Puppy linux for kids

Booting, installing, newbie
simon.kiga

Puppy linux for kids

#1 Post by simon.kiga »

I'm new to Puppy and linux.
I'm trying to set up a puppy for my kids to run on usb flash only
everything works fine but its way to easy to get acces to the internal drives! :?

I hope there is a way to make all Ntfs drives unvisible.
i would like to let them click everywhere without bringing the internal drives at risk. Can I just uninstall ntfs drivers? and how would i do this?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Smithy

#2 Post by Smithy »

Hi,
Here's a link to a puppy kiosk mode setup, you should be able to make a suitable remaster for what yo want to achieve.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=55907

In particular this:

Subject description: Clear the Desktop of All Icons. Remove Filesystem Access. Remove Root Access. Disable All Loop Holes
(Quick and Dirty Version:)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment out clean_desk_icons and pup_event_frontend_d lines in the /root/.xinitrc file.
Run the Drive Icon Manager (R-Click a Drive Icon) and uncheck all boxes in all tabs.
Edit the file /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin & Delete all Lines beginning with <icon .
(That should keep All Icons from coming up on the Desktop including Drive Icons.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or you could physically splice the drive power cable(s) and add a simple on/off switch then attach to the computer casing somewhere.

simon.kiga

Perfect

#3 Post by simon.kiga »

Thank you Smithy, you killed my biggest enemy "the drive icon" with one shot!

now theres just one thing left:
how can i get rid of the tray? and how could i make it visible again?

mostly_lurking

#4 Post by mostly_lurking »

simon.kiga wrote:how can i get rid of the tray? and how could i make it visible again?
If your Puppy is using the JWM window manager, you can probably get rid of the tray by removing its entry from the /root/.jwmrc-tray file (you can display hidden files like this one in the ROX file manager by clicking the "eye" icon). Then restart JWM. (In the case of my experiment, there was only one entry and removing it left me with a file that contained only "<JWM></JWM>".

If you make a copy of that file before you edit it, you can toggle the tray on and off by swapping the files out; I've written up a quick-and-dirty script for it (the copied file was called ".jwmrc-tray-unused"):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
mv -f /root/.jwmrc-tray /root/.jwmrc-tray-tmp
mv -f /root/.jwmrc-tray-unused /root/.jwmrc-tray
mv -f /root/.jwmrc-tray-tmp /root/.jwmrc-tray-unused
jwm -restart
I've saved that script in /usr/bin under the name "tray_toggle" (and made it executable by running chmod 755 /usr/bin/tray_toggle in a terminal; you can also right-click the file and choose "Permissions" from the menu), and now running it from a terminal or a desktop shortcut - or the command prompt after exiting the X server - turns the tray on and off.

simon.kiga

Thank you. The Tray is gone!

#5 Post by simon.kiga »

This worked perfekt! This place is great!
I feel save enough with the possability to show up the menu with F12.
so at the Moment there is no need to get the Tray back on.

But there is still another thing that worries me: Menu options with the right click.

how can i get rid of that one???

6502coder

Re: Thank you. The Tray is gone!

#6 Post by 6502coder »

simon.kiga wrote:But there is still another thing that worries me: Menu options with the right click.

how can i get rid of that one???
Simon, meet LenseOnLife:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 724#971724