Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 17 Nov 2017, 13:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 42 of 42 [621 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42
dr. Dan

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017, 23:19    Post subject: Networking  

@jamesbond

thanks for the quick response!
Quote:
rcrsn51 prefers that people get the official version directly from him.

In that case, some kind of note to users having problems including a link to that information could be helpful. Like I wrote, I am not having problems, and don't need to use it, but there have been several comments from frustrated users who might benefit from the option.
Quote:
The suspend/wakeup script is located at /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh. The default contents stops network before suspend, and re-starts it after resume. If network doesn't work well after resume, it might well be the network driver. The usual suggested approach is to unload the network driver ("rmmod module-name") and load it again after suspend.

Thank you! I have attempted to do that, and will hope for good results! Much searching had not previously found specific useful information, only advice to "add a hook."

One more bit of information for the help file: Deleting a network from the manage networks tab of wpa-gui seems to cause issues. Perhaps there is some improvement coming in the next version, but if the issue remains, a note to the user to open the Network drop-down list, select "Select any Network", then click File>Save Configuration (Ctrl+S) after deleting a network might save someone some hassle.
Quote:
Network Wizard was meant for fallback for functions that wasn't supported by wpa-gui: wired ethernet and static IPs. In the upcoming release, both of these functions are now handled by wpa-gui directly. The only reason to use Network Wizard is that if you want to run a terminal-based network manager.

This seems good.

Thanks!
step

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov 2017, 03:28    Post subject: Re: Networking  

dr. Dan wrote:
click File>Save Configuration (Ctrl+S)
I added a prominent note about remembering to Ctrl+S after any configuration changes. Thank you.
prehistoric

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov 2017, 10:40    Post subject:  

Any word on updating to Firefox 57, released November 14, 2017?

I believe this breaks the assumptions used in running as spot, plus those in the update script, due to new restrictions on writing to system files in Linux versions.

I'm sticking with Firefox 56.0.3 and Google_Chrome-11122017 (64-bit), but would like to know what happens next.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 09:25    Post subject:  

prehistoric wrote:
Any word on updating to Firefox 57, released November 14, 2017?

I just tried. Use the updated update-firefox.sh script (not available yet - will be in next release), it automatically installs gtk3 and libapulse. Launch browser, save file to /home/spot, works. Play youtube, also works (all as user spot).

Quote:
I believe this breaks the assumptions used in running as spot, plus those in the update script, due to new restrictions on writing to system files in Linux versions.
Only tested for 2 minutes. It works. By the way, next release will have a big change for spot - it's home no longer in /root/spot. It will move to /home/spot.

cheers!

prehistoric

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 12:40    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
...Use the updated update-firefox.sh script (not available yet - will be in next release), it automatically installs gtk3 and libapulse...
Grrrr. No problem with gtk3 and libapulse, but I need that updated update-firefox.sh. (I don't trust myself anymore to make significant changes to scripts. Too many implicit assumptions to discover.)

It's time for me to build a new installation from scratch anyway. Several experiments have damaged the one I'm using at the moment.

I'll wait on the new improved fatdog. Also looking to try Gimp 2.9.6, for increased color depth and wavelet decomposition, though that branch is still not stable. Parallel processing remains problematic.
I'm expecting to see 2.8.22 in fatdog.

Looking like we will all be forced to move to gtk3 in a year or so.

I am dangerously close to building yet another power computer when component prices fall after Christmas.

(Why? I don't know. Just curious. My Raspberry Pi would do most of what I need.)
jamesbond

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 21:12    Post subject:  

prehistoric wrote:
Grrrr. No problem with gtk3 and libapulse, but I need that updated update-firefox.sh. (I don't trust myself anymore to make significant changes to scripts. Too many implicit assumptions to discover.)
Of course you can have it. It's attached (remove the fake-gz extension). Please test it by running in a sandbox.

Quote:
I'll wait on the new improved fatdog. Also looking to try Gimp 2.9.6, for increased color depth and wavelet decomposition, though that branch is still not stable.
16-bit colour depth will be welcome, so is a "effect" layer (instead of having to bake it the effect into the layer immediately). Oh well, it will get there when it gets there.
Quote:
I'm expecting to see 2.8.22 in fatdog.
Yes, this the version that comes in next release.

Quote:
Looking like we will all be forced to move to gtk3 in a year or so.
We had a discussion whether to have gtk3 in the base, or not yet. We're trying to hold off as much as we can. We alreaady have gtk2 and qt5 in the base ....

Quote:
(Why? I don't know. Just curious. My Raspberry Pi would do most of what I need.)
Build it and they will come Laughing
update-firefox.sh.gz
Description  Remove fake .gz extension. Test in sandbox first. This will automatically install gtk3 and libapulse for you.
gz

Download 
Filename  update-firefox.sh.gz 
Filesize  8.76 KB 
Downloaded  7 Time(s) 

Page 42 of 42 [621 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 40, 41, 42
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: