Xenialpup64 CE 7.5 / 25 Nov 2017

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

#461 Post by mikeslr »

Hi superchook,

Very strange. Xenialpup64's google-earth is looking for libopenjpeg.so.2. but can't find it. Often, the absence of a lib(rary) can be fixed by locating and installing it. Checking both Xenialpup64's PPM and Ubuntu Repo Search, https://packages.ubuntu.com/, the latter for any version, suggest that libopenjpeg.so jumps from 1.5 to 5. No 2 anywhere.

Even with google-earth-pro-7.1.8.3036_x86_64.sfs loaded and opened, pfind doesn't find libopenjpeg.so.2 on the system. I would have expected at least a symbolic link named libopenjpeg.so.2 pointing to --telling the system to use-- libopenjpeg.so.5.

And ldd of its binary in /opt/google/earth shows no missing libraries.

mikesLr

fredx181

#462 Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr

#463 Post by mikeslr »

Hi fred,

You're right. Don't know how I missed it. And looking at PPM, although I'm running 7.0.8.5, it doesn't show an SFS, but apparently only the relevant "googleearth-package_1.2.2" described as "utility to automatically build a Debian package of Google Earth".

My PPM doesn't access Ubuntu Trusty's repos. I guess they could be added, or after the 'Debian package" built, the build could by modified to include the required library separately downloaded from a Trusty repo.

mikesLr

666philb

quickpet

#464 Post by 666philb »

the release version of xenialpup64 is just about ready ( finally :P )

i'm now just finishing off xenialpup32 and they'll be ready for release.

in the mean time if you could test the attached quickpet and check that all links and packages are working etc. (at the time of writing this the nvidia drivers might not have synced with nluug yet)

the .pet will overwrite your /root/.spot-status & /usr/local/petget/hacks-postinstall.sh.

cheers
Attachments
quickpet_xenial64.pet
(204.3 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

mavrothal

Re: quickpet

#465 Post by mavrothal »

666philb wrote:in the mean time if you could test the attached quickpet and check that all links and packages are working etc.
It fails to find devx. This is really an sfsget issue rather than quickpet.
This because puppies are now in ibiblio paths different than originally expected to be ie $DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX-$DOTVER. In Tahr for example is in puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup64-6.0.5/
Would be a good idea actually puppy builders to follow a consistent path structure for the new puppies, now that both 32 and 64bit versions are provided.

Anyway I guess you can either add a file for the devx in /usr/local/quickpet/ wherever it may be or utilize this recent change in sfsget
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bigpup

#466 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64 7.0.8.6

Quickpet testing

When the icon for Quickpet was first put on the desktop after installing the pet for Quickpet.
The Quickpet icon was over the bugfix icon.

From puppypin
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<pinboard>
<backdrop style="Stretched">/usr/share/backgrounds/default.png</backdrop>
<icon x="32" y="512" label="quickpet">/usr/share/applications/quickpet.desktop</icon>
<icon x="32" y="512" label="bugfix">/usr/share/applications/bugfix.desktop</icon>
<icon x="96" y="320" label="play">/usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer</icon>
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#467 Post by bigpup »

Xenialpup64 7.0.8.6

Quickpet testing

Used Quickpet>Drivers to download and install the Nvidia driver for my hardware.
Clicked on the Nvidia 380.
It downloaded the Nvidia 384.98 driver, which was the latest version recommended by Nvidia web site.
Downloaded, installed, rebooted, and loaded with no problems.
Very easy to do. :D

Driver usage report:
Puppy is a little hog on graphics card resources.
Puppy is using 37MB of graphic memory.
My Geforce GTX 970 has 4GB of memory. :lol: :shock: :roll: :D

What do you need 4GB of graphics memory for? :roll:
Oculus Rift VR!!!!!!
No :cry: It does not work on Puppy :cry: I wish :!:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lassar

Where does xenialpup64 store the alsa sound settings?

#468 Post by Lassar »

Where does xenialpup64 store the alsa volume levels.

I am sure it's probably in the etc folder somewhere, but I can't find it.

Lassar

Bug in Xenialpup64: ALSA audio not loud enought.

#469 Post by Lassar »

At first I thought that the volume I was getting from my old computer was maxed out.

But then, I install audio mixer on kodi & set master and front to 100%.

Exited kodi, and went to alsa setup and test audio.

The sound was about 4 times louder.

So somewhere in Xenialpup64 is a bug, that sets the sound incorrectly.

It does it on both my intel computer as well as on my old amd computer.

These two computers have completely different audio hardware.

rufwoof

Re: Bug in Xenialpup64: ALSA audio not loud enought.

#470 Post by rufwoof »

Lassar wrote:So somewhere in Xenialpup64 is a bug, that sets the sound incorrectly.
Some time back when I tried 7.0.8.5 I got a loud startling bleep type burst at startup. After that it seemed fine but as you say something amiss somewhere.

p310don

Nvidia

#471 Post by p310don »

I have tried to get my nvidia card to work using the proprietary driver to no avail.

