3D printing for Tahrpup

Using applications, configuring, problems
ravensrest

3D printing for Tahrpup

#1 Post by ravensrest »

For those of you wanting to start 3D printing, you can now do it from Tahrpup64. Download Cura from here: https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura. Cura is a cross-platform scaler, rotator, and slicer that prepares 3D drawings in the popular STL format for printing on a variety of natively supported printers, and also lets you configure your own printer with minimal fiddling.

The whole program is distributed for linux in the AppImag format, meaning that no installation is necessary. Simply make it executable and double click it to run. I downloaded version 2.7.0, and started it up in Tahrpup 64, v6.05, and it runs beautifully.

You should also be aware of Thingiverse.com. It is a repository for ready-made STL drawings. You can often find an existing drawing for whatever you wish to print. Simply download it, run it thru Cura, save it to a microSD card, insert card into your printer, and go. Can't be much simpler than that.

I am still looking for a "simple" 3D CAD program so I can design my own drawings. If any of you know of one, especially if you have run it successfully in any of the Puppies, please let me know.

BS

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, ravensrest.

Depends on what you mean by a 'simple' (3D?/2D?) CAD program.

I used to use LibreCAD, but for quite a while now I've been using QCad in Tahr64. It, too, is available as an AppImage.....from here:-

https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/Qcad#files

I think it's only 2D, though.....so may not be quite what you're after..!

Have you looked at Openscad?

http://www.openscad.org

This one's definitely 3D.....but again, it all depends on your definition of 'simple', I guess. Most of the Linux stuff appears to be repository-based, but there are a couple of 'generic' tgz archive packages, which may be adaptable.

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, ravensrest.

I had another look at the tar.gz packages from OpenSCAD. Very straight-forward, in fact.....so I've made both 32- and 64-bit versions up into SFS packages. The 64-bit one runs in Tahr64 for definite. The 32-bit version, I've thrown at a handful of older Pups so far; seems to be OK, as long as you don't try running it in something like a 3- or 4-series.

I'll be honest, I don't have a clue how you use these (although I may experiment with them myself). Simple or hard, I wouldn't know.....but if you're interested, here they are:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/j98h9x ... CAD_3D_CAD

Let us know whether they're any use, please!

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.

ravensrest

#4 Post by ravensrest »

Thanks a lot, Mike. I shall give the 64-bit version a try.

Downloaded both. Just successfully ran the 32-bit version in Precise5.7.1.

Will try the 64-bit later.

Thanks again, Mike.

BS

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ravensrest:-

From what I can make out of this, you create the shapes using OpenSCAD's own special 'language', in a text editor. You can then render the shapes in the preview pane to the right. It all seems somewhat complex, though I have no idea if this is normal for the world of 3D modelling/printing.

FWIW, I would recommend using the 'Documentation' link in the 'Help' Menu. It'll take you through to OpenSCAD's tutorials page, where there's a whole bunch of video tutorials that make a lot of this clearer & easier to understand.

(Don't forget about Blender. It's the 'jewel in the crown' of Linux 3D construction/rendering/animation. But I guess what you're after is something like Blender.....only a wee bit easier to get your head round, hmm?)

It might also be worth having a look through the PPM to see if you can find K-3D in the Ubuntu Trusty repos..... That's another fairly well-known one.

ravensrest

#6 Post by ravensrest »

Mike, the OpenSCAD sfs files you put together are running fine. The 32-bit in Precise 571 and the 64-bit in Tahrpup 605.

As near as I can determine, 3D drawing programs are pretty much built the way you suggest; they let you tie together a bunch of simple shapes to create more complex objects. The script creation can take place in the editor page of OpenSCAD, or in a separate text editor and then imported or cut and pasted into OpenSCAD. In any case the creation of simple geometric objects in OpenSCAD is not difficult. Spheres, circles, rectangles, cubes, clylinders and polygons are done with a single command. You can then translate, rotate, scale, join, subtract or otherwise manipulate them. There are numerous tuitorials, help pages, a manual, user groups and other facilities just for OpenSCAD. I was able to produce spacers for some of my model airplane work after only about a half hour or reading material on the web.

Thanks for making up the sfs files.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

ravensrest wrote:Mike, the OpenSCAD sfs files you put together are running fine. The 32-bit in Precise 571 and the 64-bit in Tahrpup 605.

As near as I can determine, 3D drawing programs are pretty much built the way you suggest; they let you tie together a bunch of simple shapes to create more complex objects. The script creation can take place in the editor page of OpenSCAD, or in a separate text editor and then imported or cut and pasted into OpenSCAD. In any case the creation of simple geometric objects in OpenSCAD is not difficult. Spheres, circles, rectangles, cubes, clylinders and polygons are done with a single command. You can then translate, rotate, scale, join, subtract or otherwise manipulate them. There are numerous tuitorials, help pages, a manual, user groups and other facilities just for OpenSCAD. I was able to produce spacers for some of my model airplane work after only about a half hour or reading material on the web.
Good, good, good. Excellent, in fact.

Like I said, I know next to nothing about how 3D printing is controlled. I've read up a wee bit on how the hardware works - quite a fascinating process, BTW; I can see it having numerous medical applications, for instance - but as to how the process is controlled via the actual software, I really am clueless.

But your explanation about making up complex shapes from larger numbers of more simple shapes makes perfect sense. I can see that, given that along with my graphic design hobby, I've been interested in technical drawing for a long while. Got into it way back in sixth form, in fact.....and modern CAD programs are simply the digital way of doing the same thing. And making up complex 2D shapes from simpler ones is all part and parcel of how that works....

If the program helps you, and achieves what you want it to.....then that was the whole point of the excercise. Nice one!

I take it this means you've actually invested in one of these beasts, then? OK, I know the prices are coming down quite rapidly.....but as I understand it, they're still quite a bit more expensive than a standard printer. And that's before you start to purchases the 'consumables'.....

ravensrest

#8 Post by ravensrest »

Some additional info for those of you interested in 3D modeling and printing. You can download the more powerful FreeCAD from here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Download. If you download the AppImage file, no installation is needed. Blender can be had here: https://www.blender.org/download/. Simply download and expand in a directory of your choosing. Then double-click the executable to run. Free CAD is, like OpenSCAD, reasonably quick to learn and operate. Blender will do more than I have any desire to do, but learning it is a bit intimidating. I suggest you begin with OpenSCAD. Then try FreeCAD, and if you are really a glutton for punishment, proceed to Blender.

Mike, I have not yet purchased a printer. I wanted to be sure I could obtain the necessary software before doing so. And, yes, prices have tumbled dramatically. The Anet A8 is available from Gearbest.com for only $145. Numerous vendors are supplying the Prusa i3 for around $150 on eBay. Both require some DIY, but my guess is any Puppy user is up to the task. Monoprice Select Mini is available from Amazon.com for $220. It is highly recommended by at least three of my friends and comes ready to use right out of the box. 1Kg rolls of plastic filament run $20-$30, and one roll will print quite a bit if you are doing parts that are small in volume. A 70mm wheel for one of my RC planes uses 6 grams!

Hope you get yourself one and continue with your early interests.
BS