XenialPup64 With XFCE-4.12

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
belham2

#21 Post by belham2 »

perdido wrote:
belham2 wrote:Hi Battleshooter,

Hey, is it possible I could make an appeal to you here about this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 331#972331

I want to completely dump all the Xenial64 stuff because Phil is simply not supporting and hasn't been for many months now.

And I am stuck of getting the fixes for the wpa2 KRACK (that Ubuntu's been pushing out for over 8 days now).

Is there any chance you could have a look, see if you could to see if your skills could give us a fix? I provided a link on that msg thread (that I wrote to Phil).

It would be greatly appreciated. As things stand, for pups only (ddogs have the update/upgrade licked long ago), you are the only one keeping anything going with respect to true 64-bit and Xenial.

If we lose Xenial, and Peebe doesn't want to do true 64-bit, then the only options we'll have are Barry's EasyLinux and Slacko700 and going back to Ddogs.

Thank you for any consideration :wink:
Wonder if you tried this?
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/c ... supplicant

Click on orange "Download "wpasupplicant" 64-bit deb package"

Maybe
Perdido,

Thanks for the link. :wink: I went ahead and download what Ubuntu they had there, and just uextracted it all and patiently (mind-numbingly, lol) manually installed every bit of it. It seemed to go ok, at least I hope so (impossible to tell with Ubuntu's maddening naming schemes for all updates and/or security fixes). Thanks again.

Moat

#22 Post by Moat »

Beautiful, Battleshooter! 8) Just playing around running without a savefile (mostly with the new Firefox, which I'm finding to be blistering fast) - so far, things looking great, & incredibly responsive on this old desktop. WiFi, sound, video resolution all good.

One issue - wondering if anybody else is finding the PPM not updating? Click the "Update now" button, and the "configure" window immediately disappears and reappears, ready to be selected again - and no other apparent background download activity.

Otherwise - danged nice! I'm typically not a fan of flat icon themes, but this default set is nice enough I actually think I could live with it... :)

Bob

(edit to add;) Yes, some weirdness with menu entries - installed items in usr/share/applications/ either not displaying in their respective categories, or not displaying at all (even the pre-installed Firefox did not show for me in the default menu without some .desktop tweaks). And no shutdown GUI (although shutdown-gui is installed and functional). A regression/deprecation in the XDG standards or something, I'd bet... :?

Code: Select all

root# inxi -F
System:    Host: puppypc18600 Kernel: 4.13.3 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4 Distro: xenialpup64 7.0.8.5
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380 serial: 62B2LN1
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 serial: ..CN1374007U08KF.
           Bios: Dell v: A01 date: 03/11/2010
CPU:       Dual core Pentium E5400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2693 MHz 2: 2693 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.3
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: f0:4d:a2:24:1c:26
           Card-2: NetGear WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
           driver: ath9k_htc
           IF: wlan0 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDS72101 size: 160.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: STORAGE_DEVICE size: 7.9GB
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 130 Uptime: 2:28 Memory: 537.9/3851.7MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 
root# 

Terry H

No sound Firefox 57.0b10

#23 Post by Terry H »

I was checking out whether Netflix works in the installed Firefox 57.0b10, I discovered that I can't get sound in Firefox. I also checked Youtube. I checked that there isn't a mute in the player window controls. I had just adjusted the alsa mixer to increase volume just prior, the panel control is on full volume. Any idea how I can get sound working?

Sound is working OK using Vivaldi.

Edit: This is using my laptop Dell Latitude 3350 Core i3-5005U. Haven't loaded this release to desktop with AMD FX6100 yet, so not sure if sound will work there yet.
Last edited by Terry H on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

Re: No sound Firefox 57.0b10

#24 Post by belham2 »

Terry H wrote:I was checking out whether Netflix works in the installed Firefox 57.0b10, I discovered that I can't get sound in Firefox. I also checked Youtube. I checked that there isn't a mute in the player window controls. I had just adjusted the alsa mixer to increase volume just prior, the panel control is on full volume. Any idea how I can get sound working?

Hi Terry!

Just saw your post as I was about to log off (am having problems with phil's latest 7.0.8.6).

