Dpup Stretch 7.5 CE (RC-5)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dejan555

#41 Post by dejan555 »

Ooo, a new Dpup! :D
I will try this out as soon as I have some free time.
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

dancytron

#42 Post by dancytron »

Just installed this for a quick look.

Looks good.

Internet did not autoconnect, but Simple Network fixed that immediately.

My sometimes troublesome Intel G30 graphics were recognized and glxgears worked. I did get a dialog box before X loaded asking me if I wanted to do something about graphics, but I chose the default (i.e. do nothing) and it worked fine.

Palemoon was fast and smooth (faster than Chrome on Debian Dog).

Keep up the good work. It will be nice to have Stretch as an official Puppy.

Sailor Enceladus

jwm menu freezes the desktop bug

#43 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:Might experiment with compiling more commits around this timeframe (906-961) first to see if still ok before border removing.
My understanding now from compiling and testing a bunch of jwm snapshots is that 905 works and 1101 can freeze, and that the bug seems to have came into being between snapshot 1082 and 1092, and that replacing traybutton.c in 1092 with the one from 1082 (before tray button actions and clock actions were combined to actions.c) seems to fix jwm1092 too.

edit: Think I managed to fix it by restoring "active" behavior to the way it was in 1082. Now to try this in latest jwm

Code: Select all

diff -ru jwm-1092a/src/action.c jwm-1092b/src/action.c
--- jwm-1092a/src/action.c	2015-04-21 21:02:04.000000000 -0400
+++ jwm-1092b/src/action.c	2017-11-23 09:22:07.283853839 -0500
@@ -84,7 +84,7 @@
                GrabMouse(cp->tray->window);
                cp->grabbed = 1;
                if(cp->Redraw) {
-                  (cp->Redraw)(cp);
+                  (cp->Redraw)(cp,1);
                   UpdateSpecificTray(cp->tray, cp);
                }
                return;
@@ -120,15 +120,13 @@
       }
    }

-   cp->grabbed = 1;
    if(cp->Redraw) {
-      (cp->Redraw)(cp);
+      (cp->Redraw)(cp,1);
    }
    ShowRootMenu(menu, x, y);
-   cp->grabbed = 0;
    if(cp->Redraw) {
-      (cp->Redraw)(cp);
+      (cp->Redraw)(cp,0);
    }
 }
@@ -141,9 +139,8 @@
    const ActionType *ap;
    const int mask = 1 << button;

-   cp->grabbed = 0;
    if(cp->Redraw) {
-      (cp->Redraw)(cp);
+      (cp->Redraw)(cp,0);
    }

diff -ru jwm-1092a/src/traybutton.c jwm-1092b/src/traybutton.c
--- jwm-1092a/src/traybutton.c	2015-04-21 21:02:04.000000000 -0400
+++ jwm-1092b/src/traybutton.c	2017-11-23 09:08:41.761551061 -0500
@@ -52,7 +52,7 @@
 static void Destroy(TrayComponentType *cp);
 static void SetSize(TrayComponentType *cp, int width, int height);
 static void Resize(TrayComponentType *cp);
-static void Draw(TrayComponentType *cp);
+static void Draw(TrayComponentType *cp, int active);

static void ProcessButtonPress(TrayComponentType *cp,
                                int x, int y, int button);
@@ -233,7 +233,7 @@
 {
    cp->pixmap = JXCreatePixmap(display, rootWindow,
                                cp->width, cp->height, rootVisual.depth);
-   Draw(cp);
+   Draw(cp,0);
 }

/** Resize a button tray component. */
@@ -252,7 +252,7 @@
 }

/** Draw a tray button. */
-void Draw(TrayComponentType *cp)
+void Draw(TrayComponentType *cp, int active)
 {

ButtonNode button;
@@ -262,7 +262,7 @@

ClearTrayDrawable(cp);
    ResetButton(&button, cp->pixmap, &rootVisual);
-   if(cp->grabbed) {
+   if(active) {
       button.type = BUTTON_TRAY_ACTIVE;
    } else {
       button.type = BUTTON_TRAY;
diff -ru jwm-1092a/src/tray.h jwm-1092b/src/tray.h
--- jwm-1092a/src/tray.h	2015-04-21 21:02:04.000000000 -0400
+++ jwm-1092b/src/tray.h	2017-11-23 09:25:06.532882763 -0500
@@ -115,7 +115,7 @@
    /** Callback to redraw the component contents.
     * This is only needed for components that use actions.
     */
-   void (*Redraw)(struct TrayComponentType *cp);
+   void (*Redraw)(struct TrayComponentType *cp, int active);

/** The next component in the tray. */
    struct TrayComponentType *next;
Maybe changing cp->grabbed in one or some of those places screwed up HandleTrayButtonRelease in tray.c occasionally.

