Vivaldi installer

Miscellaneous tools
labbe5

Vivaldi installer

#1 Post by labbe5 »

This tool is written totally in BASH to install the latest stable version of the Vivaldi web browser from their repo.
There are two versions which include one for DEB based 64-bit hardware systems (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) and one for DEB and RPM based systems running on either 32-bit or 64-bit hardware. The second script will auto detect the package manager type, system bit, and correct repo URL.
Both scripts will download the latest stable version, install Vivaldi, then remove the installation file. The programs are designed to run on their own however can easily be added to another script or called by one.

From README :

There are two files brought over from GIST:

1) **vivaldi-debian-bash.sh** => Is for Debian based Linuxes running on 64-bit hardware

2) **vivaldi-general-bash.sh** => Is for Debian and RPM based Linuxes running on 32 or 64-bit hardware

Both installers will download the latest version to your ~/Downloads/ from the Vivaldi repo (using curl), install it (using gdebi, yum, or dnf), and then remove the file.

I have used "vivaldi-debian-bash.sh" in my environment. However since I prefer Debian based desktop Linuxes I have NOT heavily tested "vivaldi-general-bash.sh". I don't run 32-bit hardware or RPM based Linux desktops. The checks were returning the correct files. Do feel free to let me know should you encounter a problem and I'll see what I can do to fix the code. Still NO guarantees are implied.

Also both scripts are written to run, on their own, after download, and execute permission set. However, obviously, one could incorporate the code into a more extensive script or call it from another.

zip here : https://www.cyberws.com/bash/vivaldi-bash-installer/

UPDATE
The extracted zip package lets you choose between two bash scripts. If using 32-bit debiandog, use vivaldi-general-bash.sh, but you need to make it executable before installing vivaldi : chmod 700 vivaldi-general-bash.sh
Then do : ./vivaldi-general-bash.sh in terminal
Installer will install vivaldi.
But if you use debiandog as root, vivaldi will tell you to switch to user, unless you use this flag --no-sandbox. Sandboxing is a feature to have a more secure browser.

I have vivaldi installed in latest debiandog following above instructions.