How to use WIRE in Puppy.....

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Mike Walsh

How to use WIRE in Puppy.....

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, my apologies to Flash if this appears to duplicate other postings of recent months. I wanted to collate all the information about this in a single thread, rather than having it scattered across multiple threads.

WIRE is a totally open-source, modern VOIP/chat client, and is a thoroughly viable replacement for Skype, since it is available cross-platform.

https://wire.com/en/

Even though in this case it uses the non-viewable AppImage format (amongst many others), the source code is freely available, and viewable at Github, here:-

https://github.com/wireapp

There are 119 'pinned' repositories. Amongst these is the Electron-based version, which is another 'rising star' among cross-platform app formats.....and it's another format I can thoroughly recommend.

The easiest way to use WIRE in Puppy is to make use of the WIRE AppImages, available from the download page, here:-

https://wire.com/en/download/

Scroll down to the bottom, and you will see the Linux stuff. Use the little arrow to bring up the drop-down list, and select either the 32-bit, or 64-bit AppImage, depending on your requirements. Download which one you need.

(DON'T bother going to the AppImage download site

https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages

.....as they're still offering the now out-of-date version which I've just updated from (see below - 10/10/17), which is more than a year old, and now unsupported & non-functional.)

----------------------------------------------------------------

These AppImages can be run from anywhere, simply by clicking on the AppImage 'binary'.....although there is a 'minimum requirement' of >=glibc 2.15. Personally, I've run up a Menu entry for this, so's I could add it to the tray 'launcher' area, using JWM DeskManager. When you start WIRE for the first time, after a few moments (since it's unpacking in /tmp), you'll be presented with a window, in which you can either create a new a/c, or log-in to an existing one. Follow the instructions - it's all very self-explanatory - and do what you wish to do.

Upon start-up, WIRE will create a configuration directory within /root/.config. This will contain, amongst other things, your usage history. More on this in a bit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it's cross-platform, you can probably (with a little bit of 'wheedling' :lol: ) get friends/family to easily install the Windows/Mac versions, so that you can make use of this as you would Skype. It does work well; I've been using this for a few months now to chat with a couple of friends in the States, without issue.

Webcams are detected straight-away. It helps to use a UVC-compliant model if at all possible, since this makes life easier for the kernel drivers. I've just recently replaced the big Compaq's HP HD 2300 with a Creative Live Cam! Sync VF0770HD; both UVC-compliant, and both on the UVC Projects's supported list:-

http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

The HP is now performing sterling service on the old Dell lappie.

Don't worry about product names & model numbers; the all-important thing is the device ID code. If that appears anywhere on the list, the chipset will be supported by the uvc (USB Video Class) kernel module. You may have an ID not on the list which still works OOTB; the support list is a 'work in progress', and is being constantly updated.

For audio, I use a headset, with integrated microphone, which plugs into the big Compaq's standard front mike and headphone sockets via 3.5 mm plugs. As long as the correct audio card is selected (check with Menu->Setup->Multiple Sound Card Wizard), capture level is set to around 1/4 to 1/3 in Retrovol (rt-clk volume icon->Full window), capture source set to 'Mic', and the correct microphone input selected (check this with 'arecord' in the terminal), it should work fine.

I haven't tried this with the webcam's built-in microphone, but again, it should only be a case of selecting the correct sound card and mike.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you running a single Pup, you can ignore the next section. For anyone running multiple Pups on the same machine, read on...

WIRE's single annoying habit is that if you 'install' or use this on more than one Puppy, it creates a separate 'chat history' per install. They don't 'sync', the way Skype does. It creates a config folder in /root/.config where all this info resides. Skype's config is cloud-based, linked to your a/c; WIRE's is local, linked to the 'install'. :shock:

I run a single instance of WIRE (a single 32-bit AppImage shared between 9 Pups), and a separate 64-bit AppImage for Tahr64. To get around the lack of syncing, I've copied the 'Wire' folder in /root/.config from one Puppy to a remote location, accessible to all Pups.....and then, deleted/sym-linked this back to /root/.config. I've then sym-linked this config folder into every other Pup at the same location. Result? As far as WIRE's now concerned, you're running a single instance of itself.....and your chat 'history' is preserved across all of your Puppies.

WIRE GmBH say that this lack of 'syncing' is for 'security reasons'. I understand the logic behind it; it's primarily a smartphone app. Most people have a single smartphone, which they keep with them at all times. If it falls into the wrong hands, without this two-step 'verification' (if you like), then your chat history/settings/details are inaccessible. Theoretically.... :roll:

Although the Linux desktop client is freely available, it still behaves like the phone app.....although, in practice, it's only folks like us, wanting to run the same apps in more than one OS, that would run into this wee 'problem'..! :lol:

However, you do NOT need to give a phone number to be able to use this.

Because WIRE is hosted in the EU, and developed by a Swiss company, you can trust that the full end-to-end encryption is as good as it says.....because the Swiss are bordering on OBSESSIVE when it comes to secrecy, security, and total privacy.

(Think Swiss bank accounts.....)
:roll: :lol:

(And for those of you concerned about such things, the open-source security components of WIRE are regularly audited. Scroll to the bottom of this page to view the PDF report's findings.)

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 05 Nov 2017, 18:25, edited 20 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just a quick update for y'all.

I've just found out that keeping WIRE up to date does in fact mean a manual re-install of the AppImage......it appears WIRE doesn't have a built-in updater, in the same way as the Telegram chat client does (when you download that, you get a pair of binaries; the app itself.....and an Updater 'helper' binary).

Two days ago WIRE was running fine in all Pups. Tonight, every Pup I tried to run it in, I was getting 'This browser is unsupported...' To me, this proves that the WIRE desktop client works exactly the same as the new Skype for Linux 'Beta' does; although you install it like any other program, and start it from the desktop, it actually runs through a 'web interface'. As with Skype, if you start the 'web' version in your browser, the interface is identical.....even down to your chosen colour scheme.

I checked the current version on the Wire download page, and compared it to the version I've been using. Seems I was nearly 15 versions out-of-date.... One download later (nearly twice the size! :roll: ), all is working fine again.

So; you DO need to check the website's download page from time to time.

tony

Wire How to

#3 Post by tony »

Hi Mike,

just got Wire set up on my computer, it took about five minutes. A bit different from setting up Skype. The vidio looks better too.

Slight problem was realising that the applmage permissions had to be changed for it to execute.

Now all I have to do is get my family to use Wire also.

Regards Tony.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo again, Tony.

Mmm..! Yes, you do need to remember to give the AppImage 'execute' permissions (right-clk, Properties, tick the 'Execute' checkboxes usually does it). It's the one thing that's common to all AppImages, no matter the platform or architecture; they all come in this condition.

But at least it has the advantage of being written for every platform. Windoze, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS.....it matters not what you run, they all get a 'look-in'.

Let us know how you get on with it, please.

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

Interesting find, Mike_Walsh.
Thanks.

It's my loss that I didn't notice your thread earlier.

Hopefully, I'll be back with a pet of the latest version (AOTW:
v. 3.4.2879_i386.deb) for the Upups.

Things I noticed in spite of not wanting to: :)
(how do you say that in proper English?) :lol:
-- has 54 locales (pls see attached scrot);
-- based on Chromium.

BFN.
Attachments
wire-locales.jpg
(The "locales" list file below is not in the original. I first thought of posting that
listing, but finally I decided to attach this scrot.)
(126.33 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Hello again Mike_Walsh and all!

A couple of questions, if I may, the answers to which I did not find in the
Wire Help:
-- is there a directory of users?

-- I suppose the headphone/mike set-up is as simple as plugging in the
head-set?

-- Does it matter if I do not have a camera?

-- I would like to test it with someone. Will give my Wire username by PM
upon request to an understanding, big-hearted :), volunteer. I say
"big-hearted", because this is new to me. I tried a connection with another
forum member once through the framasoft specialized RTC site, but I
couldn't connect properly through seamonkey.