Hey as I am typing this, I am watching Netflix right now (the new StarTrek) in Battleshooter's Xenial64-XFCE. But I am watching it using the latest Chrome (just released today, 62.0.3202.75, I think). Everything works great, sound too.

Doing it in latest 64-bit Firefox, the pic quality was worse, plus I also had to fiddle getting the sound to work correctly, so I gave up and went back into the arms of the monster-of-malice Google herself.

Hope you get it working! :wink:

Terry H

Re: No sound Firefox 57.0b10

#25 Post by Terry H »

belham2 wrote:
Terry H wrote:I was checking out whether Netflix works in the installed Firefox 57.0b10, I discovered that I can't get sound in Firefox. I also checked Youtube. I checked that there isn't a mute in the player window controls. I had just adjusted the alsa mixer to increase volume just prior, the panel control is on full volume. Any idea how I can get sound working?

Hi Terry!

Just saw your post as I was about to log off (am having problems with phil's latest 7.0.8.6).

Hey as I am typing this, I am watching Netflix right now (the new StarTrek) in Battleshooter's Xenial64-XFCE. But I am watching it using the latest Chrome (just released today, 62.0.3202.75, I think). Everything works great, sound too.

Doing it in latest 64-bit Firefox, the pic quality was worse, plus I also had to fiddle getting the sound to work correctly, so I gave up and went back into the arms of the monster-of-malice Google herself.

Hope you get it working! :wink:
This version of firefox looks really slick, picture quality of netflix was fine, just no sound. I have been using vivaldi for the last couple of days. I createded an sfs of the latest current release 1.12. Updated widevine and its working really well.

p310don

#26 Post by p310don »

Netflix was the first thing I checked, worked fine after enabling DRM in firefox (which was automatic).

rg66

#27 Post by rg66 »

battleshooter and anyone else using Xfce (with gvfs), while playing around with slacko-6.9.9.9 I've discovered that /usr/lib/gio/modules/giomodule.cache should have a gvfs entry. According to the slackware install script, the commands

/usr/bin/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules
and

/usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
should be run after installing gvfs. I would think that /usr/lib/gio/modules/giomodule.cache and /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled should be added to the build after running hose commands. My partitions seem to mount faster afterwards but I could be hallucinating. :wink:
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

p310don

#28 Post by p310don »

Not sure what I've done to make this not work (if it was me).

I have no drive icons on the desktop. I would especially like to have USB drives show up when plugged in.

I have tried right clicking on the desktop, going to "desktop settings" and ticking the removable items box under icons. That doesn't seem to achieve anything.

Geoffrey

#29 Post by Geoffrey »

p310don wrote:Not sure what I've done to make this not work (if it was me).

I have no drive icons on the desktop. I would especially like to have USB drives show up when plugged in.

I have tried right clicking on the desktop, going to "desktop settings" and ticking the removable items box under icons. That doesn't seem to achieve anything.
Drive icons only show for me when I select Other Devices in desktop settings Removable Devices drop down menu
Attachments
otherdevices.png
(40.05 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

p310don

#30 Post by p310don »

Nevermind. I ticked the "other devices" box and they ALL show up. ALL in capitals because I also get some random folders; pts, floppy, proc & sys also now show up on the desktop.

Can I get rid of those somehow?

p310don

#31 Post by p310don »

New problem.

I think this is my last niggle (hopefully).

In Carolina I had the cups-pdf printer print directly to a file in a directory. In this, it brings up a dialog box to choose a location. Doesn't matter if I print from the local PC, or one of the attached windows machines, the dialog comes up.

All the info I can find says to edit the cups-pdf.conf file in /etc/cups/ except that file doesn't seem to exist here, so I'm stuck again.

p310don

#32 Post by p310don »

Also - how do I get WINE working in this?

battleshooter

#33 Post by battleshooter »

Sorry I've been quiet lately. I've been really trying to get my head around using Git and Woof-CE to maintain this project.

@Terry I think I may be experiencing this no sound in Firefox issue as well. I think it's a conflict between sound cards and Firefox or apulse is picking the wrong one. I recently installed firmware for the hdmi ports on my new graphics card (I upgraded my ancient AMD RV770 graphics card Belham :lol:) and now Firefox has difficulty getting the correct sound card. I had to manually pick it with ALSA Wizard, but it lost the configuration after one Youtube video so I need to look more into it.
rg66 wrote:battleshooter and anyone else using Xfce (with gvfs), while playing around with slacko-6.9.9.9 I've discovered that /usr/lib/gio/modules/giomodule.cache should have a gvfs entry. According to the slackware install script, the commands

/usr/bin/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules
and

/usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
should be run after installing gvfs. I would think that /usr/lib/gio/modules/giomodule.cache and /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled should be added to the build after running hose commands. My partitions seem to mount faster afterwards but I could be hallucinating. :wink:
I had a play around with that Rg, running the commands for some reason caused me to get the duplicate Thunar drives issue, but at this point in time, I've done a lot of weird stuff to my pup save trying to get the XFCE pet scripts working.

@p310don those pts sys icons have been plaguing me from the inception of this project. I hid them as Geoff showed because I don't have a fix to make them hidden. On the other hand in recent XFCE builds I now have even more incorrectly displayed system mount point icons ugh :evil: So either I'm getting closer to working out where they're being called from or I really am drowning in my own bugs :cry:

I'll have to look into the CUPS-PDF issue and Wine hmm, Fatdog makes it look really difficult to setup, but I'll give my attempts at Git study a break and looks at something "easier" like 64bit Wine :lol:

Finally, this has a handy update of the latest firmware if anyone has devices not working or dmesg firmware errors. Cleaned up all of mine at least.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial-upda ... e/download
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

mikeslr

To get Wine working

#34 Post by mikeslr »

Hi p310don,

You get Wine working the same way as under XenialPup64.

0. If using a SaveFile, you'll need 180Mb +/- MINIMUM of Free Space + Additional space 3 times the size of any apps you intend to install. But see below.

1. Download the 32bit_compatibility_libs_xenial64.sfs from the Xenialpup64 repo. (Note the name may be slightly different, as I may have changed the name on my storage to distinguish it from the 32bit_capatibility_libs.sfs for Tahrpup64.)
2. Load the 32bit_capatibility_libs.sfs.
3. Either look for the code to edit /etc on the Xenialpup64 thread as I can never remember formulas or install the attached pet which performs the edit for you.
4. Open a terminal and type "ldconfig" -- best to use cut & paste rather than guess whether the first letter is a small "EL", a numeral "one" or a capital "Eye". I think the first. There should be a noticeable delay between the time you press Enter on the terminal and the terminal signifies its completed the command by returning the prompt. If the terminal becomes available instantly, something went wrong. Re-enter the correct command.

5. Restart-X (AKA Graphical Server). May require a (Save &) reboot. Before installing Wine, recommend you try to open some other small 32-bit application, either an SFS or a External (i.e., something you don't have to install). My test application is opera 12.16, unpacked to a folder on /mnt/home and run from there. If it doesn't open, something's gone wrong and there's no sense in installing Wine. But see below.

6. Install one of Version2013's Wine pets (but see below). http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 128#725128

7. Open a terminal and type "wine winecfg" to set up the Wine environment. But see below.

Thereafter you should be able to run "exe's" --including setup.exe's-- merely be clicking them.

As an alternative to installing Wine, you could try portable-wine from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 452#971452. Less than 1Mb of additional space within a SaveFile --beyond that required by the 32bit compatibility layer-- will be needed; none for applications. Registering portable-wine and configuring it replaces the test to see if the compatibility layer is working. As explained on that post, all wine commands are in the form "wine.sh COMMAND' rather than just 'wine COMMAND'. If anything has gone wrong, removing portable-wine is as simple as Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager>Uninstall>wine-portable-1.0.

Under Xfce Puppies, portable-wine will appear as a folder named wine-portable. Left-Click the folder to enter it. Under other Xfce Puppies, I was able to Left-Click the bash-script named "Register" to "install" the link to this External Application. This didn't work under XenialPup64 with XFCE-4.12. What did work was to open Register in Geany, then copy its entire contents into a terminal and press enter.

Thereafter, Wine Config will appear on the Utility Menu. Clicking it will configure Portable-Wine. There'll be a listing, Wine Windows Program Loader, on the System Menu providing access to all installed 'Windows' programs.

mikesLr
Attachments
xen64enable32bit.pet
Writes necessary changes to /etc.
(373 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 10 Nov 2017, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.

Marv

#35 Post by Marv »

battleshooter wrote:@p310don those pts sys icons have been plaguing me from the inception of this project. I hid them as Geoff showed because I don't have a fix to make them hidden. On the other hand in recent XFCE builds I now have even more incorrectly displayed system mount point icons ugh :evil: So either I'm getting closer to working out where they're being called from or I really am drowning in my own bugs :cry:
Hi battleshooter, I'm back from the land of no-wireless but with a spouse with a broken leg :cry: :cry: I have the latest running fine on my i5 laptop with no issues, other than an acute time shortage on my part. Two scatterbrained thoughts:
One, Thunar (and PCManFM) both pick up the extra 'drives' to display from /etc/fstab. I first just deleted the contents of that file once running. No more false drives and days and days of troublefree running. If any of the mount points are used once pup is running, I can't see where. However, fstab is used in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. There is a mount -a there, so a blank fstab file gives a nag at the switch to a layered filesystem though amazingly the pup runs fine. What I do now -bad kludge alert- is replace fstab with a blank file using a script in /root/Startup or a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local and swap back the original fstab in rc.shutdown. Somewhere a more elegant solution awaits.

T'other, I lean toward lean pups so having all the big stuff in the adrive leaves the possibility of a Carolina-lite like main SFS. Firefox??

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Dry Falls

#36 Post by Dry Falls »

Battleshooter, I had the same mtpoint problem with three separate builds of JL64 with pcman and xfce-4-12.1 from slackware (no drives or partitions (icons for proc, sys, devsave,pts). Each time it was a bad installation of gvfs-1.34. Reinstalled gvfs and it fixed the problem. I didn't have a problem with the earlier (1.26) gvfs.

df

battleshooter

#37 Post by battleshooter »

That is epic Mike! Thank you for doing the heavy lifting for me :D

I'll have to give that a go and see if I can make it into a neat pet. I didn't know version2013 aka greendome was still making wine pets and that they work on Xenial64...sweeeet!

Welcome back Marv, sorry to hear about your better half's leg :?

Oh my, that is such a dirty hack haha. I discovered that too, that removing the entries from fstab did remove the icons, but as you found the difficulty was when one rebooted. I didn't think of your hack, I'm very impressed with the ingenuity :lol:

I don't mind splitting up the heavy files into the adrv at all, it is more Carolina like. Something else to look into.

@Dry Falls Thank you very much for the advice DF, glad even just for the confirmation that someone else has had this issue. I tried using an old 1.26 ubuntu deb of gvfs, but it doesn't seem to fix it for me. Though I may need to remove it completely as I just installed it over top.

It looks like the component that's causing my many unnecessary icons is glib? When I compile it with --with-pcre=system I get about double (not duplicates, but more individual system mount points) the amount of icons as when I don't use the --with-pcre=system flag.

Does this mean it is something more to do with Pup-Volume-Monitor?

How do you normally compile GVFS? I'd love to hear more from you as you're seemingly the only person that has encountered this issue and solved it.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

mikeslr

Just a note about getting Portable Wine working

#38 Post by mikeslr »

Hi battleshooter & all,

You know what they say about "assume". :lol:

Well, I tried the instructions I gave about setting up portable-wine based on my experience under other xfce-Puppies. Ran into a snag. :oops: Developed a workaround. :) Have amended the instructions given at the bottom of this post. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 806#973806.

mikesLr

belham2

#39 Post by belham2 »

Hi Battleshooter and all,

Am not trying to sound intemperate without any ability to wait (haha), but how's things going on the next iteration of XFCE Xenialpup 64 based on Phil's latest release?

Any projected release date? A week? Two? A month? Two (somebody stop me here... 8) )

mikeslr

#40 Post by mikeslr »

Hi belham2,

Stop :!: :!: Take a deep breath. Return to my suggestion to contemplate the significance of time. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 381#973381 :P :lol:

mikesLr