sdlCC: SDL version of chinese checkers

Play with your Puppy.
mouldy

#21 Post by mouldy »

Ok, googling, somebody saying to run 32bit executable in 64bit linux, have to install the 32bit libraries for that executable????

This maybe more effort than its worth.

ally

#22 Post by ally »

maybe you need the x32 compat libs or try on a 32 bit build

:)

mouldy

#23 Post by mouldy »

This is a time waster game, not worth changing my version Puppy just for it or booting an old version of Puppy just to play it. If I get it working great, if not, too bad. There is an old DOS version Chinese Checkers. Its actually nicer looking but the computer player isnt nearly as smart. However it runs on anything with DOSbox.

Ran into same thing with that old linux pinball game put out by some beer company. The linux version wont run on this version Puppy. And interestingly the windows version wont run on win10. Bit of irony that probably the easiest way to go would be to install WINE and run windows version on Puppy.....

I am old and dont like change....

ally

#24 Post by ally »

then try this: "you need the x86 compat libs"

I presume is doesn't run as it's a 32bit program running on a 64bit operating system

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... o-14.2.sfs

mouldy

#25 Post by mouldy »

Progress! THANKS! Ok, it flashes the board then disappears. Run from terminal, seems it doesnt know what is a ".mod" music file and crashes. Silly thing to crash over that, just play the game without sound.... But it does at least try to run and thats useful piece of knowledge. Again thanks for the sfs file. I remember when Puppy was smaller than that SFS file, but its easiest way to go.

ally

#26 Post by ally »

sorry, can't help there

mouldy

#27 Post by mouldy »

I installed milkytracker and it can play the mod sound files. Set it as default to play such but still get that error. I think its something to do with the SDL_mixer?

It still is complaining of unrecognized music format for lemon.mod

mouldy

#28 Post by mouldy »

ally wrote:sorry, can't help there

Thats ok, you got me closer to making it work. If I can figure out what is trying to recognize lemon.mod and failing, no doubt it will run. Lemon.mod is the startup music while it waits for you to make player selections or thats my guess.

mouldy

#29 Post by mouldy »

Ok, gotta remember it needs 32bit libraries. I opened the SFS and it doesnt have the 32bit SDL files. Well duh, no SDL_mixer, isnt going to work. I will try copying them from a 32bit Puppy to the SFS. Guess you can do that.... Will try.

Matter fact will make sure all those listed files Muggins gave early in this thread are there. But need to do other things right now.

And get this going, might try the pinball game. Should work if the SFS has all 32bit libraries it needs. That pinball game is truly a classic, way ahead of its time as it had to run on much lower spec computers.

mouldy

#30 Post by mouldy »

I got sdlCC working on 32bit Puppy and moved all library files to that SFS. Nope, same problem. Its confused with that lemon.mod sound file.

However I do now have Rollemup, that Dommelisch beer pinball game working. So hurrah for that. I cant believe how hard it is to find some of these older games. I mean they are still fun to play.

Hmm, dont suppose sdlCC could be compiled on a 64bit Puppy? Assuming the source files are available.

ally

#31 Post by ally »

I would have a look at the ISOs I listed previously, they are packed with games

HoerMirAuf

#32 Post by HoerMirAuf »

Hi moldy.

the "lemon.mod" troublemaker is the libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0.12.0 from the 32bit-combat-slacko-14.2.sfs package.

Install this sdlmixer pet (includes the libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0.10.1, a previous version):
sdlmixer-1.2-i386.pet

or extract this tar file to /usr/lib:
sdlmixer-1.2-i386.tar.gz

And sdlCC will run ;)

Edit:

Ok. Did some work and compiled a x64 version from source:
sdlCC-0.0.0-x86_64.pet

Have fun :)
[size=75][color=blue]Bionic64[/color][/size]

ally

#33 Post by ally »

hi H

thanks for chipping in

mirrored the x64 pet here:

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... x86_64.pet

mouldy

#34 Post by mouldy »

Thanks, I will try that. Just did and woohoo, it plays.

In meantime I found an alternative chinese checkers game. Bordeaux1-Chinese-Checkers-1.0.jar Yea its a java game and I had to install java, but it runs well and the AI opponent is ok.

So now two choices though sdlCC is a time honored favorite for me. Its quirky but fun. Glad it will live on as Puppy changes with the times.