Doing what I've done in the past with Tahr, unload nouveau, reboot and run nvidia.run file builds the driver ok-ish, but upon restart my keyboard & mouse won't work.

I found that if I unplug and replug them in, they work. But that has to happen every reboot. Plus, I don't think the driver was actually working.

I tried the quickpet nvidia drivers. Both of which install, come up with "restart now to use nvidia" or something to that effect. Both boot to a xvesa screen with low res and no acceleration.

All of the above were tested using a fresh save file.

p310don

Nvidia

#472 Post by p310don »

I have tried to get my nvidia card to work using the proprietary driver to no avail.

Doing what I've done in the past with Tahr, unload nouveau, reboot and run nvidia.run file builds the driver ok-ish, but upon restart my keyboard & mouse won't work.

I found that if I unplug and replug them in, they work. But that has to happen every reboot. Plus, I don't think the driver was actually working.

I tried the quickpet nvidia drivers. Both of which install, come up with "restart now to use nvidia" or something to that effect. Both boot to a xvesa screen with low res and no acceleration.

All of the above were tested using a fresh save file.

bigpup

#473 Post by bigpup »

p310don,
builds the driver ok-ish
Is this saying the driver was made with no errors reported at the end of the build?

What is the Nvidia hardware?
What exact driver did you first try to install?
What driver does the Nvidia web site say is the correct driver for your hardware?
Did you uninstall it using PPM(Puppy package manager) before trying to install a different driver?
Also, each time you tried to install a different driver. Did you first uninstall any previously installed driver?
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#474 Post by p310don »

Bigpup wrote
Is this saying the driver was made with no errors reported at the end of the build?
It spat out errors saying "cannot create symlink xxxx because the file already exists". It did about 10 of those. It seems that the driver builds ok, but doesn't install quite right.
What is the Nvidia hardware?
GT210 - I think, not at home atm.
What exact driver did you first try to install?
The recommended driver from nvidia's website - 340.1040
Did you uninstall it using PPM(Puppy package manager) before trying to install a different driver? Also, each time you tried to install a different driver. Did you first uninstall any previously installed driver?
No. I used a pristine save file every time I tried either building or installing it.

bigpup

#475 Post by bigpup »

It spat out errors saying "cannot create symlink xxxx because the file already exists". It did about 10 of those. It seems that the driver builds ok, but doesn't install quite right.
If you get any errors at the end of the Nvidia run package build, it probably did not get built correctly.

You may already be doing it this way, but just to make sure.
Here is how I do it.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110611
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#476 Post by p310don »

Thanks Bigpup. The last line on your linked post about "do not save the x config" might be the clue. I'll try it again when I get home and see how it goes.

jamesbond

#477 Post by jamesbond »

p310don:
1. Assuming you run the latest 7.0.8.6 xenial64 (64-bit) pup.
2. Assuming you start from a fresh savefile (or pfix=ram).

0. Download NVIDIA-xxx tarball (I used 340.104 as per your example).
1. Load devx and kernel sources using sfs_load.
2. mkdir to Linux partition (or /tmp, if it ls large enough (you need at least 512MB free).
3. cd to that dir
4. Extract: "sh /path/to/where/you/downloaded/NVIDIA-*.run -x"
5. cd NVIDIA-*
6. ./nvidia-installer -a --ui=none --no-x-check --no-nouveau-check --compat32-libdir=lib32 -k 4.9.58
7, When it asks you whether to install 32-bit library, please respond with "no" (unless you really need it).
8. When it ask you to update x-config, say "no"
9. Manually disable nouveau (echo "blacklist nouveau" > /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf
10. Exit to prompt
11. Run xorgwizard. Choose "set video driver". Set it to "nvidia".
12. Reboot

13. If you need that 32-bit library (for use with wine or whatever), edit /etc/ld.so.conf and append a new line at the end:
"/usr/lib32"
Then save the file, and run "ldconfig".

Good luck.

EDIT: Better, fully tested on real hardware step-by-step guide on the next few posts after this: here.
Last edited by jamesbond on Fri 24 Nov 2017, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

p310don

#478 Post by p310don »

Followed bigpup's method. Everything went without a hitch, seemingly.

Xenial boots to a full screen, the nvidia x-server control centre works, BUT, running WINE, the game plays like molasses, so no acceleration. Tried to play a video, but now mpv doesn't start. Mpv in terminal gives me:
root# mpv
mpv: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
root#
so that's buggered up too.

James. I'll have to try your method, tomorrow after work.

rcrsn51

#479 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are you using the 32bit version of the NVIDIA package?

bigpup

#480 Post by bigpup »

If the game is using OpenGL
nvidia x-server settings>OpenGL settings
Uncheck sync to vblank

OpenGl runs much faster not sync to vblank.
Big, big difference in FPS
YaPI(any iso installer)