(solved) some issues setting up Tahrpup 6.0

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

(solved) some issues setting up Tahrpup 6.0

#1 Post by nubc »

How is the standard version of Tahr 6.0 different from the CE version? I upgraded both to 6.0.3

I tried to play a YouTube video and got a message that my browser FF 56.0 (32-bit) does not play the new format HTML5 and H.264. Not sure what's going on here.There's an invitation to install YouTube HTML5 Player, which I'm not inclined to do. Can someone explain, give advice on how to overcome this refusal?

I tried to install the AdBlock Plus add-on and got a message that the download was corrupt from that source, but Adblock for Firefox did work, but it's a little different.

I've already got a frugal install of Slacko 5.7 with a slackosave file (2048 MB) in root of sda1 (30 GB). There are three files in root associated with Tahr in the root directory 163 MB, 335 MB and 30MB. Did I mess up the sizing of the Tahr save file? Ah, looks like Tahrsave is 335 MB, so I need to resize it, or start all over. How do I resize Tahrsave? I see a lot of system folders. I believe these directories are from a failed attempt to install Slacko on a 4TB drive, which failed. Can I remove these system files? There's a run file with an arrow on it, what's that?

The valid files on the sda1 drive, related to Slacko 5.7 and Tahr 6.0.3 are

slackosave.3fs 2048 M
puppy_slacko_5.7.0.sfs 157 M
tahrsave 335M
puppy_tahr_6.0.sfs 163 M
zdrv_tahr_6.0.sfs 30M

fsckme.flg 19 B

Are these files all I need, or do I need the run directory (with arrow)?
Last edited by nubc on Sat 25 Nov 2017, 18:34, edited 4 times in total.

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

The drive partition, sda1, will be dedicated to, at present, two frugal installs, namely Slacko 5.7.0 and Tahr 6.0.3 CE. Earlier I attempted and failed to full install Slacko 6.3, but this failed, leaving system files in the partition. I deleted most of those system files, except for three. There was a root folder that contained tahr files, so I kept that. I deleted tmp, leaving only root and symlik run. After deleting tmp, run changed to a triangle with exclamation point, so I re-created tmp and the error cleared. So there are now 3 system folders that I can't figure out, in addition to two frugal files for Slacko and 3 frugal files for Tahr. While the Slacko save file is 2048 MB, the Tahr save file is 335 MB, and so I attempted to resize the Tahr savefile, but this was refused by the running Tahr frugal install. I booted up Slacko frugal, and attempted to resize Tahrsave, but the Slacko save file was presented for adjustment. This doesn't make much sense to me. But I have never had a partition dedicated to multiple frugal installs, so I need to be educated about these odd inconsistencies.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

It really sounds like you have a mixed up mess of files.
You probably just need to delete everything and start over fresh.

If this is going on a partition, Windows uses, and is formatted ntfs or fat32.
Need to run Windows defrag and chkdsk programs, on the partition, before installing any Puppy.
slackosave.3fs 2048 M
puppy_slacko_5.7.0.sfs 157 M
tahrsave 335M
puppy_tahr_6.0.sfs 163 M
zdrv_tahr_6.0.sfs 30M

fsckme.flg 19 B
If this is all the files you have you do not have them installed correctly.
You are missing stuff.
Each frugal install should be in a directory(folder) of it's own.
Inside that directory should be all the stuff that is in the respective iso package file.

Example:
Directory named tahr605
All contents of the Tahrpup 6.0.5 iso in this directory.
The save also goes in this directory when you make the save.

You can have any number of frugal installs on one partition or multiple partitions of one drive.
Each in it's own directory(folder)

Do need to install a boot loader, to list them all, and make a menu to select from.
Grub4dos bootloader config run from any Puppy can install one.
In Grub4dos config.
Just select the drive the Puppies are on, as the place to install Grub4dos.
Select search only this device

That CE in the Tahrpup name started out as Tahrpup the community edition, because a lot of the community worked on it.
Later the CE was dropped.
Just a name change, that's all it is.

For Tahrpup you need to be using V 6.0.5 or 6.0.6.
They are the latest with the latest bug fixes.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/

So, get the frugal installs correct and see how it now works.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

so I attempted to resize the Tahr save file
Every Puppy version has a program used to resize the save.
Menu>Utility>Resize Personal Storage file

It will only resize the save file, for the Puppy you are running the program in.

If the save file is on a location formatted fat32. The save file is limited to max size of 4GB. Fat32 file size limit.