Of course, an "appointment" time would have to be scheduled for the
conversation.

Any other advice/tips people want to share will be appreciated.

One comment about the FR locale:
-- it's not terrible. Understandable, but really not idiomatic.
Does anyone have feedback on the quality of the other locales?

We don't really need a pet. Because it is as simple as:
-- downloading the ubuntu *.deb archive for it from
https://wire-app.wire.com/linux/debian/ ... 9_i386.deb
-- Now, make sure you have lots of room in your pupsave: over 160 Mbs.
Then install the deb archive in the usual way, with petget. (I.e., click on it.)

Then run:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
# /root/my-applications/bin/WhereIsPuppy.sh
####
awk -F"'" '$1 ~ /PDEV1/ { print $2 }' /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE > /tmp/where
awk -F"'" '$1 ~ /PSUBDIR/ { print $2 }' /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE >> /tmp/where
sleep 1s
# cat -s /tmp/where
PuppyHere="/mnt/`head -1 /tmp/where``tail -1 /tmp/where`"
cd $PuppyHere
mv /opt/Wire .
ln -s ./Wire  /opt/Wire
This little script moves your newly created Wire dir., from /opt to your Puppy
dir. (so gives you back the pupsave space), and creates a symlink of Wire
in /opt, so the executable thinks it's still there.

Almost forgot:
this technique cannot apply to Upups running from CD/DVD. :oops:

TWYL
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, musher0.

In actual fact, there's an even simpler way of getting WIRE. Just go to their site, and download the AppImage. This is still available in both 32- and 64-bit versions; I've just upgraded mine by downloading the new versions (apparently released on my birthday last month (Nov. 23rd).

Just like an SFS, when you no longer want it, just delete it, and it's gone. But unlike your method, these things can be run from a LiveCD.....because they're totally self-contained.

The beauty of these is that you can sit the actual AppImage itself outside of Puppyspace, and just drag it to the desktop for a 'link'. It's how I've done it.....although I've also put together a Menu entry for it as well.

Get it from here:-

https://wire.com/en/

Click on the big green 'Get Started Now' button.

Follow the left-hand column (Personal) down to the 'Download Now' button.

On the Downloads page, under the big green button that says 'Experimental Binary', click on 'Details' (in small black print). This will bring up a list, from where you can select either 32- or 64-bit AppImages.

When you've downloaded it, you need to set 'Execute' permissions on it. I find it's easiest just to rt-click->Properties; tick all three of the 'Execute' checkboxes in the right hand column, followed by clicking on 'Refresh', before closing. This turns the 'Rox' entry from black to green, showing it'll now execute.

Now, just left-click on it as you would any other app. It takes several seconds before you see much happening, because it's unpacking itself into /tmp for the duration. You'll find this current version asks if you want it to integrate into your system Menu, etc. Personally, I wouldn't bother, for reasons already explained.

When it fires up, it'll ask you to either create an a/c, or to log-in to an existing one.

------------------------------------------------------------------

User directory, I don't know. I don't think so, because this thing has end to end encryption, and, unlike Skype, doesn't rely on a 'cloud server' model. I believe it's more like peer-to-peer; the work is done mainly by each user's machine, instead......and you're almost certainly using what amounts to a VPN, anyway.

As for headphone/mic set-up, you do need to select your sources. Bottom right of the main left-hand column, you'll find a wee 'gear' icon. Click on this, and it'll bring up Preferences/settings. Last entry is for webcam/headset/mike, etc. Make sure you've got things set correctly to start with (default sources, etc).....all you need to do is use the 'drop-downs', and select the appropriate sources. It's no more complicated than that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd be happy to try it out with you. I've recently invested in a decent-quality Logitech headset, which has finally enabled me to start doing no end of things I could never do properly before.....and all because it has its own sound card, built-in to the rather 'chunky' USB connector. Makes it a snap to use, too!

Entirely up to you, of course.