Firefox 57 (32-bit) no sound playing YouTube video

Using applications, configuring, problems
OscarTalks

#21 Post by OscarTalks »

Do you want to use Firefox 56 or the new 57?
I was experimenting with 57 in Wheezy a few days ago and I could get YouTube sound working using apulse. I put the apulse libs inside the firefox directory and made sure to give that directory priority. The audio problem with apulse happens because of the recently introduced high-level of sandboxing. This also causes a pango error. If the user.js whitelist settings posted above don't work, you can change security.sandbox.content.level to 0 in about:config (you will probably find that the default is set to 3).

With Tahr 6.0.5 you will obviously also need libgtk-3 from PPM which I presume you have already done. I could probably upload a package of Firefox 57 which will work in 32bit Tahr but actually if you follow the few steps correctly as I outlined it should work.
Oscar in England

nubc

#22 Post by nubc »

I'm running FF 57 from repo with PPM. Well, I hadn't installed libgtk-3, but when I tried to install it with PPM, it says libgtk-3 is already installed. Only thing remaining to do is change sandbox security setting.

EDIT: Success!!! Changing the sandbox security level to 0 did the trick. Now have YT audio. Thanks
Last edited by nubc on Wed 22 Nov 2017, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.

OscarTalks

#23 Post by OscarTalks »

Well I am not sure exactly what that is if it is FF57 from PPM
The apulse is pulseaudio emulation for alsa.
It "pretends to be" pulse but feeds the audio into our normal alsa.
Better to use this rather than pulseaudio itself, but you need to relax the sandboxing as I mentioned above. Try installing my apulse package or better still extract the apulse libs into the firefox directory so they will not interfere with any other programs.
Oscar in England

nubc

#24 Post by nubc »

Success!!! Changing the sandbox security level to 0 did the trick. Now have YT audio. Thanks

EDIT: I guess this is not completely solved because there is a class of HTML5 video that won't play, even after I install an HTML5 player. This one, for instance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ABlTo-EHo

rcrsn51

#25 Post by rcrsn51 »

OscarTalks wrote:security.sandbox.content.level to 0
Thanks for this.

OscarTalks

#26 Post by OscarTalks »

nubc wrote:EDIT: I guess this is not completely solved because there is a class of HTML5 video that won't play, even after I install an HTML5 player. This one, for instance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ABlTo-EHo
Firefox already has an HTML5 player included so installing another one should not be necessary and might in fact stop things from working.
Tested that youtube video in FF57 in Tahr 6.0.5 and it played OK for me.
Oscar in England

nubc

#27 Post by nubc »

OscarTalks, would you be good enough to list all your FF plugins. it would be helpful.

OscarTalks

#28 Post by OscarTalks »

Playing YouTube videos does not require any plugins
Furthermore, this latest FF57 introduces a new engine which breaks a lot of the Extensions / AddOns which people have been using. Best to remove them all and use only the ones that are offered as compatible with FF57.

All I did, in response to your post and in order to test things, was to boot a fresh TahrPup 6.0.5 frugal, install libgtk-3 from PPM, install FF57 (official build from mozilla) with the sound fix as already discussed (add apulse libs and relax the sandboxing).
Oscar in England

nubc

#29 Post by nubc »

Oscar, earlier you offered a .pet package for FF 57. Maybe that would work better since I am seeing strange anomalies like black blank mouseovers/hovers in the Ff 57 I got from PPM.

OscarTalks

#30 Post by OscarTalks »

Isn't that the issue you posted about in a different thread?
If so I already posted a reply about that.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112163

I can post a package a little later if need be, but my concern is that if your problems are caused by other packages or extensions that you have installed then my package may not be different from the one you have. If you still have other problems besides the dark tooltips I suggest you try removing old or unneeded extensions first.
Oscar in England

nubc

#31 Post by nubc »

For some reason that troublesome YT video is playing now, and not complaining about missing HTML5 files. All I really did was edit the /root/.config/gtk3.0 settings file as Oscar suggested.

nubc

#32 Post by nubc »

Another YT video refused to play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayiyA7y3YpQ
The error message indicates my browser (FF 57) has a problem with:
1- H.264
2- MSE & H.264
I believe MSE stands for Media Source Extensions.

EDIT: I rebooted Tahr 605 (3-fingered reboot b/c dvdrom locked), and the error condition cleared, so the video now plays. Reminds me of Windows 95.

nubc

#33 Post by nubc »

HTML5 playback continues to be problematic with FF 57 in Tahr 605, with error messages posted on the player. This is especially troubling because I can no longer access YouTube with Slacko 5.7 because a popup invitation to switch to the new layout from YTdevs freezes FF 45.0, every time. All in all, very frustrating.

bigpup

#34 Post by bigpup »

EDIT: I rebooted Tahr 605 (3-fingered reboot b/c dvdrom locked), and the error condition cleared, so the video now plays.
That tells me you have a CD/DVD drive that is sometimes not reading the disk OK, thus not loading the OPS correctly.

Firefox is now just a big piece of crap!

I use Palemoon and the developers of it, seem to want to make it just work.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#35 Post by nubc »

re: Pale Moon
Limited number of PM add-ons. If I upgrade PM, the virtual keyboard doesn't function in common circumstances.

EDIT: PaleMoon gave the same HTML5 error meesage. Refuses to play a user-generated (content creator) YT video.