edit2: Found another way that fixes the ~1087+ jwm problem using less code I think:

--- jwm-1092a/src/action.c	2015-04-21 21:02:04.000000000 -0400
+++ jwm-1092c/src/action.c	2017-11-23 11:21:22.121759421 -0500
@@ -72,6 +72,7 @@
    const int mask = 1 << button;
    int mwidth, mheight;
    int menu;
+   int realgrab;

menu = -1;
    for(ap = actions; ap; ap = ap->next) {
@@ -120,15 +121,18 @@
       }
    }

+   realgrab = cp->grabbed;
    cp->grabbed = 1;
    if(cp->Redraw) {
       (cp->Redraw)(cp);
+      cp->grabbed = realgrab;
    }
    ShowRootMenu(menu, x, y);
    cp->grabbed = 0;
    if(cp->Redraw) {
       (cp->Redraw)(cp);
+      cp->grabbed = realgrab;
    }
 }

rerwin

#44 Post by rerwin »

Radky,
Thank you for taking on this distro. Since I consider that I "own" the connectwizard (only because I was that last person to change it significantly), I am concerned about the report of the ethernet connection not being established at first bootup. That leads me to a related concern.

The initial-connect problem is the result of the /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect script being preset to 'sns'. Usually, the initial default is the connectwizard itself. Then the ethernet is connected at bootup. With sns as the initial default, sns needs a connection record that it created when the user set up the connection. But none exists during initial bootup, so nothing happens.

However, I see no way to get to the connectwizard, to change the default! In older puppies, right-clicking on the "connect" icon displays a menu that includes "Execute the Internet Connection Wizard". But the tool-bar connect icon does not appear to produce that menu. So, how does one change the connection manager, if we cannot get to the connect wizard to select it?
Richard

radky

#45 Post by radky »

Terry H wrote:
New install on laptop with Intel i3 -5005U and Intel 7265D wifi card using fdrv for wifi card firmware. As with desktop PC all is working very well.
Thanks Terry.

mavrothal wrote:
If merge2out is run from the cloned woof-CE git will have the current branch, commit hash and date.
The build is now adjusted. Thanks.

James C wrote:
Quick manual frugal install. Sound and display correct on initial boot,had to use SNS for wired internet. Installed 4 or 5 things,all good.
Thanks James. Now that your summer vacation is over, we hope to see you more often. :)

peebee wrote:
Send me a PM if you think we should try and get the dpup-stretch repo uploaded to ibiblio....
The dpup-stretch packages are still in evolution. Maybe a bit later... Thanks!

peebee wrote:
[bit later] another oddity is that some packages (abiword and gnumeric for example) do not appear in the list of built-in packages.... /root/.packages/woof-installed-packages
Now corrected.

Billtoo wrote:
Pretty sure radky will update the kernel for the next beta.
Will do!

dejan555 wrote:
Ooo, a new Dpup!
Looking forward to your report dejan555.

PS - Your vintage dpup is still popular today. Any suggestions you may have for this release are certainly welcome.

dancytron wrote;
Just installed this for a quick look.
Thanks dancytron. A quick look is fine with me.

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
Think I managed to fix it (JWM freeze) by restoring "active" behavior to the way it was in 1082. Now to try this in latest jwm.
Sailor, this is great! If successful, maybe the patch could be submitted (or suggested) to Joe at JWM headquarters.

rerwin wrote:
The initial-connect problem is the result of the /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect script being preset to 'sns'
Thanks rerwin, I'll set /usr/local/bin/defaultconnect to connectwizard in the next release.
However, I see no way to get to the connectwizard.
To lessen the application load in the menu, several apps are now available in PupControl or JWMdesk.

From the desktop, you can access the connectwizard as follows:

1 - PupControl -> Network tab -> Network Wizard
2 - JWMdesk -> Puppy Setup -> Internet
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

musher0

#46 Post by musher0 »

@radky:

If you'd kindly look at why your ListDD utility takes over with some hybrid executables
in this DPupStretch.

Thanks.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

radky

#47 Post by radky »

@musher0,

By default, most of the debian binaries in /usr/bin are configured as file-type DYN (shared object files) rather than file-type EXEC (Executable files). For example (after loading devx), readelf -h /usr/bin/evince will show file-type=DYN, but readelf -h /usr/bin/abiword will show file-type=EXEC.

When the ListDD utility is installed, the ROX-Filer application_x-sharedlib MIME-type is set to ListDD. So, left-clicking a shared object file (DYN) in /usr/bin or /usr/lib will open that file in ListDD.

Before the next Dpup release, it may be a good idea to convert common DYN binaries in /usr/bin to the EXEC format. In this scenario, the selected binaries will launch in the conventional sense when left-clicked. However, one could still right-click the files to selectively load them in the ListDD utility.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

666philb

#48 Post by 666philb »

hi radky,

nice puppy!! and i struggled to find any issues with it :)

i noticed you have both gnome mplayer and mpv installed. there is a gui for mpv called "gnome-mpv" if you go with mpv.

a few things i missed were the right click option to make a .pet & samba.

here's samba to test
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oW2w4 ... LR4Cs15KbM

good work!
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

davids45

Stretch - 18Nov; 32-bit, kernel 4.9.62

#49 Post by davids45 »

G'day radky,

I have made a frugal of the Stretch from 18November and after loading in my applications and normal bits and pieces, it all works, including printing (pinboard shot).

However....
.. when I want to open a file in an application, I'm presented with a poorly set-out dialog box. The left-hand 'Places' panel is cluttered with 'places' that are unwanted (e.g. lots of unmounted partitions) so the few places I'd want to regularly access (my data partitions) get pushed off the panel - well, down to the bottom of the list so off-screen.

How do I edit/remove all these 'Places' from the list/panel so there are only the places I want to use?

In comparison, this is not a problem in recent Xenial Pups - I've tried to show the difference in the attached screenshots when opening a file in Gimp in both Pups.

Thanks for any help in fixing this small problem I have with your excellent Pup.

David S.
Attachments
stretch-desktop.jpg
StretchPup for 18Nov - after adding my usual packages which all run as normal from pinboard icons
(148.18 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times
OpenFile-bad-stretch.jpg
The Stretch 'Open File' 'Places' panel default has too many Places, hardly any of any use
(137.49 KiB) Downloaded 1155 times
Openfile-desired-xenial.jpg
Xenialpup 'Open File' has only my wanted places - that I dragged onto the empty Places panel
(98.98 KiB) Downloaded 1164 times
Last edited by davids45 on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

don570

#50 Post by don570 »

Never saw that problem before :roll:
As an experiment I would use the filemanager to go to /mnt
and delete all the folders there that weren't being used.
Then reboot with a save file.

davids45

Over-full 'Open File' 'Places' in Stretch

#51 Post by davids45 »

G'day don570,

Thanks for your suggestion which (hoping I understood your idea) I have tried.

The /mnt directory I see in Rox (screenshot) does not match the excessive list of Places in the Open File process in StretchPup.
Again in StretchPup this morning, I tried two different programs (screenshots) where I am offered 'Open File' and both came up with the annoying Places panel.
I don't know what the "+-" does at the foot of the panel but it won't remove unwanted Places entries.

If I only had a couple of partitions on the computer, I think this 'Places' wouldn't be this problem, but I've two hard-drives maximised with partitions, so too many 'Places' for 'Open File' to handle sensibly.

Thanks again for your input,

David S.
Attachments
Rox-list-mnt-directory.jpg
Rox listing of the /mnt directory - does not show every partition on the computer unlike the 'Places' panel
(53.37 KiB) Downloaded 1039 times
avidemux-open-file.jpg
trying 'Open file' in avidemux
(122.63 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
gimp-open-file.jpg
trying 'Open file' in Gimp
(130.01 KiB) Downloaded 1036 times
Last edited by davids45 on Sun 26 Nov 2017, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#52 Post by rufwoof »

In pcmanfm depending upon the options (EDIT, PREFERENCES, LAYOUT) set, you can have loads in the side panel (trash, places, network etc. type things). Or they might be bookmarks that somehow got loaded and a right click of each and 'Delete Bookmark' (or something like that, will eliminate them from the panel. Other similar file managers typically have a similar setting/option to control what is displayed in the side panel.

Please could you edit the description in the first image of this post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 232#975232 (and maybe also another earlier image description) to be shorter, because as-is it widens the whole page of posts out due to the long length of that comment/description ... making it a little uncomfortable to read the posts for those of us not using a wide physical screen. Thx.

davids45

Stretch 'Open file' Places Problem

#53 Post by davids45 »

G'day rufwoof,

Thanks for the suggestion on how to fix my problem with 'Open file' in Stretch Pups. I'll see if I can now get a better 'Open file' set-up.

And I've shortened my image comments to fit better into the browser/monitor windows.

David S.

davids45

pcmanfm in Stretch my problem?

#54 Post by davids45 »

G'day rufwoof,

I tried your suggestions in pcmanfm and could remove everything in the Places panel......... except all the partitions on the computer - which are the cause of the problem I have. There didn't seem to be anywhere to de-select these (screenshots)??

So with nothing highlighted in the Places display, I still get all those unwanted partitions!

The Bookmarks suggestion did not do anything as far as I could test it.

I checked in XenialPup - which doesn't have this problem when opening a file - and Xenial doesn't have pcmanfm so is using Rox??

I have Rox set as my default file-manager in Stretch but this hasn't stopped Stretch's 'Open file' problem which does now seem to be something in pcmanfm.

Deleting pcmanfm looks to be my next step? I hope then Rox will be OK if it is how XenialPups, etc. work without this problem

Thanks for your advice.

David S.
Attachments
pcmanfm-terminal-warning.jpg
trying pcmanfm in a terminal in StretchPup
(30.06 KiB) Downloaded 898 times
pcmanfm-prefs.jpg
Layout preferences set to nothing in Places?
(36.04 KiB) Downloaded 894 times
result-still-all-partitions-in-panel.jpg
(51.09 KiB) Downloaded 891 times

rufwoof

#55 Post by rufwoof »

Also have a look under pcmanfm's Volume Management configuration option. I would suspect that if its managing volumes then by default it would show the partitions in order that they might be mounted or unmounted.

My OpenBSD pcmanfm side panel is empty other than the bookmarks I set (or if I have it set to tree mode) ... but I don't have volume management running (I run as a user and not root where user doesn't have authority to mount partitions and I don't run X as root (even though under OpenBSD X is set to run at a limited user level) ).

pemasu

#56 Post by pemasu »

davids45. If you dont want drives to be shown, why dont you disable pup-volume-monitor which is the "listening" or "displaying" process behind the whole thing. At least I think so.

https://github.com/01micko/pup-volume-monitor

"It is this kind of software responsible for displaying drives in file managers
and file open/save dialogs in many linux distributions."

cat /root/.packages/builtin_files/pup-volume-monitor
So simply just disable the /etc/init.d/start-pup-volume-monitor file and the pup-volume-monitor should not be launched at bootup.

chmod 644 /etc/init.d/start-pup-volume-monitor
Or remove the whole package if you want. Or just stop the process on the fly:

killall pup-volume-monitor

davids45

'Open file' Places clutter problem [SOLVED]

#57 Post by davids45 »

G'day rufwoof and pemasu,

Thanks for your suggestions to fix my problem with 'Open files' in Stretch Pups.

I first stopped the Volume Management options in pcmanfs but still got all the unwanted partitions listed in the 'Open file' dialog (first two screenshots).

I then disaabled the starting/auto-run of pup-volume-monitor in /etc/init.d (changed its permission to non-executable) and after a re-boot, no clutter of partitions in Places! :D

So it's pup-volume-monitor causing the clutter problem not pcmanfm.

I shouldn't complain now having this problem in Stretch fixed :oops: but, being of a tidy mind :wink: , I would like to also remove the strange 'Places' still listed that I don't see as likely for me ever wanting to open a file in - 'sys', 'proc' 'pts' and 'floppy'.
'floppy'! :shock: - it's been years since I've had a computer with a floppy drive.

Anyway, thanks for help in tidying up my Stretch Pups.

David S.
Attachments
pcmanfs-volume-off1.jpg
stopped Volume Management option inpcmanfs
(49.95 KiB) Downloaded 732 times
stretch-vol-off-result1.jpg
result with pcmanfs Vol options off - still clutter in Places
(89.56 KiB) Downloaded 743 times
disable-pup-vol-monitor1.jpg
changed init.d permission for pup-volume-monitor
(48.39 KiB) Downloaded 752 times
stretch-pupvolmon-off1.jpg
Places now usable - but what about floppy, sys, pts, proc?
(57.58 KiB) Downloaded 731 times

futwerk

#58 Post by futwerk »

a few backgrounds.
Attachments
dpup2.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4v77bi1p58ox
(26.99 KiB) Downloaded 606 times
dpup1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4v77bi1p58ox
(24.09 KiB) Downloaded 612 times

pemasu

#59 Post by pemasu »

davids45. Gtkfilechooser shows content of /etc/fstab file. I dont know if it is a feature of glib version in stretch. Somebody with debian stretch should check what gtkfilechooser shows in real debian stretch. It might be that some option in fstab file could hide the content, but this is shooting in to the dark.

Also some udev rule might hide also. But again, no real wisdom about that.

Also some patch in glib source might also help. Dpup stretch is using unpatched original glib version due to pup-volume-monitor conflict with patched debian glib version. I even tried and swapped the glib with debian glib version ( first I manually removed the old content ) but it didnt make any difference. But dont try that with running distro. You wont get working graphic environment if you do that on the fly.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 003#951003
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 238#951238

pemasu

#60 Post by pemasu »

/root/.packages/DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS

yes|glib|libglib2.0-bin,libglib2.0-0,libglib2.0-data,libglib2.0-dev|exe>null,dev>null,doc>null,nls>null #theres glib 2.50.3 pet pkg
yes|zzz_glib||exe,dev,doc>null,nls>null #pet

I suppose it was not intentional to include both glib packages to the build. Fortunately the latter is processed later to the build.