Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Jan 2018, 18:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Many questions about using Puppy.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 13:41    Post subject:  

Hi fishkrond,

I think part of the problem you are having is your use of Puppy's Universal Installer. I think what's happening is that when you use it, it overwrites your previous boot-manager and boot-menu. It may also be installing its "current" Puppy to the partition where you had your previous Puppy. Either way, the result is you keep loosing your previous work.

So, I'm going to suggest that you DO USE THE package rufwoof provided and DISCONTINUE USING ANY PUPPY'S UNIVERSAL INSTALLER. Universal Installers are only necessary if you don't have a running Puppy. From a running Puppy, there's an easier, safer, way to do a Frugal Install.

However, before doing that, boot into Wary on your USB-Key and confirm that you can access the internet under it. Rufwoof's menu.lst was setup to boot wary and I'd rather suggest as few changes as possible. Especially since I've discovered, having downloaded Puppy 4.2, that trying to use it would cause additional complications. But I also downloaded and setup wary. I only have wifi, and wary didn't include drivers which recognized my adapter.

One other thing you can do in the meantime. Download rufwoof package to somewhere you can find it --perhaps XP's Download folder. Any Puppy can browse into Windows and copy files stored there. Then unzip it. Don't do anything else while in XP.

Let us know.

mikesLr
theru

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 20:08    Post subject:  

Lots of good advice here. If you don't mind I have just tested another method that uses a windows program to install puppy. No files are renamed and the mbr remains untouched.

I tested this with windows xp in virtualbox.

First I downloaded lick from here:

https://github.com/noryb009/lick/releases/tag/v1.2

Once downloaded I unpacked it and ran the gui version (lick-fltk).

Depending on where you want to install puppy it may or may not offer what you want. Because Windows by default doesn't see linux partitions you will only be offered the windows partition and the storage partition. Please bear with me for now as the puppy files can still be moved later on.

Let's select the storage partition.

At the top of the window you'll see a space where you can drop a puppy iso of your choosing. When you do that a name and id will be suggested which you are free to change. The installation will start when you press the install button.

A new folder will be created at the partition you chose and the necessary folders copied to that folder. It will also add a new bootloader (as far as I can see this involves the addition of 2 files to the windows partition, pupldr which is the bootloader and lickmenu.lst which is basically a text file telling the bootloader what can be loaded and where it can be found) and a new entry will be added to the windows bootloader. This allows you to choose between windows and puppy at boot.

If you prefer puppy to be completely on the linux partition this is still possible. You just boot from the pendrive and move the puppy folder created by lick to the linux partition. At boot all partitions are checked for that folder so as long as the folder isn't renamed or put in another folder it will be found at boot.
fiskrond

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov 2017, 00:10    Post subject: WHOOP!.. or should that be "WHOOOF!!!"
Subject description: result..

Y'know what....
I've only gone and done an' got it!

Cool

Am now running Slacko on Frank1 (of the 7>9 Frankenstein orphans in my cave)
.. I overcame previous installation issues by getting somewhat 'ruined' (hic & cough)... and thus not overthinking it....

for the life of me I can't figure out why I couldn't figure this out when I was stone cold sober...

...and I like what I have found!

Laughing
Page 3 of 3 [33 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: