Waterfox

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
labbe5

Waterfox

#1 Post by labbe5 »

https://www.waterfoxproject.org/downloads

Compressed file download is 95MB.

Features :

Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)
Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)
Removed Pocket
Removed Telemetry
Removed data collection
Removed startup profiling
Allow running of all 64-Bit NPAPI plugins
Allow running of unsigned extensions
Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page
Addition of Duplicate Tab option
Locale selector in about:preferences > General

This browser may appeal to Firefox users that have a grievance against Firefox for not supporting anymore NPAPI plugins and unsigned extensions, detrimental to security.

There is a profile for it if you are a regular user of Firejail (version 0.9.48).

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases ... n-firefox/

Mozilla has been steadily improving the Web platform to support features that were once only available via NPAPI plugins. Streaming video, advanced graphics, and gaming features have all become native Web APIs in the past few years. Mozilla continues to prioritize features that will make it possible for sites to switch away from plugins. Features such as clipboard access which used to require plugins are now available via native Web APIs. As browsers and the Web have grown, NPAPI has shown its age. Plugins are a source of performance problems, crashes, and security incidents for Web users.

Mozilla intends to remove support for most NPAPI plugins in Firefox by the end of 2016.

MrAccident

#2 Post by MrAccident »

How to install it?

festus

#3 Post by festus »

MrAccident wrote:How to install it?
Unpack the waterfox....tar.bz2 archive to /opt or wherever you choose; I unpacked mine to a separate folder in /mnt/sda2 drive where the pup is frugally installed.

Then make a "waterfox.desktop" file and save it to /usr/share/applications
Here is mine for example(change to your specifications):

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Waterfox
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/waterfoxicon128.png
Comment=Waterfox web browser
Exec=/usr/bin/waterfox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=X-Internet-browser
GenericName=Waterfox web browser
I renamed the default icon,from the extracted location of /waterfox/browser/icons/mozicon128.png, to "waterfoxicon128.png", so as not to interfere with another icon of the same name. Then I copied the changed icon "waterfoxicon128.png" to /usr/share/pixmaps. This renaming step is NOT necessary if you do not already have an icon of the same name, only with a different color in /usr/share/pixmaps.

Lastly, I symlinked the executable "waterfox" to /usr/bin, like this:

Code: Select all

ln -s /mnt/sda2/waterfox/waterfox /usr/bin/waterfox
Hope this helps...

bliss,
festus
Last edited by festus on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.

MrAccident

#4 Post by MrAccident »

Nothing worked :-)

Here's what I did exactly:
------Extracted tar.bz file into Puppy's drive; so now the folder's path is /mnt/home/waterfox/.
------Created "waterfox.desktop" file inside /usr/share/applications. Then I opened the file as text file, and pasted the code you've provided; with the exception of "sda1" instead of "sda2". The file's icon is different than all files in that folder.
------I didn't understand what you've meant by - renaming mozicon128.png file; where is it? Instead I created "mozicon128.png" file in /usr/share/pixmaps/. Its icon is also different.
------I copied the code "ln -s /mnt/sda2/waterfox/waterfox /usr/bin/waterfox" - into terminal and clicked enter; and it just created the next line - starting with #.

So tell me if I did one thing right. :-J

phat7

Re: Waterfox

#5 Post by phat7 »

labbe5 wrote:Subject description: a remix of Firefox for 64-bit Linux and other platforms
Your Puppy is still slacko 5.7?

MrAccident

#6 Post by MrAccident »

phat7 - yes. So it can't work for that?
Now I see on the download page - that the requirements include a 64-bit Linux distribution.
Sorry about that.
Is it true generally for WaterFox, or only for this version?

Makoto

Re: Waterfox

#7 Post by Makoto »

labbe5 wrote:Removed Pocket
Wait, Mozilla added the Pocket crap to the desktop version of Firefox, too? Argh. :evil:

(I haven't updated Firefox n a while because of the extensions issue.
And the new mobile version screws everything up for me (in addition to adding something I have to turn off (Pocket)). :roll: If the mobile version of Pale Moon was still available and I could figure out how to transfer all my Firefox Mobile information to it, I'd dump FFMobile.)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

festus

#8 Post by festus »

@MrAccident

phat7, is right, this browser version is only 64bit, and the reason for it failing to launch for you.

I edited my above post in an attempt to make it more understandable, at least about the icon renaming reason and the symlink.

MrAccident

#9 Post by MrAccident »

festus - alright, thank you. I copied it to a file for the system; if I'll encounter with this kind of program to install.