Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Alternatives to FireFox 57 - for legacy add-ons
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
MrAccident

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov 2017, 21:55    Post subject:  Alternatives to FireFox 57 - for legacy add-ons  

Today FF automatically "upgraded", and most add-ons became legacy.
Most importantly - without Session-Manager - FF is unusable.

From what I gathered - there isn't coming-back for Session-Manager, and probably many others.

What do you think is the best alternative?
I heard of WaterFox so far. They said they'll continue the legacy add-ons support.

Also, due to some problems with losing information with the system braking etc - I use FF-portable.
So probably - portable version is the best.
6502coder

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 00:24    Post subject:  

One option is to switch to Firefox ESR, which is currently based on Firefox 52, so by switching to the ESR version, your "legacy" add-ons will continue to work. This will buy you time until June 2018, after which the next ESR version will be based on Firefox 59.
MrAccident

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 00:28    Post subject:  

But WaterFox said they are going to continue to support those add-ons. Don't know if indefinitely; but probably for a long time.
6502coder

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 00:44    Post subject:  

With FF 52.x ESR you'll continue get security fixes from Mozilla until June. I don't know where Waterfox stands in that regard. Also Waterfox isn't an option for 32-bit machines, it seems.
version2013

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 01:15    Post subject:  

I am currently using Pale Moon, 32-bit, so I can still use legacy add-on 'Mozilla Archive Format' (MAFF).

http://www.palemoon.org/
https://addons.palemoon.org/
https://addons.palemoon.org/incompatible/

Concerning 'Session Manager', they say:
Use version 0.8.1.7
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 04:43    Post subject:  

Second vote for palemoon. With my hardware I use the esr version.

Regards,

Ken.
MrAccident

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 05:28    Post subject:  

Ken - there are many FireFox forks; can you expand on your choice? And anyone else who has Pale Moon.
It says in their Wikipedia - that their main emphasis is on customizability; which is the main reason I use FireFox; so it's probably good for me.
Well, I guess it's like Yogi Berra said - "when you come to a fork in the road - take it".

Last edited by MrAccident on Fri 17 Nov 2017, 02:22; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 08:13    Post subject:  

@ MrAccident:-

Just a query (and probably pointless at that):-

Are you a 'committed' FireFox user? Are you prepared to even consider alternatives outside the Mozilla eco-system.....like, say, the Chromium-based browsers? Because one way or another, every browser out there, pretty much, is based on either FireFox or Chromium...

Mike. Wink

Makoto

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 08:36    Post subject:  

I have Pale Moon installed alongside Firefox. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with some of the 'legacy' extensions I want to keep using.

Have you considered Seamonkey? I haven't personally seen any indication (YET) that they're going to follow the exact same route with their extension handlers as Firefox, although I wouldn't be surprised.

A while back, I found a Firefox-to-Seamonkey extension converter, that attempts to convert Firefox extensions to allow them to work with Seamonkey. It won't work for all extensions, but it might help. You may prefer to save a local copy of the extensions before (if) you try it.

Extension Converter for SeaMonkey

I have a handful of extensions I've converted running in Seamonkey; just be aware that if there are any updates to the extensions, you'll need to convert those as well.

6502coder

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 13:18    Post subject:  

According to this

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/03/seamonkey-future-firefox-esr

"...SeaMonkey will continue to support features such as the classic add-on system for a while longer before it is dropped (when the next ESR release hits)"

which says to me that SeaMonkey is only committing to support legacy add-ons until May-June 2018, which is when the next FF ESR is scheduled for release.

Clearly the sticking point is that trying to follow FF's shift to WebExtensions, Quantum, etc would require a daunting amount of developer resources for SeaMonkey. On the other hand, if SeaMonkey, PaleMoon, Waterfox etc elect to stay on the old architecture, that's all well and good as far as legacy add-ons go, but it raises the question of how future security fixes in FF are going to find their way into SM/PM/WF.
MrAccident

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov 2017, 18:54    Post subject:  

Mike - I already went through my search days... actually years. That's how I ended up in Puppy. Same for all the programs I use.
I tried Opera, and Chrome 2 times - in its beginning and not long ago. Opera is not configurable enough, and was lacking totally basic features, and just basic decisions. And Chrome was incredibly heavy on the system. FireFox had most configurability, mostly due to the add-ons, and was only improving, so it seemed; until they now dropped their main property.
The same understanding about other programs; the most efficient are not configurable, and most used are usually very heavy.

Makoto - I guess what I wrote - also applies to your comment. I have SeaMonkey for some reason, probably by default, and to have a way to connect to the web if something happens to the main browser; and it seems to be a legacy program itself; and I don't modify things myself so much; mostly a user.
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 04:22    Post subject:  

MrAccident wrote:
Makoto - I guess what I wrote - also applies to your comment. I have SeaMonkey for some reason, probably by default, and to have a way to connect to the web if something happens to the main browser; and it seems to be a legacy program itself; and I don't modify things myself so much; mostly a user.

Legacy? I'm not sure that fits. It's true that when Mozilla was formed and started their work, they took two directions - maintaining Netscape Communicator largely intact (what would become Seamonkey) and splitting Communicator into individual components (what would become Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.) But Seamonkey is still being maintained today. I'm not sure how active the project is, as I haven't taken a look at the nightlies, if they're still posting them. But they do produce updated versions now and then.

But, what do I know... I'm probably just going to keep all three browsers at the same version, forever, just so my old "legacy" extensions will continue to work. Mr. Green

MrAccident

PostPosted: Sat 18 Nov 2017, 05:10    Post subject:  

Makoto - I meant it sort-of sarcastically.
But on Puppy - only an old version exists. I actually tried to find the new version - 2.49.1; but it seems that only 2.10.1 - exists. And I even have a notification that it's old, and I should get the up to date version.
I don't remember whether I tried its functionality actually; but I prefer up to date versions.
Makoto

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 03:27    Post subject:  

Currently, there's some issues and Seamonkey can't be automatically updated to the 2.49.1 version (or it could also be because SM 2.49(.1) for Linux also makes the switch from GTK2 to GTK3), more or less. The Seamonkey homepage claims it's the former.

The SeaMonkey® Project

So, if you've got a system capable of running GTK3, you'll probably have to manually download and install SM, if nobody's created a pet/install package for it.

MrAccident

PostPosted: Sun 19 Nov 2017, 03:47    Post subject:  

Makoto - OK thanks. I'll just stick with something ready-made and closest to FireFox. I already searched and tried-out things for years; and am really sick of that.
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: