Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 10:23
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
(solved) some issues setting up Tahrpup 6.0
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
nubc

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov 2017, 09:37    Post subject:  

Tahr 6.0.5 would not install a working Firefox 56, so I have reverted to Tahr 6.0.3 and I am fine with this. BTW, what were all those deb files in Tahr 6.0.5's Home directory? On Tahr 6.0.3, YouTube says Seamonkey 2.26.1 is deprecated, obsolete. Pale Moon is version 24,x, but there are packages for 27.x in the Tahr repository, however there is a warning popup saying not to install such packages. So am I stuck with PaleMoon 24.x? This means that FF56 is the only up-to-date browser for Tahr 6.0.3.

I am also not satisfied with the customizations of xvkbd 3.3 that I installed from an Ubuntu repository. The Control Key and Caps Lock have swapped positions, the key names remain in caps regardless of case, the keypad is attached, the Enter key is labeled Return, and there are some unnecessary keys (Meta, Compose). It's ugly, it sucks. I am considering systematically exchanging files with the Slacko version. I would like to modify this krappy Ubuntu version, but I can't find the location of the actual code for the xvkbd keyboard. There are some instructions for Quick Modifiers that are just impossible to comprehend.

EDIT: Ah! I changed the layout to Small Keyboard, then the appearance and behavior improved. However, the Caps lock and Control key are still in swapped positions, and I had to re-add Function keys/Backspace. I do not know how to make my customizations permanent.
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov 2017, 21:12    Post subject:  

Tahrpup should have a PaleMoon updater program in menu>Internet

Use that to update PaleMoon.

I use it all the time.
My version of PaleMoon is 27.5.1
Doing this post using it.

nubc

PostPosted: Sat 11 Nov 2017, 22:32    Post subject:  

Pale Moon installer
Code:
The latest Pale Moon version could not be retrieved

I uninstalled Pale Moon with the installer, now it's gone for good. Tried to install Pale Moon 27.1,0 no go.
Code:
root# palemoon
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/palemoon/libicudata.so.52:
/opt/palemoon/libicudata.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
root#

I opened Puppy Event Manager, set the save file to 0, which I have done before but it didn't take. Then I ticked the box to Ask to save upon shutdown, rebooted and did not see a dialog to not save. Maybe I should have done a shutdown to see the dialog. So Pale Moon is really lost now.

EDIT: Fixed it. I ran Tahr 6.0.5 as live CD with pfix=ram. Upgraded Pale Moon, then located /opt/Pale Moon. There were two directories here, which I copied to the Tahr 6.0.2/3 frugal install. Pale Moon opened and it's updated to 27.6.0 in Tahr 6.0.2/3. I checked out YouTube, no warnings, played fine.

Ugh, XVkbd 3.3 virtual keyboard cannot enter a URL in address field of Pale Moon 27.6.0. Must type the URL elsewhere, then copy & paste to address field. Grrr

Back to Firefox...
nubc

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov 2017, 00:35    Post subject:  

Since I am having audio trouble with Tahr 603 (32-bit), I have decided to install Tahr 6.0.5/6, assuming that Firefox 57 will install and audio can be made to work, as has been reported. To that end, I am looking for Tahr 6.0.6 because I did experience failure to install FF56 in Tahr 6.0.5. So how does this work, do I install 605 and update to 606, or is there a Tahr 606 ISO available? Please provide links.
perdido

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov 2017, 00:48    Post subject:  

Looks like an .iso of 606 exists.
Don't know about patches.
This url is the directory of many tahrpup CE iso files.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/

nubc

PostPosted: Wed 22 Nov 2017, 12:00    Post subject:  

I see a devx_tahr 6.0.6 barebones and a tahr 6.0.6 uefi, but I don't see a tahr 6.0.6 that I could use.
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: