google earth on tahr64 (solved, thanks

Using applications, configuring, problems
number77

google earth on tahr64 (solved, thanks

#1 Post by number77 »

Hello
I have tahr64 605 on a dell vostro 1320, 2.2ghz,2gb ram and am trying to get ge working. I downloaded ge Pro-7.3.0.3830-tahr-amd64.sfs. GE does work but has the small square in rhs corner problem. I did read it was caused by the intel driver I am using but how would I go about changing this and would it effect normal operation.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
number77
Last edited by number77 on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

Which Intel graphics do you have?

I know that mine (Intel G30) will not run Google Earth in Linux. It will run it in Windows XP, but only in Direct X mode.

edit: okay, ignore the above. I googled your laptop and it has nvidia graphics.

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/vostro-1320/pd

Someone will come along to help with Nvidia driver, which might help.

For reference, it has

Graphics Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/d ... 729/specs/

number77

#3 Post by number77 »

dancytron wrote:Which Intel graphics do you have?

I know that mine (Intel G30) will not run Google Earth in Linux. It will run it in Windows XP, but only in Direct X mode.

edit: okay, ignore the above. I googled your laptop and it has nvidia graphics.

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/vostro-1320/pd

Someone will come along to help with Nvidia driver, which might help.

For reference, it has

Graphics Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/d ... 729/specs/
Dont think it is nvidia, sysinfo says
Xorg Startup Log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
• Xorg Driver in use: intel
• Loaded Modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse synaptics
• X.Org version: 1.15.1

OpenGL 2D/3D Rendering:
• Direct Rendering: Yes
• Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
• Renderer: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2
• Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3

VGA controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 07)
• Kernel Driver: i915
• Memory Used: 480.31 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/3.14.56/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
• Description: Intel Graphics
But it does work in xp

number77

#4 Post by number77 »

Should answer your question,
Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

theru

#5 Post by theru »

This seems to be a laptop with dual graphics: integrated (intel) and discrete (nvidia).

The command lspci | grep VGA should give more info

dancytron

#6 Post by dancytron »

On mine, if you have an external graphics card (I used to have one), you can choose in the bios setup whether to use the built in Intel G30 graphics or the external graphics card. You might take a peak at your bios settings and see if the is an Nvidia card that is not turned on hiding in there.

foxpup

Optimus

#7 Post by foxpup »

If it is a machine with 2 graphic cards (integrated intel and discrete nvidia), you would need Optimus support. I am interested in that too.
But it is still in dev for linux, so I am not sure one can make it work on Puppy and you will have to search around for the latest development. On some major distros it works ootb, or almost. I am sure you wil not have it on Tahr: you need at least Xorg 1.19 and kernel 4.5.

Another way to go is just trying to install the nvidia driver and using the nvidia card only. I did not try it myself and I do not know if it is straightforward. You could try that in Tahr also, I guess. That is probably the first thing I will try myself.

number77

#8 Post by number77 »

theru wrote:This seems to be a laptop with dual graphics: integrated (intel) and discrete (nvidia).

The command lspci | grep VGA should give more info
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
I get this for lspci for vga. Do you think from this it has a nvidia graphics or just intel. If so would there be any point in trying nvidia driver.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

@number77:-

Forget Google Pro. It's a pain in the ass to get working; Google never really gave this version proper Linux support. Unless, of course, you really want the few additional features in the 'Pro' version.....

You'd be better off running Phil's original 'patched' Google Earth 'Free' (which I had to modify a wee bit to repair the broken ld-lsb.so.3 sym-link). It now runs fine in Tahr64. You can get it here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5eov0mp7p ... atched.sfs

Mike. :wink:

number77

#10 Post by number77 »

Mike Walsh wrote:@number77:-

Forget Google Pro. It's a pain in the ass to get working; Google never really gave this version proper Linux support. Unless, of course, you really want the few additional features in the 'Pro' version.....

You'd be better off running Phil's original 'patched' Google Earth 'Free' (which I had to modify a wee bit to repair the broken ld-lsb.so.3 sym-link). It now runs fine in Tahr64. You can get it here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5eov0mp7p ... atched.sfs

Thanks Mike, I don't need pro at all so will try your suggestion.

number77

#11 Post by number77 »

Mike your brilliant, that works perfectly on tahr.
Thank you and all for helping.
All the best
number77

number77

#12 Post by number77 »

Slight problem, it doesn't appear anywhere in the menu, it ran at first but where is it.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, number77.

There should be a sym-link in /usr/bin. Either that, or look in /usr/share/applications; there should be a desktop entry.

Since this is an SFS, you might need to re-start 'X' in order for it to show. You shouldn't have to, but I've found there seems to be a number of non-standard actions built-in to Tahr64. Things just need doing slightly differently.

After re-starting 'X', it should show in Menu->Internet. If you want a desktop icon, drag the .desktop entry from /usr/share/applications onto the desktop. You might need to 'refresh' ROX to get it to show. You might even need to run 'fixmenus' in the terminal first.

Let us know if that works; there's no reason why it shouldn't.

number77

#14 Post by number77 »

I think the problem came from my attempt to run pro. When I removed all traces and re downloaded your patched file it works beautifully on 64 bit tahr. I didn't get it to work on 32 bit, it loaded but nothing happened. I have 32 and 64 on the laptop so that is no problem but I could get rid or 32bit altogether, would that cause any problems?

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, number 77.

Entirely your decision whether or not you run 32 or 64-bit.....or both.

I put together a few different 32-bit versions for the Slackos, Xenialpup, and for anyone who had used battleshooter's 'glibc upgrade' to modernise Racy.....depending on the age of the hardware, the system's capabilities, and above all else, the glibc in use. Some are 6-series, some are 7-series.....but all have 'Street View'. That was one thing I did want myself.

Have a look here, if you're interested:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111081

number77

#16 Post by number77 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi again, number 77.

Entirely your decision whether or not you run 32 or 64-bit.....or both.

I put together a few different 32-bit versions for the Slackos, Xenialpup, and for anyone who had used battleshooter's 'glibc upgrade' to modernise Racy.....depending on the age of the hardware, the system's capabilities, and above all else, the glibc in use. Some are 6-series, some are 7-series.....but all have 'Street View'. That was one thing I did want myself.

Have a look here, if you're interested:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111081

Thanks Mike, too complicated for me, I will run 32 and 64 bit.