XFCE window manager

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
lvds

XFCE window manager

#1 Post by lvds »

Hello,

I have read a lot of documentation these days and i thank you all very much for having point me to the right place, i learned a lot.

Though i had no success at trying to install xfce neither on a regular distro 2.13 nor on a barebone. I found two packs for xfce, one .PET and one .PUP, i found also an update for xinitrc, and two documentation in the wikki, but none works completely.

The PET package did not install on my pc. The PUP uncompress but did not work. The xinitrc readings makes me understood it was not ok so i ran startxfce4 direct from the xfce bin directory... did not work: stating a libstartup-notification*.* is missing. I have taken it from my xubuntu install and finally had the xfce to start, but a lot of things are missing or does not work. I got a display under xorg but xvesa gave nothing and abort.

As a few gurus here had success at creating a puppy xfce (Plinej, and others...) i would like to ask if we could have a stable xfce pack easy to install and rock solid, at least enough solid to build a distro on it, and even document the process enough so others could do it again... ?

If someone could help me a setting up a running xfce i could document the whole process and point the non-working things on others wikki so everyone could upgrade. Now the xfce 4.4.0 stable is out and will last long everyone could benefit from this work and we could joint efforts.

May someone help or is willing to work on this ?
Does anyone have a xfce pup ok to install ?

Best regards,
Laurent.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

I have no time for it, but might supply you with the libraries.

Here is a dotpup of 0.4.39, that list dotpups with the required libs:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 665&t=9861

Mark

Dougal

#3 Post by Dougal »

I don't know why you don't manage to install it. I also didn't know there was a .pet package... for 4.2.3.2 you can go here.

When I'll manage to get somewhere to download the code for 4.4 I'll compile it and make a dotpup.
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

I have xfce-4.4.0 running beautifully in Grafpup now, but that won't transfer over to Puppy because of the different gtk libs. If I can find the time and nobody else beats me to it I'll compile for Puppy also. This is head and shoulders above the rest, absolutely the best xfce desktop the project has ever turned out. Thunar and Terminal are truly great applications.

If someone wants to give it a go before I can, here's a few pointers. To get the desktop icons, you will need dbus and dbus-glib. Actuallly, a lot of things will be partially broken if you build without dbus, so it's a good idea to use it anyway. The package should create a specific key for the machine it is running on with the command 'dbus-uuidgen --ensure' and the daemon will have to be started with 'dbus-daemon --system', which I have added to rc.local. You can check out the post install script of my package to get a feel for it, which can be found at ftp://texasangel.org/pub/grafpup/packages/2.0/ along with all of the xfce packages. I have them set up individually, with the package manager resolving dependencies, but you won't have that luxury so it's better to shove it all into one dotpup or tarball.

Dbus is not a big security concern or memory drain like hal. Dbus, OK, hal I recommend staying away from, not the leats of which reasons is that you will spend years trying to get it working right.

It's quite easy to customize xfce, as everyone knows. There's a few things that can be done that I haven't seen anyone do in Puppy yet though. If you replace the file $PREFIX/share/pixmaps/xfce4_xicon1.png you can have a custom start button. I have the grafpup logo as the start button, but that round Puppy paw button would look great there also. You can also do things like replace the splash image to make it look a bit more official and Puppy-ized. Personally I wouldn't mess with the default menu, because when the official Puppy has xdg menus xfce will automatically snatch all the desktop files and all the Puppy apps will show up in the menus.

A couple other probabilities now. You can change the icon theme in xfce if you go ahead and install another one, I currently have Tango and the Gnome icon theme installed along with the xfce icon theme. I've had several others installed also. By far my favorite, especially in conjunction with xfce, is Tango. To install it from source you need the icon naming utils package, which also needs ImageMagick, making for a big dependency. But I have Tango and Gnome icon themes packaged up in the same repo I pointed out earlier, and they should function just fine if you just grab my packages. If you want to try it you should install Hicolor also, since most themes fall back to Hicolor when they have trouble finding an icon. Actually, you may need it to get the xfce icon theme working as it should.

In case you guys didn't notice I'm quite enamored of xfce right now. Personally I think it's the best DE available in the *nix world right now, way better in a lot of ways than gnome or KDE. What the bigger DE's have on it are the huge selection of applications, but they come at too high of a price. The little mouse runs so well on my desktop I can't possibly go back to either of the otehr big guys now.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...