Neomagic problem with 2.13 solved

Please post any bugs you have found
cherriepuppy

Neomagic problem with 2.13 solved

#1 Post by cherriepuppy »

Hi all

got a problem with 2.13 on a toshiba 7010ct laptop. with 2.12 and previous puppy's when the xorgwizard failed on this lappy i could use xorgconfig to set up X manually. i dont seem to be able to do this with 2.13. it stops after probing video hardware with the following
Calling INT 0x15 (F000:F859)
EAX is 5F49
Calling INT 0x15 (F000:F859)
EAX is 5F49
then just a blinking cursor. I can CRTL-C and get to a console and run xorgconfig and set it up but when i have done that and type xwin, it restarts the wizard.

any help appreciated

toshiba portege 7010ct
160MB ram
20g hd
Neomagic graphics chip

cherriepuppy
Last edited by cherriepuppy on Thu 04 Jan 2007, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Ah, this is a problem with the new video hardware profiling.

If you open /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin with Geany and scroll down to line 260, you will see this code:

Code: Select all

#Puppy Xorg Video Wizard...
if [ -f /usr/X11R7/bin/Xorg ];then
 if [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf ];then
  if [ "`readlink /usr/X11R7/bin/X`" = "Xorg" ];then
   #v2.13 video hardware profile (must be same as in xorgwizard)...
   DDCPROBE="`ddcprobe`"
   PROFILECHIP="`echo "$DDCPROBE" | grep '^oem: ' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2-4 -d ' ' | tr ' ' '_' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
   PROFILEMONITOR="`echo "$DDCPROBE" | grep --extended-regexp '^monitorrange: |^monitorid: |^eisa: ' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d ':' | sed -e 's/ //g' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
   HARDWAREPROFILE="${PROFILECHIP}${PROFILEMONITOR}"
   #find out if current xorg.conf matches this profile...
   CURRENTPROFILE="`cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep '^#PuppyHardwareProfile' | cut -f 2 -d '=' | cut -f 1 -d ' '`"
   if [ ! "$CURRENTPROFILE" = "$HARDWAREPROFILE" ];then
    #video hardware has changed. either changed monitor or booting different PC.
    #same current xorg.conf as a profiled filename...
    mv -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${CURRENTPROFILE}
    #if a previous profiled filename for new hardware, use that...
    [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${HARDWAREPROFILE} ] && cp -af /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${HARDWAREPROFILE} /etc/X11/xorg.conf
   fi
  fi
 fi
 if [ ! -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf ];then
  rm -f /etc/.XLOADED 2> /dev/null #not necessary, precaution.
  #1st dialog offers to use Xvesa...
  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
  HAVEX="`readlink /usr/X11R7/bin/X`"
 fi
fi
For now, just comment-out all the hardware-profile testing. This will prevent your xorg.conf file from getting renamed:

# if [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf ];then
#  if [ "`readlink /usr/X11R7/bin/X`" = "Xorg" ];then
#   #v2.13 video hardware profile (must be same as in xorgwizard)...
#   DDCPROBE="`ddcprobe`"
#   PROFILECHIP="`echo "$DDCPROBE" | grep '^oem: ' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2-4 -d ' ' | tr ' ' '_' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
#   PROFILEMONITOR="`echo "$DDCPROBE" | grep --extended-regexp '^monitorrange: |^monitorid: |^eisa: ' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d ':' | sed -e 's/ //g' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
#   HARDWAREPROFILE="${PROFILECHIP}${PROFILEMONITOR}"
#   #find out if current xorg.conf matches this profile...
#   CURRENTPROFILE="`cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep '^#PuppyHardwareProfile' | cut -f 2 -d '=' | cut -f 1 -d ' '`"
#   if [ ! "$CURRENTPROFILE" = "$HARDWAREPROFILE" ];then
#    #video hardware has changed. either changed monitor or booting different PC.
#    #same current xorg.conf as a profiled filename...
#    mv -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${CURRENTPROFILE}
#    #if a previous profiled filename for new hardware, use that...
#    [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${HARDWAREPROFILE} ] && cp -af /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${HARDWAREPROFILE} /etc/X11/xorg.conf
#   fi
#  fi
# fi
  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
 fi
fi

cherriepuppy

Neomagic problem with 2.13 "solved"

#3 Post by cherriepuppy »

thanks barry, worked a treat, now just got to set up wireless and my laptop is up and running again

cherriepuppy

conradcliff

#4 Post by conradcliff »

Sorry For the fact that I'm such a newbie, but I am having a very similar problem with my Toshiba Satellite PIII 500. I've tried using both Xorg and Xvesa but the system stops every time and just gives the little blinking cursor. If I hit cntrl-alt-del after the system stop when I use xorg it just restarts but if I'm using Xvesa it tells me, among other things, that "an attempt has just been made to run X at 640x480x16 but it has not worked."

Unfortunately, being a newb, I do not know how to configure X manually and I also do not know how to open /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin with Geany so I'm kinda stuck. Any help would be awesome! Thanks allot.

MU

#5 Post by MU »

you can use the textmode editor by typing:
mp /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin

Mark

conradcliff

#6 Post by conradcliff »

Thanks for the quick reply, I will type that in but I don't think I will know what to do from there... I am totally new to Linux. Sorry.

conradcliff

#7 Post by conradcliff »

I don't suppose anyone else might be able to point me in the right direction?

conradcliff

#8 Post by conradcliff »

Well, I tried typing in the "mp /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin" at the initial prompt before everything starts loading and it told me that the mp couldn't be found, and it continued to load. I let it try xvesa and then hit cntrl-alt-del to get to the "prompt" (I don't think it really takes be to a prompt but just a blinking cursor) and tried typing it there but nothing happened so I reloaded and hit escape and typed "puppy pfix=rdsh" to exit to the initial ramdisk commandline and I typed it there but it tells me "/bin/sh: mp: not found"

I'm not really sure what I will do with the xorg file once I'm in there anyway so I don't think I would have been in any better shape even if it had worked. If anyone could just give me a little bit of info about how to solve this issue I would really appreciate it...

cherriepuppy

#9 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

just before the boot process starts the xorgwizard you will have to break the sequence by typing "ctrl c" this will get you to the prompt, (might take a few tries) then you can type mp /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin, this will open up xwin inan editor(mp),then scroll down to line 260 and comment out the lines with a #. when done do a ctrl s to save the changes then ctrl q to exit mp.

hope this is of use

cherriepuppy

conradcliff

#10 Post by conradcliff »

Thanks for the reply, I hit cntrl-c right as it was loading the keyboard chooser and it brought me to the promt but when I type everything in it tells me "-sh: mp/usr/X11R7/bin/xwin: no such file or directory"

Any ideas?

cherriepuppy

#11 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

mp /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin

space between mp and /usr/

cherriepuppy

conradcliff

#12 Post by conradcliff »

Oops, worked that time... lets see what happens now...

conradcliff

#13 Post by conradcliff »

All I get is a big black box, I can't see any of the text...
[edit] I tried using e3 and that worked. now to comment everything out.

conradcliff

#14 Post by conradcliff »

Well, I commented everything out but when I try and run xorg or xvesa it still just does the same stuff. I'm really not very sure if after commenting out the hardware profile I was still just supposed to run "xwin" but that's what I did and I'm not getting any results. Any other ideas?

cherriepuppy

#15 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi
after commenting those parts out you can run xorgconfig and set the monitor/screen and graphics chip by answering some questions it ask, save it then run xwin.

cherriepuppy

conradcliff

#16 Post by conradcliff »

Thanks so much for the help, I got through the config wizard and tried to run xwin but it comes back with /usr/x11r7/bin/xwin: line 286 syntax error near unexpected token 'fi'

I tried commenting it out and running xwin again but then the system just locks up at
"this script will run X windows for you...
0x0111 640x480x16
Starting X with video mode 0x0111 and mouse psaux...
and I have to hit cntrl-alt-del. Any idea what might be causig the problem?

Thanks again for all your help...

cherriepuppy

#17 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

getting close now

first thing, it looks like you've commented out one to many lines of xwin. (i did the same thing first off).

next, xwin is trying to start vesa instead of xorg,
at the prompt
cd /usr/X11R7/bin
ln -s Xorg X

then try xwin

cherriepuppy

conradcliff

#18 Post by conradcliff »

BarryK wrote:Ah, this is a problem with the new video hardware profiling.

If you open /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin with Geany and scroll down to line 260, you will see this code:

if [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf ];then
  if [ "`readlink /usr/X11R7/bin/X`" = "Xorg" ];then
   #v2.13 video hardware profile (must be same as in xorgwizard)...
   DDCPROBE="`ddcprobe`"
   PROFILECHIP="`echo "$DDCPROBE" | grep '^oem: ' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2-4 -d ' ' | tr ' ' '_' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
   PROFILEMONITOR="`echo "$DDCPROBE" | grep --extended-regexp '^monitorrange: |^monitorid: |^eisa: ' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d ':' | sed -e 's/ //g' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
   HARDWAREPROFILE="${PROFILECHIP}${PROFILEMONITOR}"
   #find out if current xorg.conf matches this profile...
   CURRENTPROFILE="`cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep '^#PuppyHardwareProfile' | cut -f 2 -d '=' | cut -f 1 -d ' '`"
   if [ ! "$CURRENTPROFILE" = "$HARDWAREPROFILE" ];then
    #video hardware has changed. either changed monitor or booting different PC.
    #same current xorg.conf as a profiled filename...
    mv -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${CURRENTPROFILE}
    #if a previous profiled filename for new hardware, use that...
    [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${HARDWAREPROFILE} ] && cp -af /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${HARDWAREPROFILE} /etc/X11/xorg.conf
   fi
  fi
 fi
  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
 fi
fi
For now, just comment-out all the hardware-profile testing. This will prevent your xorg.conf file from getting renamed:

# if [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf ];then
#  if [ "`readlink /usr/X11R7/bin/X`" = "Xorg" ];then
#   #v2.13 video hardware profile (must be same as in xorgwizard)...
#   DDCPROBE="`ddcprobe`"
#   PROFILECHIP="`echo "$DDCPROBE" | grep '^oem: ' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2-4 -d ' ' | tr ' ' '_' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
#   PROFILEMONITOR="`echo "$DDCPROBE" | grep --extended-regexp '^monitorrange: |^monitorid: |^eisa: ' | head -n 1 | cut -f 2 -d ':' | sed -e 's/ //g' | sed -e 's/[^0-9a-zA-Z]/_/g'`"
#   HARDWAREPROFILE="${PROFILECHIP}${PROFILEMONITOR}"
#   #find out if current xorg.conf matches this profile...
#   CURRENTPROFILE="`cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep '^#PuppyHardwareProfile' | cut -f 2 -d '=' | cut -f 1 -d ' '`"
#   if [ ! "$CURRENTPROFILE" = "$HARDWAREPROFILE" ];then
#    #video hardware has changed. either changed monitor or booting different PC.
#    #same current xorg.conf as a profiled filename...
#    mv -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${CURRENTPROFILE}
#    #if a previous profiled filename for new hardware, use that...
#    [ -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${HARDWAREPROFILE} ] && cp -af /etc/X11/xorg.conf.${HARDWAREPROFILE} /etc/X11/xorg.conf
#   fi
#  fi
# fi
  /usr/sbin/xorgwizard
 fi
fi

As best I can tell I've commented out exactly what is done here. Does anything look wrong with what he has? Also, I typed in the:
cd /usr/X11R7/bin
ln -s Xorg X

After typing the "ln -s Xorg X" (I'm assuming it as a lower case L at the beginning) it simply tells me that the x file exists or something along those lines. Does this sound correct? Once again thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it. I will sing songs of the generosity you have shown me these days to my children and they to theirs and so on and so on.....

conradcliff

#19 Post by conradcliff »

I also just dl'd 2.10 but still nothing. :?

conradcliff

#20 Post by conradcliff »

I think it's time to throw this into a new thread...