ArtfulPup (& Upup-Bionic-Beaver-RC)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
hamoudoudou

everybody is gone away ????

#361 Post by hamoudoudou »

everybody is gone away ???
Problems with libavcodec (56 and apps from PPM needs 57) Parole was the app concerned
Solution is to run versions from Precise, Even From Lucid (audacity)
Browser Light 49 no crash until now. Audio and Video playing Well you tube
Archpup Promoted by el tropicalissimo ambassador Nilson Morales and s-kami from Hungarian Puppy team on their local forum for people speaking magyar. A Puppy version can be ignored by USA citizens and in the charts of barbarians countries.
Apps :
Gnee could make a come-back.. People failed in the past, but Ten Years After, they are now more powerful.
What is Gnee ? a terrific machine
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.

Robert123

Re: everybody is gone away ????

#362 Post by Robert123 »

hamoudoudou wrote:everybody is gone away ???
Well Pelo you kind of have that effect on people.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

peebee

Re: everybody is gone away ????

#363 Post by peebee »

hamoudoudou wrote:Problems with libavcodec (56 and apps from PPM needs 57)
Silence is golden :D .....

At last - a sensible comment that deserves a reply.....

ArtfulPup has an older ffmpeg compile (ffmpeg-2.8.13) in order for a test .flac file from 666philb to play properly.....

So there is a conundrum - ship an up-to-date version (ffmpeg-3.x) to be compatible with Ubuntu repositories but have problems with .flac files

or

the current situation - ship an old version....

What I will do is make the newer version available from PPM so that it can be installed if needed for compatibility with Ubuntu packages

If anybody knows how to make our petbuild of ffmpeg-3.x play .flac files then please shout :wink:
Last edited by peebee on Thu 23 Nov 2017, 09:12, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mavrothal

#364 Post by mavrothal »

Using this option calling ffmpeg to play older flac files might help.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#365 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:Using this option calling ffmpeg to play older flac files might help.
Interestingly.....

On LxPupSc with ffmpeg-3.3.2

if I open the test .flac with pMusic then it does not play correctly

but

if I open it with gnome-mplayer it does play correctly

So may be a pMusic problem....??

I'll report it on the pMusic thread.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#366 Post by peebee »

ffmpeg-3.2.2 .pet
should now be available via PPM from repo puppy-artful
if you do a PPM database update

Please test it with apps requiring libavcodec-57 from the Ubuntu repos.....

hamoudoudou

bookmarked

#367 Post by hamoudoudou »

bookmarked
I tried Parole just to see because Parole was in the PPM, i will try with another one, and feedback here.
Gnome-Mplayer allows people playing all supports, only DVD to verify.

backi

#368 Post by backi »

Hi !
Smplayer/Smtube not able to to retrive Yotube Pages.......while Tahrpup or Deb-Dogs using same Apps do.......what is missing in Artful ??
Can anybody test/confirm ??

Thanks in Advance !

mavrothal

#369 Post by mavrothal »

Smtube works fine if you install it properly.
I wonder though what was installed and how as PPM installation fails because the pmv-20150814-git-i686-precise (!) dependency is missing.
Is actually not required (the ubuntu pmv is fine) but somehow it sneaked in the puppy-artful-official packages and blocks PPM installation

Bottom line:
till the ibiblio file is updated, delete the pmv-20150814-git-i686-precise entry from /root/.packages/Packages-puppy-artful-official.
Open PPM and install smtube and dependencies.
Run smtube and click the log button of smplayer if it complains.
Install the libraries that it says is missing through PPM (in my case libva-*-1.8.3-2)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

backi

#370 Post by backi »

Thanks mavrothal !

peebee

#371 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:till the ibiblio file is updated, delete the pmv-20150814-git-i686-precise entry from /root/.packages/Packages-puppy-artful-official.
Thanks @mav
ibiblio is updated...
mpv-20150814-git-i686-precise is deleted in Packages-puppy-artful-official

Still in Packages-puppy-xenial-official though....

666philb

#372 Post by 666philb »

peebee wrote:
mavrothal wrote:till the ibiblio file is updated, delete the pmv-20150814-git-i686-precise entry from /root/.packages/Packages-puppy-artful-official.
Thanks @mav
ibiblio is updated...
mpv-20150814-git-i686-precise is deleted in Packages-puppy-artful-official

Still in Packages-puppy-xenial-official though....
removed from Packages-puppy-xenial-official :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

01101001b

Lost icons and trouble to mount units

#373 Post by 01101001b »

Today I installed LxArtfulPup and it works great. Thanks! However, some things caught my atention:

- Why do I see warnings (fuser related) when modifying fstab to mount a ntfs partition? Is there a new way to mount units I don't know? Because first, fstab is empty and second, if I add the partition and reload, I see it twice (in pcmanfm for instance -but with different icons-) but if I don't, it's not mounted (on reload).

- Why does Puppy Package Manager show no icons now in results hits when searching?

- This one is minor, but in Notecase Notes Manager, icons for "save" and "save as" are not shown.

