IRON 32 bit browser is BACK!

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sheldonisaac

#61 Post by sheldonisaac »

Mike, Oscar, or somebody: HELP!
I put 32-bit Tahr 6.0.6 on my friend's Dell D610 laptop, and the same Iron browser 58.0.3050.0 that I use.
She goes to yahoo.com, logs in, clicks mail, and is told to upgrade browser.
I've been unable to find a way for her to access Yahoo mail.

Please advise. Thank you very much.

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

OscarTalks

#62 Post by OscarTalks »

Sheldon,

I don't have 6.0.6 to hand but I did a fresh boot of 6.0.5 and installed Iron .pet
I was able to sign in to Yahoo Mail without problems so I am unable to reproduce any issue I'm afraid.
Sometimes Yahoo Mail will present a page asking for something but usually it is just a case of clicking on the help link and then "Go To Mail" will let me in. That is the only thought that springs to mind. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
Oscar in England

spiritwild

#63 Post by spiritwild »

They said or it was said, they no longer support any other browsers/derivatives.

This fix seems to work for me.

search for "User-Agent Switcher for Chrome" extension.
Once installed it will let you spoof your browser so yahoo thinks you are using chrome or firefox.

I'm using one of the firefox listings provided on the extension.

Heres a list

http://www.useragentstring.com/pages/us ... yp=Browser

you can edit the extention options to add whatever string you wish.

This only started a few months ago for me, there may be a quicker fix by now that I'm not aware of.
I found it amusing that you could not go back to classic mail, it just looped back to the same page and held you hostage. :shock:

Edit: I found this as well https://www.howtogeek.com/113439/how-to ... xtensions/

Haven't messed with the manual edit, knowing my luck it will fudge everything up.

sheldonisaac

Yahoo mail with User-Agent Switcher for Chrome !!

#64 Post by sheldonisaac »

spiritwild (in part) wrote:They said or it was said, they no longer support any other browsers/derivatives.

This fix seems to work for me.
search for "User-Agent Switcher for Chrome" extension.
(re Yahoo mail) Thank you, spiritwild! I will try it on her computer, and report back.

spiritwild

#65 Post by spiritwild »

Anyone know if they are just killing support for 32 bit? The last upgrade said 32 bit wasn't updated due to a bug. that hasn't changed as far as I can tell.

Never used vivaldi, is it a good chrome browser? I have all the others, firefox, palemoon, slimjet.

I like palemoon for the simplicity of updating but I'm not familiar with any pros and cons

Linux Kernel: 4.1.31 (i686)
Distro: LxPupXenial 16.08

OscarTalks

#66 Post by OscarTalks »

I have only glanced briefly at the situation regarding 32bit Iron, but as far as I know they have been saying that thing about a "bug" for at least a couple of version updates now and have only released 64bit versions. I can only suggest to keep an eye on their website and forum for any news. I think it may be possible that they will resolve it at some point, but then the trend does seem to be towards abandoning 32bit.

Vivaldi is my favourite of the Chromium derivative browsers and their 32bit versions are still being released. The interface is more extensively modified than Iron. It does look different, but it can be customised by the user. These things are down to personal taste and what you are used to. Also you can still run it as root if you are prepared to operate with sandbox disabled.

Palemoon seems good for most things. Personally I mostly run Dpups so I use the Debian builds of Firefox ESR more than any other browser with Vivaldi in second place.
Oscar in England

Netwrench

Thanks

#67 Post by Netwrench »

I haven't been able to move from my ancient EDell 610, so trying to keep my browsing/mail machine going a little longer, so thanks for the suggestions on other browsers.

sheldonisaac

newest version

#68 Post by sheldonisaac »

Oscar, I've been using your Iron version 58 for quite a while. I now see that the version at https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn is 63.
I can't seem to download it.
Help, please.

Oh, and how can I find out what's better in the newer versions?

Thank you,
Sheldon Isaac

Mike Walsh

#69 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ sheldon:-

Yah; the 'new-look' Yandex site takes a bit of getting used to...

Click just to the left of the file you want (there's a very faint box with a wee arrow in the top-right corner; SFS files have a 'zip'), then you'll see a full-width banner appear at the top of the screen.....giving you the option to download it.

Not terribly intuitive, unfortunately.

Mike. :wink:

sheldonisaac

Re: newest version

#70 Post by sheldonisaac »

sheldonisaac wrote:Oscar, I've been using your Iron version 58 for quite a while. I now see that the version at https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn is 63.
My everyday OS is musher0's Xenial 7.0.6.
Having switched the browser to Iron v63, I can't save PDF files.
When I right-click and try to save, the browser quits; when I next start it, it says it wasn't exited properly, and should it restore.

This problem didn't occur with Iron 58.0.3050.0

Can someone help?

Thanks a lot.

Sheldon Isaac

spiritwild

#71 Post by spiritwild »

"We released the new Iron for Linux 69 today, which contains all features and updates known from Chromium 69. The current version is 69.3600.0."

32 bit was stuck in limbo for months and they finally updated it.

https://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 745#p51171

s243a

#72 Post by s243a »

spiritwild wrote:"We released the new Iron for Linux 69 today, which contains all features and updates known from Chromium 69. The current version is 69.3600.0."

Thankyou for the info. I'm using Iron on TazPup and find it one of the lighter weight feature-rich browsers. :)

OscarTalks

#73 Post by OscarTalks »

Iron 69.0.3600.0 32bit version
Did a repack of the .deb as .pet and .sfs
Added a "iron-pup" script to easily switch between run as root with no sandbox or run as spot.
Brief test in Dpup Stretch. Some chatter in terminal but it does start and run.
Uploaded strictly for testing only
https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn?force_show=1
Attachments
iron-69-i386.jpg
Iron 69 in Stretch Pup
(27.55 KiB) Downloaded 690 times
Oscar in England

sheldonisaac

#74 Post by sheldonisaac »

OscarTalks (in part) wrote:Iron 69.0.3600.0 32bit version
Did a repack of the .deb as .pet and .sfs
Added a "iron-pup" script to easily switch between run as root with no sandbox or run as spot.
https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn?force_show=1
Many thanks, OscarTalks!
=========
EDIT 3/18/2019.
Hi, I've been using this Iron 69.0.3600.0 32bit version with musher0's Xenial 7.06 as my everyday browser.

Re clearing the cache (see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 55#1010955), I just tried editing /usr/share/iron/iron-pup
by adding this at the top:

Code: Select all

## added by SI 3/18/2019
rm /root/.cache/iron/Default/Media\ Cache/*
rm /root/.cache/iron/Default/Cache/*
Do you think that is OK?

Thanks again,
Sheldon
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Mon 18 Mar 2019, 16:55, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#75 Post by Mike Walsh »

spiritwild wrote:"We released the new Iron for Linux 69 today, which contains all features and updates known from Chromium 69. The current version is 69.3600.0."

Huh. Not just 32-bit; the whole Linux version of Iron, 32- or 64-bit, was 'stuck in limbo'. Last release, v66, came out sometime back in early May.....

Never mind, though. It finally got there. We shouldn't really complain, y'know; like so much open-source software, it's provided to us, the end user, free, gratis.....and for nothing. It's not like the team at SRWare actually owe us anything.....

64-bit version, running from /home/spot, available here.

sheldonisaac

Re: IRON 32 bit browser is BACK!

#76 Post by sheldonisaac »

I want to remove the 'Cached images and files' each time I shut down.
It's a frugal install of musher0's xenial 7.0.6

Will some one please tell a command to do that; I suppose that would be put into /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

Thank you,
Sheldon Isaac

mikeslr

#77 Post by mikeslr »

Hi sheldonisaac

I use the Addon/Extension named "History Eraser" in all Chrome Clones. See Attached screenshot. I use it with these settings to close Iron. Note that the following were checked: Close All Tabs before cleaning, Close App after cleaning, and Close Chrome after cleaning. That's actually the way I close Iron and Google-Chrome.

The only things I don't erase on closing are plugin-in data --thought not doing so would be more efficient. IIRC, one choice I didn't make would have required an upgrade to the paid version.

Google has made it confusing to get addons. Used to be able to do that from "More Tools" on the Menu. Now there are two ways. While using a Chrome-or-Clone you can go directory to https://chrome.google.com/webstore/sear ... extensions or open your Chrome-clone browser to google.com, click the "square" next to Sign In, and then select Play.

During installation you'll be offered another App called, I think, Quick and Clean. I declined the offer, But I think Mike Walsh uses it.
Attachments
History Eraser.png
History Eraser
(150.13 KiB) Downloaded 1012 times

Mike Walsh

#78 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike:-
mikeslr wrote:During installation you'll be offered another App called, I think, Quick and Clean. I declined the offer, But I think Mike Walsh uses it.
D'you know, I thought your control panel there looked rather familiar. If you have a look here:-

History Eraser

.....and here:-

Click&Clean

.....just look under the header.....and see who they're offered by.

https://www.hotcleaner.com/

Both offered by the same folks.....and doubtless both work in pretty much the same way, too..!! Curiously, the link for both pages takes you straight to the HotCleaner 'Click&Clean' page (no sign of one for History Eraser, unless that's an earlier incarnation of the same extension...? *shrug* ) :?

mikeslr

#79 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

No. They still publish HIstory Eraser. There's a link to it on their webpage. I suspect that Click&Clean has more privacy related options. I'll have to try it sometime, perhaps on Firefox. I didn't know it wasn't just for Chrome-and-Clones.

s243a

#80 Post by s243a »

Mike Walsh wrote:

Huh. Not just 32-bit; the whole Linux version of Iron, 32- or 64-bit, was 'stuck in limbo'. Last release, v66, came out sometime back in early May.....

Never mind, though. It finally got there. We shouldn't really complain, y'know; like so much open-source software, it's provided to us, the end user, free, gratis.....and for nothing. It's not like the team at SRWare actually owe us anything.....

64-bit version, running from /home/spot, available here.

i tried the 64bit version on slacko64+6.9.9.9. I didn't work because I didn't have libpcre3. I checked slackbuilds and the newest they have is libpcre2. I wonder if I can modify the libpcre2 script to work for libpcre3.