First impressions of Firefox Quantum..?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Mike Walsh

First impressions of Firefox Quantum..?

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

Even though I'm not a Firefox fan (and haven't been for years), I thought I'd give FF57 a go, and see if the hype lives up to its promise.

I downloaded, and installed it to 32-bit Xenialpup 7081.

I have to admit, as a staunch user of Chromium-based browsers, I'm quite impressed by the Quantum 'engine'. Much faster; smoother.....and it doesn't seem to have the usual tendency to crash at the slightest provocation. And more importantly, after all the hype there's been surrounding the demise of the extensions eco-system, the few extensions I do use all seem to have been upgraded to the new WebExtensions API.

NetFlix works seamlessly now, with nothing more required than to tick the checkbox under 'Digital Rights Management'. However, even after installing Oscar's 'apulse' .pet, sound still refuses to work... Doubtless I shall get to the bottom of it before long.

What are other's thoughts and impressions of it? Just curious, really.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 18 Nov 2017, 09:03, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#2 Post by dancytron »

On Debian dog, this is what you have to do after installing apulse. It is probably the same issue.
you can have audio working by running from menu 'Firefox-apulse', type "about:config" in firefox adress bar , then search for "security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", double click it and type "/dev/snd/" (without the quotes), then quit firefox , then by running "Firefox-apulse" from menu, the audio works, from what I tested.
See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 346#974346

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I downloaded 57 when it was at beta 14 I think, because Discord devs screwed something up that made anything without "multicore" option enabled (like FF52esr) messed up and glitchy, at least in Linux. 57 worked ok, but with the beta it would take literally a minute before messages sent showed up for some reason. Might try it again with the release version to see if it's fixed yet.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

dancytron wrote:On Debian dog, this is what you have to do after installing apulse. It is probably the same issue.
you can have audio working by running from menu 'Firefox-apulse', type "about:config" in firefox adress bar , then search for "security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", double click it and type "/dev/snd/" (without the quotes), then quit firefox , then by running "Firefox-apulse" from menu, the audio works, from what I tested.
See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 346#974346
Thanks for that, Dan.

You're right; it does indeed appear to be the same issue.....and that's quite an easy fix, when all's said & done. Where would we all be without Bill?

Just have to remember to start via Firefox-apulse, instead. I can get a better idea of what this thing's capabilities are, now....

Cheers.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 16 Nov 2017, 18:24, edited 2 times in total.

watchdog

#5 Post by watchdog »

Tested firefox quantum in tahr 6.0.6 with the user.js and OscarTallks' apulse for sound fix:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 839#965839

It works well but I'll not abandon palemoon which has old puppies support with up-to-date security fixes.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

watchdog wrote:Tested firefox quantum in tahr 6.0.6 with the user.js and OscarTallks' apulse for sound fix:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 839#965839

It works well but I'll not abandon palemoon which has old puppies support with up-to-date security fixes.
Oh, don't do that, watchdog. I have your Palemoon working very nicely in Racy; it runs miles better than Firefox does..!

No, I've heard so much about this new Quantum recently; I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about. But at the end of the day, if I half-close my eyes, and use a wee bit of imagination.....I could be running Chrome.

They are that much alike now. And I wouldn't care to say whether that's a good thing, or a bad thing.....

jake29

#7 Post by jake29 »

I did some Firefox v57 testing in FatDog64 and it does seem very fast loading websites. As fast as Chrome; possibly faster than Opera.

My main work-flow comprises of Chrome standalone Apps (thanks to Mike) for specific services (Amazon Video, Spotify) and Opera for everything else. Even if Opera is milliseconds slower at rendering pages - it's UI and features (built-in VPN) have really grown on me.

But as a one-stop ram-friendly browser; FF57 is now the best choice. As more addons become compatible - it's possible I will be lured over completely.

backi

#8 Post by backi »

Hi !
In my case i tested Firefox Quantum on a single Core Toshiba Laptop with 1 gig of Ram.It use a lot of ram.....
In my Case ....Palemoon works better .......as i said ....maybe just because of my single Core Processor.

Regards !

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, backi.

Y'know, this is why we attempt to keep as varied a choice as possible; to cater for everyone's tastes, circumstances, hardware.....the list goes on. And on. And.....well; I think you get the picture!

I have to agree with Jake, though. With Quantum, I'm now happier to keep it as my 'back-up' browser than I have been for years.....especially considering FF is self-contained in a single directory. But I'm far too faithful a Chrome user to give it the 'heave-ho' even so....

Old habits die hard.