If the save is placed on a location formatted in a Linux format (ext2,3,or4)
Can use save folder option and the size self adjusts as needed.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

I tried to play a YouTube video and got a message that my browser FF 56.0 (32-bit) does not play the new format HTML5 and H.246. Not sure what's going on here.There's an invitation to install YouTube HTML5 Player,
Use PaleMoon browser that comes installed in Tahrpup or install it in Slacko.
It does not seem to have any of the problems Firefox is having lately.
It is really not much different from Firefox.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

I don't use Windows, it's all ext3. I'm booting from a CD. I switch the CD to change the version from Slacko to Tahr. I put the 3 Tahr files in a folder, and the 2 Slacko files in another folder, and it's booting after a 11 second delay searching for the save file. You say a frugal install has other directories? Can you please list all files and directories for a single frugal installl? It's booting from CD, so there's no need for a boot directory. There are 3 stray files left:

Run (symlink to tmp)
tmp
Root

EDIT: Okay I deleted the above 3 stray directories, and both frugals are booting fine from their two respective directories. The fsckme.flg file gets rewritten every time I change CD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that booting from CD is the only way to "install" Puppy on a 4TB drive. Tahr does many things that Slacko doesn't do, like openvpn, so I need to use an Ubuntu/Debian based OS. Ya, I should have installed Tahr 6.0.5, but, on the other hand, I don't really need to be upgrading the kernel. I'll run a live CD to see if I like Tahr 6.0.5. My Slacko 5.7 is running FF 45, but most YT downloader add-ons require FF 48 now. YouTube says PaleMoon is old and no longer supported.

nubc

#7 Post by nubc »

off topic
Last edited by nubc on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

Actually, there is a box lower left on main YouTube page, you can click "NO Thanks" and the "old browser" will work. I'm using FF27, and after the beg and plead, everything works OK.

I tried FF45.8esr, and it is a PITA to configure the ads, and unwanted stuff to go away. The older FF27 needs just two addons for YT to function (included), and all the monetizing dissapears. No other D/L's are needed.

Slacko5.7-2018 has it look here.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

OscarTalks

#9 Post by OscarTalks »

nubc wrote:Tahr does many things that Slacko doesn't do, like openvpn
There is a build of openvpn which I compiled in Slacko 5.7 a little while back here:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/openvpn- ... acko57.pet
Oscar in England

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

I should have installed Tahr 6.0.5, but, on the other hand, I don't really need to be upgrading the kernel
The Tahr 6.0.5 version has a lot of improvements and bug fixes.
Even a newer kernel has improvements and fixes.

PaleMoon update in Tahrpup.
menu>Internet>PaleMoon-updater
Latest version of PaleMoon 27.5.1

I have no problems with YouTube using this browser.
I have no add-ons and have not had to add anything to get it to work.
You say a frugal install has other directories? Can you please list all files and directories for a single frugal install?
This is if you are going to install Puppy to the computer hard drive.

Each frugal install should be in a directory(folder) of it's own.
Inside that directory should be all the stuff that is in the respective iso package file.
Only need one directory for each frugal install.
Nothing in it but the files from the Puppy iso package.

Example:
Directory named tahr605
All contents of the Tahrpup 6.0.5 iso in this directory.
The save also goes in this directory when you make the save.

You can have any number of frugal installs on one partition or multiple partitions of one drive.
Each in it's own directory(folder)

Do need to install a boot loader, to list them all, and make a menu to select from.
Grub4dos bootloader config run from any Puppy can install one.
In Grub4dos config.
Just select the drive the Puppies are on, as the place to install Grub4dos.
Select search only this device.

Now that we know you are running Puppy from a live CD.
Those added Puppy files, you have on the hard drive, are suppose to help make the CD boot faster.
They probably got installed when you made the save file.
That is one of the options when making the save for a live CD.
Put some of the Puppy files on the hard drive, so they do not have to be read from the slower CD.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#11 Post by nubc »

I ran Tahr 6.0.5, and allowed it to upgrade Tahr 6.0, so I can upgrade if I want. I lose all my work, unfortunately. Are you saying I won't need a CD if i install grub4dos on sda1? Those stray directories were likely the remainders of a failed attempt to do a full install, which is impossible on a 4 TB hard drive. One of the main reasons I decided to use Tahr is that Slacko's FF45 is now so old that I can't get good add-ons. I have no motivation to use PaleMoon, just because it's working for now. I'm not interested in PaleMoon. I'm not even sure that PM can do desired add-ons. On the other hand FF56 was released in September 2017, and is due for an important upgrade this month in November. I appreciate that you recommend grub4dos, but I may have tried that before, and it failed because grub, any grub, cannot handle 4TB hard drive!

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Sorry I know nothing about booting Linux on a 4TB drive.
They have to use GPT as the partition table.
Grub4dos cannot handle the GPT.

Probably is some other Linux boot loader that can, but I do not know what it is.
Google search should bring up something you could use.
Maybe this:
http://www.lightofdawn.org/wiki/wiki.cgi/BIOSBootGPT
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#13 Post by nubc »

off topic
Last edited by nubc on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Questions about firefox --start a new thread!

#14 Post by mikeslr »

Hi nubc,

When a question is answered it is hoped that the information provided will help not only the person who asked the question but also all future fans who have a similar question: the person with the issue doesn't have to wait for someone to answer but can find the information needed by putting a couple of keywords into a search box such as https://puppysearch.neocities.org/, and those who provide answers don't have to keep repeating the same information. That means that future readers have to be able to find posts relating to the problems they are having.

The Forum is almost a decade old and holds many thousands posts. The only way for anyone, newbie or not, to find and make sense of relevant discussions is to try to maintain some semblance of order in the first place. That requires that the titles of posts which will be read by search engines be informative of the issue and that the thread of posts concerning that issue be limited to that issue.

Your co-operation is needed. Your questions regarding firefox are not about the basic setup issues for which you started this thread. Please open another thread specifically concerning your questions about firefox.

mikesLr

nubc

#15 Post by nubc »

Happy to comply, mikeslr, but beg to differ. An OS is useless without a working, up-to-date browser. Other than the OS, the browser is the most important part of a setup. I'm installing Tahr not because the Slacko kernel fails to do things for me, but rather because the browser was no longer upgradeable, and it's deprecated. It would be siily for me to install another OS, just to be stuck with an obsolete browser that gets a warning everywhere I go. One can't even use an old browser on certain email sites. Old browsers are security risks. It also seems that the Firefox browser is major PITA for Tahr 6.0.5, that has yet to be resolved. Which makes me the guinea pig. I hate being the guinea pig, that's why I wait until a version is well-developed before I install and use it. The browser issue is Tahr's problem, and probably belongs here. When solved, I will be glad to share it with the main thread by 666phil.

nubc

#16 Post by nubc »

Tahr 6.0.5 would not install a working Firefox 56, so I have reverted to Tahr 6.0.3 and I am fine with this. BTW, what were all those deb files in Tahr 6.0.5's Home directory? On Tahr 6.0.3, YouTube says Seamonkey 2.26.1 is deprecated, obsolete. Pale Moon is version 24,x, but there are packages for 27.x in the Tahr repository, however there is a warning popup saying not to install such packages. So am I stuck with PaleMoon 24.x? This means that FF56 is the only up-to-date browser for Tahr 6.0.3.

I am also not satisfied with the customizations of xvkbd 3.3 that I installed from an Ubuntu repository. The Control Key and Caps Lock have swapped positions, the key names remain in caps regardless of case, the keypad is attached, the Enter key is labeled Return, and there are some unnecessary keys (Meta, Compose). It's ugly, it sucks. I am considering systematically exchanging files with the Slacko version. I would like to modify this krappy Ubuntu version, but I can't find the location of the actual code for the xvkbd keyboard. There are some instructions for Quick Modifiers that are just impossible to comprehend.

EDIT: Ah! I changed the layout to Small Keyboard, then the appearance and behavior improved. However, the Caps lock and Control key are still in swapped positions, and I had to re-add Function keys/Backspace. I do not know how to make my customizations permanent.

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

Tahrpup should have a PaleMoon updater program in menu>Internet

Use that to update PaleMoon.

I use it all the time.
My version of PaleMoon is 27.5.1
Doing this post using it.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#18 Post by nubc »

Pale Moon installer

Code: Select all

The latest Pale Moon version could not be retrieved

I uninstalled Pale Moon with the installer, now it's gone for good. Tried to install Pale Moon 27.1,0 no go.

Code: Select all

root# palemoon
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /opt/palemoon/libicudata.so.52:
/opt/palemoon/libicudata.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
root# 
I opened Puppy Event Manager, set the save file to 0, which I have done before but it didn't take. Then I ticked the box to Ask to save upon shutdown, rebooted and did not see a dialog to not save. Maybe I should have done a shutdown to see the dialog. So Pale Moon is really lost now.

EDIT: Fixed it. I ran Tahr 6.0.5 as live CD with pfix=ram. Upgraded Pale Moon, then located /opt/Pale Moon. There were two directories here, which I copied to the Tahr 6.0.2/3 frugal install. Pale Moon opened and it's updated to 27.6.0 in Tahr 6.0.2/3. I checked out YouTube, no warnings, played fine.

Ugh, XVkbd 3.3 virtual keyboard cannot enter a URL in address field of Pale Moon 27.6.0. Must type the URL elsewhere, then copy & paste to address field. Grrr

Back to Firefox...

nubc

#19 Post by nubc »

Since I am having audio trouble with Tahr 603 (32-bit), I have decided to install Tahr 6.0.5/6, assuming that Firefox 57 will install and audio can be made to work, as has been reported. To that end, I am looking for Tahr 6.0.6 because I did experience failure to install FF56 in Tahr 6.0.5. So how does this work, do I install 605 and update to 606, or is there a Tahr 606 ISO available? Please provide links.

perdido

#20 Post by perdido »

Looks like an .iso of 606 exists.
Don't know about patches.
This url is the directory of many tahrpup CE iso files.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/