Any pointer apreciated and if it comes I post this misplaced, I apologize. Thanks!

01101001b

Re: Lost icons and trouble to mount units

#374 Post by 01101001b »

01101001b wrote:Is there a new way to mount units I don't know? Because first, fstab is empty and second, if I add the partition and reload, I see it twice but if I don't, it's not mounted (on reload).
*COUGH, COUGH*pMount*COUGH!* (I found it via PupControl Panel <- great app)

I'm such a moron :-/ Sorry, my bad.

peebee

#375 Post by peebee »

01101001b wrote: - Why does Puppy Package Manager show no icons now in results hits when searching?
You're right - package type icons are missing in PPM in ArtfulPup compared to XenialPup.....

No idea why - probably some sort of iconset issue?? Perhaps @mavrothal can suggest the reason?

pMount is in the menu under Filesystem BTW....plus in LxPupArtful when using PcManFM - just click on the partition to mount it.
Attachments
ppm-a.png
artful
(161.21 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
ppm-x.png
xenial
(113.54 KiB) Downloaded 477 times

hamoudoudou

i worry about that..icons ppm missing..

#376 Post by hamoudoudou »

icons ppm missing... in the menu too, not only for U-light, when you install new apps. That is true.. i worry about that.. but i will not loose time with that.
What is more my cup of tea is why apt-get find apps that PPM does not..
They are not many, but they are.. (from Xenial Packages)
Then when these really tiny bugs are solved where is the difference between a Dpup-stretch and Slacko and 'Ubuntu's Puppies.. in what they produce, not in how they produce.. The package source is the same
That is not very exciting.. gnee would be more exciting when somebody makes it work.. The process is known under Windows, however prohibited in multi users systems.
It repeats a sequence of mouse clicks and keyboards inputs (it should do it, it was created for it)
Lot of packages are to try from the PPM, even those for which the icon is missing.
needs="X11"\
section="Applications/Programming"\
title="GNU gnee"\
command="gnee"\
icon="/usr/share/pixmaps/xnee.xpm"
Programming ? Gnee is for you !

Attachments
xnee.jpg
Why Icon not in the menu ?
(46.56 KiB) Downloaded 799 times

Marv

#377 Post by Marv »

I'm running ArtfulPup as my daily on my i5 based laptop and have my must-haves working well in it. An integrated, albeit non-gvfs, pcmanfm as the default filemanager and a functional trash can accessable from pcmanfm, rox-filer, and desktop. A genuine don't ask don't tell permanent remove, and wrappers so rox-filer is used as the file manager when running the configuration utilities that depend on it ie. Puppy Theme Manager, PupControl, Desktop Settings. May not have gotten them all but for now seems ok. I'm going to upload my mods as a tgz, not a pet as they are meant as a mad-tinkers guide for the fellow-mad :?

Oh yea, it's also running my samba server on a Bay Trail Desktop and it's rock solid there.

@belham2, Tis true that without gvfs, pcmanfm will not show the drives. I just bookmark my main drives and any removables show up on the desktop and mounting opens pcmanfm. Works for me. Screenie attached also..

Edit: Omitted a thanks to festus. I used the PcManFM from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 683#970683
Attachments
my_artfulpup.png
(162.44 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
artfulpup_marvmods.tar.gz
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Last edited by Marv on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 14:03, edited 2 times in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mavrothal

#378 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote:
01101001b wrote: - Why does Puppy Package Manager show no icons now in results hits when searching?
You're right - package type icons are missing in PPM in ArtfulPup compared to XenialPup.....

No idea why - probably some sort of iconset issue?? Perhaps @mavrothal can suggest the reason?
I actually prefer it without icons (which are too small and often cryptic or misleading) and is the case in slacko and Lxpup for quite some time now, so I wouldn't bother...
However, I believe that the issue is because of the missing icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor.
I think this is related to pTheme so maybe Ziggy could take a look.

Sailor Enceladus

#379 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mavrothal wrote:
peebee wrote:

I actually prefer it without icons (which are too small and often cryptic or misleading) and is the case in slacko and Lxpup for quite some time now, so I wouldn't bother...
However, I believe that the issue is because of the missing icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor.
I think this is related to pTheme so maybe Ziggy could take a look.
I thought they were removed in modern puppies because mini-icons directory was deleted so they would show up as broken now. It is interesting that 666philb brought the feature back in xenialpup somehow (using seemingly a few generic ones?). :)

backi

#380 Post by backi »

Hey you guys !

Can not boot ArtfulPup from a Usb-Stick when copy the extracted Content from the Iso into a Subfolder .
In my case created a Folder named artfulpup on an Usb-stick .

menu.lst looks :
title Puppy artfulpup (sdb1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /artfulpup/vmlinuz pupsubdir=artfulpup pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck,nocopy
initrd /artfulpup/initrd.gz

When copying the extracted Content from the Iso to / root ......it does boot .
Same Problem with newest Xenialpup .
What am i doing wrong?
Any Idea?