the lolz and forgot about doing it.
Nope. Probably wrong to blame the operating system, just the availability of windows drivers for the machine specific hardware (which is not available for linux) is probably the difference in my case. BTW -Why is the sound getting lower and lower with every puppy release, really annoying.

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

HP web site is probably not going to have them.
Have to go to a hardware manufactures web site.

Retrovol full window settings are usually preset.
Always need to adjust.
PCM setting has big affect on sound volume.

Right click on tray speaker icon.
Select full window.

I can not guess at the graphics hardware :shock:
So, what is it?????????
Last edited by bigpup on Wed 29 Nov 2017, 13:27, edited 2 times in total.

nic007

#14 Post by nic007 »

Couldn't find linux drivers for my compaq 6720S on HP's website.

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

The compaq 6720S specs I looked at says it is using a Intel graphics.
Kind of stuck with the Linux kernel version of Intel driver.
A Puppy version using one of the newer kernels may give better results.
Xenialpup maybe.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

bigpup wrote:HP web site is probably not going to have them.
Have to go to a hardware manufactures web site.

Retrovol full window settings are usually preset.
Always need to adjust.
PCM setting has big affect on sound volume.

Right click on tray speaker icon.
Select full window.

I can not guess at the graphics hardware :shock:
So, what is it?????????
Got nothing to do with the volume settings, mine is almost at full blast on PCM and Master. It's a quality/fidelity issue. Having said that, the sound volume in Windows can go much higher than in Puppy. In Tahr the volume is really low even at the highest volume settings.

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

Best to have PCM maxed out.

Could see if in Retrovol config window
volume scaling
Changing this helps any.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:Best to have PCM maxed out.

volume scaling
Changing this helps any.
^^^ Agreed.

'Logarithmic' gives way better results than 'linear'. I figured that one out years ago..... Mind you, having a powered speaker system with its own amp and sub-woofer helps enormously, too.

Mike. :wink:

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

Mike Walsh wrote:
bigpup wrote:Best to have PCM maxed out.

volume scaling
Changing this helps any.
^^^ Agreed.

'Logarithmic' gives way better results than 'linear'. I figured that one out years ago..... Mind you, having a powered speaker system with its own amp and sub-woofer helps enormously, too.

Mike. :wink:
Looks like you have some quality sound equipment there. What you need to do is, is to play your music on a windows machine running the same software (eg. VLC) and you will hear what I'm talking about; better sound production/quality/fidelity overall using windows.

nic007

#20 Post by nic007 »

version2013 wrote:

My limited testing appears to successfully disable screen blanking in Tahr 6.0.5
Menu > Desktop > JWMDesk Manager > Screen Save > Disable
Thanks that tool worked. I was not aware of it as I normally use older puppys.